Question for the Brewers

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mr Gus

Question for the Brewers

Post by Mr Gus »

Question for the Brewers..

Having got hold of a very cheap, unused large 210 litre food safe fermenting barrel, wide mouth with drain tap, bung & air bubbler my mind turns to sharing space with this & the fermentation smells not always nice, & likely to make the wife "comment" that it is worse than our dogs backside.
Therefore is there a carbon filter version of a bubbler to reduce whiffs? (also helpful if it is by our front door)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Re: Question for the Brewers

Post by Joeboy »

I brewed all grain for years. Only ever seen varying sizes of air lock. :(
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Gus, could you attach a length of tube to the bung and place the air-lock outside - obviously you’d need a handy window and a means to keep the air lock upright.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks for the replies, as we live by a field there is a "home displacement" critters invasion as we live next to fields just harvested.
so holes need blocking, thus reluctance to do that, I will eventually put a mesh air feed in that room, but concerned for sound / privacy (wife on phone / zoom meetings discussing patients medical histories etc, you just don't want to chance it with an open window, thus the filter thoughts. I suppose a small container a few litres, hose, & a home made cut out carbon filter would suffice?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I guess it would do, but it is a fact that humidity saturates carbon filters and stops the odour absorbtion, hence the need for regular regeneration (baking) or replacement. So expect it to "fail" after a while.
I would guess that what comes through the airlocks is pretty humid, even if not boosted by evaporation from the lock itself.
A
p.s. one of my books said second-hand glass is OK as you can sterilise it, but avoid plastic as it is almost impossible to get back to sterile if it is contaminated. I ignored that and accepted a second-hand 5-gal fermenter from a colleague who had given up... and despite using Decon (a lab cleaner and steriliser) and boiling water I acquired a bacterial contamination which ruins every batch that goes through it. I used to use it on bulk surplus fruit at this time of year, but it is now retired as a water-butt down the garden!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I always use sodium metabisuphite for sterilising. It works. Nasty if you keep breathing it, mind.

If killing off unwanted yeast, I use the Potassium salt.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:11 am I guess it would do, but it is a fact that humidity saturates carbon filters and stops the odour absorbtion, hence the need for regular regeneration (baking) or replacement. So expect it to "fail" after a while.
I would guess that what comes through the airlocks is pretty humid, even if not boosted by evaporation from the lock itself.
A
p.s. one of my books said second-hand glass is OK as you can sterilise it, but avoid plastic as it is almost impossible to get back to sterile if it is contaminated. I ignored that and accepted a second-hand 5-gal fermenter from a colleague who had given up... and despite using Decon (a lab cleaner and steriliser) and boiling water I acquired a bacterial contamination which ruins every batch that goes through it. I used to use it on bulk surplus fruit at this time of year, but it is now retired as a water-butt down the garden!
It's a room that will have an ASHP connection so improved control on humidity potentially.
You were plumb unlucky, guess it was too scratched up, this is virgin apart from tap water prep for a very large aquarium (waiting for chlorine to dissipate) the guy selling it had no space (in his big house) & had bought it new from a local plastics company, so good for me, plastics are a staple of home brewing, but use is finite.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Got to get a few cleaners this week, bought too much white vinegar (grainfather & a secondary boiler cum fermenter)
Anyone rate "ritchies" brand? cleaner, I'm open to branded as well as buying a few singular chemicals.

We could do with an Avalon here for brewing & the likes.
On another note, its easier to get a small scale rectifiers license these days if you wished to produce gin, guess the revenue are comfortable with bio fuels & small scale distillation nowadays (still plenty of paperwork mind)

Another thought:

Has anyone made a cornelius keg cleaner? (pond pump, spray head, tubing connectors, bucket & some wood offcuts) the "official" ones are daft money
I have 4+ of those which I'd like to speed up the process, am hoping that type of kit will help cleaning & sanitising this barrel too, though get the feeling it will be a gorilla tub filled with san cleaner fed by a power washer.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I used thin bleach for years with no issues. Mix of plastic and s/s in the brewery. You want to avoid the thicker bleaches as they have additives which cause to stick and foam. Thin bleach kills everything and sluices straight off.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Any copper kit Joe?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS