generator over voltage

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Justme

Re: generator over voltage

Post by Justme »

billi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:33 pm
Nor would I be putting 333v into a 240v device.
Wky not ?

If you dislike the idea of reducing revs or applying a load then i guess you wont find out

https://www.amazon.com/Clover-Stainless ... B09XB13N75
over voltage is a sure fire way to kill devices.
Also it still wont have found my actual fault so I just dont see the point.
I am not looking for a work around. This set up has works correctly for 2 years so once fault is found will do so again.
Justme

Post by Justme »

rogeriko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:37 pm Not for your current situation Justme but general information about matching generators to off grid setups.

If you have a dodgy generator of any type or voltage you can put a fullwave rectifier on the output to give you DC voltage. It could be a three phase generator with a 3 phase rectifier or a 110v generator. Anyway this DC voltage you connect to the PV input of a regular cheap Grid Tied Inverter. The AC output of the inverter you connect to your Off Grid setup. The GTI must be smaller than the output of the generator because it will just run at full power. The PV GTI inverter will think the DC voltage is solar power and start feeding your grid. As long as you have an Off grid battery inverter like SMA or many others this will charge your batteries from the GTI output and when the batteries are charged or there is no more demand on your grid it will shut the GTI down and no longer take any load from the generator which will just idle.
I did consider a similar option for my pto gennerator. But using direct mains into the CU & letting the multipluss II's charge the bats. But as you say the charge must be => than the genny which in my case they are not.

If I did this with the main genny Ithink my numbers wont work.

genny 11kw (single phase 240v but can be split to 110v as well, or even further as it has more wires).
2 x multiplus II 5000 48 70

Even at max charge thats 8.4kw

Would also need a helish sized rectifier.

Or would say a 8kw grid inverter limit the draw on the genny & as the charge drops the multi will phase shift bringing the "solar" power down.
billi

Post by billi »

same Idea Roger is to rectify , a Generator to DC and plug it into the MPPT chargecontroller (depending on Voltage of both )
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I, like others above, would expect the signal to the AVR is dead - hence the AVR is trying to energise the rotor to bump up the sensed voltage. Always assuming your meter is reading correctly when checking the grid supply.

Without full details of the generator, people are just guessing - just like me.

If it is a cheap chinese clone, all bets are off for a repair! (buy cheap, buy twice🙂).
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

How about some pictures of the AVR and slip ring assembly / machine type. ?
Justme

Post by Justme »

Oliver90owner wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 am I, like others above, would expect the signal to the AVR is dead - hence the AVR is trying to energise the rotor to bump up the sensed voltage. Always assuming your meter is reading correctly when checking the grid supply.

Without full details of the generator, people are just guessing - just like me.

If it is a cheap chinese clone, all bets are off for a repair! (buy cheap, buy twice🙂).
The genny or the AVR?

Hyundai genny about £6k

AVR yes they all seem like cheap clones now.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Well all fixed now.'

Just goes to show you cant trust new parts to be ok.

Fitted a second new AVR today & the voltage is rock steady.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Pleased to hear you have it fixed

Moxi