Batch cooking!

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Stinsy

Batch cooking!

Post by Stinsy »

Given the below I'm planning to cook a big batch of Mexican chicken on Saturday for the freezer. Does anyone else plan their cooking around the weather? Or is it just me?

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bugtownboy

Re: Batch cooking!

Post by Bugtownboy »

If it’s not raining and anything above 140, we’re outside. Either on the grill or in or on the wood fired oven/cooker.

Paella this weekend.

Particularly like Porchetta cooked from the oven - wood definitely makes it taste nicer.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I batch cook chilli con, chicken curry and my tomato pasta sauce. I use mobile electric hobs which gives me 3 rings to cook on. I very much enjoy it! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stan

Post by Stan »

We’re not really into batch cooking here. However I do make sure that the washing machine works overtime when the sun is out rather than in. Also it’s my job to put the towels out to dry whether that be on the line or in the conservatory.
Wash the dogs or anything else on a sunny day for free warm water.
The slow cooker is a boon as it’s only 210W and so usually satisfied by PV on a dull day (and it really tenderises meat).
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SWMBO returned from the shop today with a load of discounted beef mince. I'll make a huge scotch bonnet chilli batch next week on a good solar day. The joy of a good freezer! :)

Same as you Stan, we run the washing machine ragged when opportunity presents. It used to feel odd working this way now it seems odd not to! On the best days we'll see 6.5kW coming in for hours. That takes care of everything and is a joy to be in amongst.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just been for 2nd jab, swmbo has started a double batch of chilli while I was out. I reckon this skillet could easily do a 16-20 person batch if used as a potup close to brim.

Swmbo spotted it tail end of last year for a tenner. This is its 1st outing. Self contained, non stick, 1.35 to 1.5kW, whats not to like? :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs