Chernobyl cooling water lake.

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Moxi

Chernobyl cooling water lake.

Post by Moxi »

I was absently surfing google earth earlier and I popped over to look at the Chernobyl site and was astonished to see the once massive cooling water feed lake was almost completely drained now and overgrown.

https://earth.google.com/web/@51.379201 ... _____8BEAA

I recall that at one time the lake was infamous for the radioactive fish it was said it contained, considering it was a drain point for a lot of surface water run off around the station I am surprised that its been allowed to dry out ? I remember the Russians spent billions of Rubel's and decades to fill in the Lake Karachay when it started to dry up an release highly radioactive dust that had resulted from decades of dumping nuclear waste arising from the adjacent nuclear weapons research facilities.

Moxi
nowty

Re: Chernobyl cooling water lake.

Post by nowty »

The abandoned city of Pripyat near it is still on my bucket list of "interesting" places to visit, I nearly went before COVID, then the war started so it may be some time before I make the visit, if ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pripyat

I managed to drive my EV within 280 miles of it last month when visiting the "tri point" on the banks of the Bug river before being in Polish military custody for a few hours. :facepalm:
SWMBO still has me on the naughty step for that escapade. :fight:
Last edited by nowty on Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 108MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 24MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Worked on the de stillage unit for units 1 2 and 3 a while back but that was all done in Slovakia, nearly took a contract when they were building the new sarcophagus cover but got married instead.

I find it fascinating how the wildlife is continually adapting, good job mamma nature is smarter than mankind init!

Moxi
Coriolis

Post by Coriolis »

Jeremy Wade visited Chernobyl in River Monsters: