Off adventuring!

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Re: Off adventuring!

Post by Joeboy »

Thanks Gus, I've actually come in a massive circle which started last year on ebay and arrived back at precisely this same spot but at Amazon. Handy for the Bongo too. Doesn't have to stay out here so I can play at home . It's in my Amazon basket at the moment. Pondering ongoing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Charge ... YXRm&psc=1

Edit 10 minutes later, Pondering complete, bought @ £73. :D

There are two versions of the 28W big blue available. I went for the older version passing on the ammeter version. The older unit has three usb ports not two, larger better performing panels according to review, is a tenner cheaper and due to the more awkward usb port access has a better chance of getting through a rainshower unscathed.

The amazon review
' I purchased the non amp meter version. YouTube reviews from as back to 2017 show the same Sun Power cells as the latest 2022 amp meter version. So the new Sun Power 36W have the same cells as the non amp meter one I purchased. Anyhow, I had both today side by side, and tested. Amp meter unit with Sun Power cells was useless. Did not even start to charge the iPhone 13pro Max through my window. Meter showed 0.0. The non version started charging the phone through the same window and angle. Very low current @ 0.7A but it seems to have more sensitive cells. I am sending the amp meter unit back and settling for the older model. I thought Sun Power were better cells, seems not. Also the Sun Power cells are smaller in size than the older version'

The guys name is Christopher Emmanuel, his review with photos is a few down in the review list section. Worth a look to see the side by side comparison of the panel size.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Charge ... YXRm&psc=1

It also gave me the opportunity to buy a shonky aliexpress usb amp meter. :)

P.S, if you are looking for one of these big blue panels, be careful. The various website reviews are all over the place with regard to the actual specs, text and photos of the two generations. Much laziness and mixing up.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I am hearing that power is going off 11am to 5pm today.

No fear of that here.

Battery packs mostly charged.
Wi fi hot spot charged.
Phones not so much charged but certainly covered.
Mobile speakers charged.
Mobile lights x 3 charged (not exactly essential in daylight).
200 ltr water tank full.
HUGE ice cubes in freezer.
Kettle on stand by via gas hob pan.

Bigblue on order. Get that final piece in place and we are good to go. SWMBO's says I'm nuts. Fair enough but i'd rather have fallbacks than sit in the dark, no comms, no tunes & no shower.... :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Hah she says you are nuts, but you can continue with the little daily tasks that you take for granted when you have power.

We think the same, my wife things I’m nuts too sometimes….. then gets on board.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:08 am Hah she says you are nuts, but you can continue with the little daily tasks that you take for granted when you have power.

We think the same, my wife things I’m nuts too sometimes….. then gets on board.
Power is now off so we are off grid and communicating in a 5V world. :lol: 8-)

I love it when a plan comes together. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

My long distance thoughts / hunch on the big blue brand are that they put out exactly the same name slapped on a generic unit as many of the others to be frank.
One giveaway being the screenprint banding similarity to others put out across various platforms since pre 2016 on my radar.

I have a feeling that most of this kit comes from one or two wholesalers, to which many buyers have opted in on a "free" pocket logo screenprint banding.
They have a 2 tier choice commonly of metal rings (better) or oxford material tags 😑 as the cleat / pegging solution for hanging.

If you spot an embroidered logo that tends to be a smaller company doing all assembly & stitching of sunpower cells it by itself.
The advertising of sunpower as the typically used module was never really mentioned anywhere until my now defunct review because of fraudulent paid for reviews churning out any old sh1t (inc amazon vine list) ..lucky for a few genuinely interested reviewers who are solarphiles & outdoorsman.

The problem is vine is the catalyst of "freebie reviewing" that peaked a few years back, but those of us who bothered to review properly discounted items we were genuinely interested in suffered in the clearing of reviews & reviewers.

The black "cooking pocket" is still a prevalent feature marketed & used by bad reviewers, but the latest onboard ammeters are on the "sunny side up" ...neither shielded nor shaded joe will have to take his flir to Turkey with him to measure the heat stress of the plug in module & second guess the situation with the latest incarnation.

Suffice to say, pocket for cables, separate usb ammeter & connector adaptor + a clip-lock bag (non ikea, a heavy duty thick guage one) & some decent silica gels. charge kit from the shaded side or better, shading batteries & electronics is the no brainer eluding both design & buyers typically.

That built in ammeter will be blue / red led in full sun !? ....fecking tools switching between A + V ..no test recording status or owt.
Another big problem which wasnt ever advertised by the majority was the problem charging many phones / devices now likely down as "self check" ..the absence and inclusion of both caused many numpty buyers problems & subsequently mixed reviews swearing black was white & vice versa.

A few comprehensive reviews stand out because they can be bothered, whether discounted product or simply bought via need, ..its a grey area indeed where portable solar is concerned.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The final decision was based on something you said previously Gus. If I buy from Ali ex I have no warranty. With Amazon I have a 30 day return that's relatively hasslefree.

Once we get back home I'll run up the Gen 2 bigblue model and see how long it takes to charge my daily 23.8mAh powerbank. It has a % display so I'll see quickly how it performs. If it's pish, back it will go and I'll have had a real world test to myself.

Currently kicking back, some Floyd blasting, again 5V gear. Gotta love this stuff.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

do you want me to post a couple of usb ammeters or are they sorted via amazon too? (unless its a 15 day ali order)
if so pm & ill post today.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

The eceen by contrast has 4+ screenprnt logos on it & spec detail.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:50 am do you want me to post a couple of usb ammeters or are they sorted via amazon too? (unless its a 15 day ali order)
if so pm & ill post today.
No thanks but thank you. I got my Ali X fix at 5am here. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

sheesh-kebabs its fast to basted turkey land. (shakes fist)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS