Off adventuring!

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Re: Off adventuring!

Post by Joeboy »

No 1 & were out for dinner tonight. A few kids came in with Instruments, I lugged In to their vocals and they sounded well North of us. Long story short, they are Russian musical kids as were the rest of the lads n lassies that flitted into the cafe/bar.

The boy on keyboard was playing the doors rider's on the storm as if it was last days. I was agog.

Turns out there is a flood of Russian refugees in our village. Almost all, young educated nice kids not wanting to get shot. Fair play to them, but no clue. None at all.

Bit of a fucken shock though, offering a nice couple a seat beside you to listen to the music as we were reet close to the music and they've flee'd Russia and ended up sitting right beside us!

When I got to the bottom of who these folk were and the displacement timeline, I asked the whole crew (maybe 40) to join me at the local Hogmanay bash. I reckon it'll be a 2 grand night and you know what, I simply couldn't give a fuck. SWMBO who arrives on the 31st is gonna be well shocked. :D

Fuck it though eh? Man up or fuck off. Protect the weak, show compassion, that's it. Ho-ho-ho. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Nice one ;)

As an aside, most of the reviews (well, what I saw) for the hand cranked generator were from Ukraine, which makes sense.

The most :shock: , though, was that Aliexpress, or their agents, we’re still getting stuff through (<21 days) in a reasonable time.

The little gennie may not be the most efficient or robust, but in extremis, looks a nice bit of kit to have in your emergency cupboard.
Last edited by Bugtownboy on Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Aye I saw that predeliction in the reviews towards Ukraine. Felt weird reading that then stepping into my luxury marble wet room.

2 hours after that for the Russian self displaced enclave, whats the odds? I always felt that conscience objector was an awkward phrase?

Yet they are, regardless of the greater crimes of Putin and they're here.

I walked through Dachau a few years back and i'll be honest. I won't kill ye, the thing I offer at Hogmanay won't sustain ye but it might offer a chance at that most fragile of things, recognition from another human and the beginning of a network. I'll bring them in.....

Beyond that? Craick the fuck on, build it or just fuck off. Not very Moses but there ye go....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Baseus shop (be wary though some similar shops trading with baseus in the title..
But, I recommend the brand for durability, most of our cables have been theirs for a few years now, inc nightly used bedside usb charger, & they have that led if you choose joe ;-)

https://baseus.aliexpress.com/store/234 ... 1802lqKISm

&
https://baseus2.aliexpress.com/store/12 ... 1802lqKISm

Both okin my book!

If you rate the powerbank, i'd love to give one a try if you / no1 are amenable. & have luggage space, ..do they sell 18650 fireproof pouches out there joe (if so, might be a winner carrying larger li-ion through *cough* ..depends how the security are based on your experience.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Agreed Joe, those who fled don't want war, dont want to die in one, & are just in limbo till they can go home a long proposition with unknown consequences for family & themselves.. I used to run into middle age Russians in chamonix who were out of control 11am bottle caners, not seen that of the youth, (phew)

We're all travellers, it's how we carry ourselves as much as our luggage when abroad, good people are good people full stop.

This guys story in full elsewhere, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... exhibition. shows how uniforms normal citizens are dragged into the war, ..the border guards *not* stopping youth leaving russia are to be commended, ... "we were overwhelmed comrade commander" *cough* ..coulda turned out so differently if they were "good nazi" russian fsb types & not just fellas.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:52 pm Agreed Joe, those who fled don't want war, dont want to die in one, & are just in limbo till they can go home a long proposition with unknown consequences for family & themselves.. I used to run into middle age Russians in chamonix who were out of control 11am bottle caners, not seen that of the youth, (phew)

We're all travellers, it's how we carry ourselves as much as our luggage when abroad, good people are good people full stop.

This guys story in full elsewhere, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... exhibition. shows how uniforms normal citizens are dragged into the war, ..the border guards *not* stopping youth leaving russia are to be commended, ... "we were overwhelmed comrade commander" *cough* ..coulda turned out so differently if they were "good nazi" russian fsb types & not just fellas.
Ach, I'm admittedly a bit burst up at the moment but this chance to not be a c**t has been dropped in front of me so I'll have a crack at it. The recipients should know hee haw... 8-)

I'll be honest, see their faces... clucking 🔔 man...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:49 pm
As an aside, most of the reviews (well, what I saw) for the hand cranked generator were from Ukraine, which makes sense.
When I saw that hand crank gadget, I thought “what ?”, but when I saw your post, it really brings it home to the extreme reality out there. Even if its only enough to charge your phone, its gold dust.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:52 am
Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:49 pm
When I saw that hand crank gadget, I thought “what ?”, but when I saw your post, it really brings it home to the extreme reality out there. Even if its only enough to charge your phone, its gold dust.
The fella Furkan in the electronics shop yesterday told me he had recently sold a big powerbank to a Turkish/Ukrainian couple who were heading back to Ukraine and they knew that power would be spotty.

There are 100W solar panels out there (fold out 4 piece) that have a 5V output built in. That plus a big powerbank to charge and in miniature a copy of what we run our homes on? Chuck in some low power led lights, tunes on the phone and it would be looking good! :D

That handcrank generator though, that's getting it done by yourself if ever I seen it! 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Woohoo, another powercut, a chance to test a light. Verdict? Brilliant, does exactly what you'd want, no fuss. :D

This is setting one. I offer no apologies for the bedlinen colour, I was not involved. :lol:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy