Grand designs passivhaus premium

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mart

Re: Grand designs passivhaus premium

Post by Mart »

Thanks Paul, very interesting. Best of luck to you and Tinbum.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

Tinbum wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:27 pmI have planning to build a new house and then knock down our old one but haven't started yet due to 'the gift that keeps on giving' - Long Covid. I am going to build to passivhaus standards but not bother with the red tape of certification.
That was my starting point, but over time I've come to see more and more value in certification. Think of it much less as a certificate/plaque to put by the front door ( :teapot: ) and more as quality control. Essentially the certifier is a third party inspector working for me who confirms that the architects have done their sums right and the builders have done what I paid them to. I work in aerospace and the value of knowing I get what I've specified is something I understand really well.
Initially I wasn't fussed about building to any particular standard, but given the things I want from the house it's pretty much come out in the wash that I've got a building design which will be at or very close to Passivhaus Premium.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just watching E04 with the blended family on the double garage plot. This is more real. :D

All the best to Paul & Tinbum, exciting times!
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Paul_F wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:59 pm
Tinbum wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:27 pmI have planning to build a new house and then knock down our old one but haven't started yet due to 'the gift that keeps on giving' - Long Covid. I am going to build to passivhaus standards but not bother with the red tape of certification.
That was my starting point, but over time I've come to see more and more value in certification. Think of it much less as a certificate/plaque to put by the front door ( :teapot: ) and more as quality control. Essentially the certifier is a third party inspector working for me who confirms that the architects have done their sums right and the builders have done what I paid them to. I work in aerospace and the value of knowing I get what I've specified is something I understand really well.
Initially I wasn't fussed about building to any particular standard, but given the things I want from the house it's pretty much come out in the wash that I've got a building design which will be at or very close to Passivhaus Premium.
I can understand that but mine is to be a self build so I'm in control of it all and my wife says I'm too much of a perfectionist as it is. I was involved in a very long standing family building business, but closed that down just before the pandemic. It's very hard to make money and do a proper job as a small business.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:08 pm Remember its television.

I thought it very weak as no mention of heating/temp control or HW.
The PV export was limited by grid.
In winter one can have zero PV so clearly the 4X mantra must be over the yr ? Get the cert with electric bikes and buy the EV later.
Heating was mentioned - a sole wood burning stove. I imagine the DHW is via immersion given the power station on the roof.
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Gledhill 450l
Solis Mini 4G 3kW/Sharp ND210/2.94kWp
SB1600/Sharp ND220/1.76kWp
SB1600/Kinve 235/2.115kWp
Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 11kW
SoFar ME3000/Pylontech US2000/19.2kWh
Ecodan 11kW HP
MG4
Zoe R135
PVOutput
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Moxi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:08 am
I much prefer the designs like the woodsman's home made from his own woodland and skills - that to me is the pinnacle.
Moxi
That woodsman house was absolutley stunning in every respect, huge respect for somebody who can use his own hands to create something as purposefull and amazingly beautiful and homely as that building. A complete work of art.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:10 pm
Moxi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:08 am
I much prefer the designs like the woodsman's home made from his own woodland and skills - that to me is the pinnacle.
Moxi
That woodsman house was absolutley stunning in every respect, huge respect for somebody who can use his own hands to create something as purposefull and amazingly beautiful and homely as that building. A complete work of art.
Ben, excellent dedicated dude.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

He has a fairy extensive website now
Mart

Post by Mart »

AGT wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:34 pm He has a fairy extensive website now
Just for clarification, is anyone allowed to use that site to help find fabulous woodland creatures, or is it a site that's exclusively for the use of said paranormals? :?

Asking for a friend?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Mart wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:54 am
AGT wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:34 pm He has a fairy extensive website now
Just for clarification, is anyone allowed to use that site to help find fabulous woodland creatures, or is it a site that's exclusively for the use of said paranormals? :?

Asking for a friend?
Mart if you are hoping to find creatures such as shown below on the website, I think you may be a bit disappointed!

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf