Mobile phone deals......

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
dan_b

Mobile phone deals......

Post by dan_b »

Help!

I have two teenage sons, and being a great dad, I pay for their mobile phones. Which they are glued to almost 24/7 of course...

Their current contracts with Vodafone expire next month and I would like to explore the dark arts of reducing the cost of their SIM deals. But crucially what ever new SIM-only deal I choose, I need to be able to port their numbers so they can keep the numbers they already have.

They're both currently on 50GB/month services (although I don't think they burn through all 50GB each month) and both have iPhones on Vodafone which together costs me £40/month.

I haven't done this for a long time and it seems rather difficult to find decent information. Any tips/advice/links to secretly good deals? Any providers to avoid, or recommend?

My domestic broadband is with Virgin Media and I believe they have a link to O2 where you can get a discount/enhanced package (Volt?) if you have an 02 Mobile and a Virgin Broadband connection. But it doesn't appear to allow 2 numbers?

Is it likely I can reduce this annoyingly expensive monthly outgoing?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Fintray

Re: Mobile phone deals......

Post by Fintray »

Dan, Smarty are doing a sim only deal on 60GB for only £10 month for up to 15 months and you can transfer the numbers. t
They also have Group deals that might suit your needs.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

+1 for smarty -great service.
Although I only use <4Gb / mth but heh its only £6. They also do deals for more than 1 sim ..........
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Just a thought- look at money saving expert.com ........
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

ecogeorge wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:18 pm Just a thought- look at money saving expert.com ........
Plus 1 for that and go for a rolling 1 month contract so if you find a better deal or they hike the prices too high you can get out faster and at no cost.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:02 pm Help!

I have two teenage sons, and being a great dad, I pay for their mobile phones. Which they are glued to almost 24/7 of course...

Their current contracts with Vodafone expire next month and I would like to explore the dark arts of reducing the cost of their SIM deals. But crucially what ever new SIM-only deal I choose, I need to be able to port their numbers so they can keep the numbers they already have.

They're both currently on 50GB/month services (although I don't think they burn through all 50GB each month) and both have iPhones on Vodafone which together costs me £40/month.

I haven't done this for a long time and it seems rather difficult to find decent information. Any tips/advice/links to secretly good deals? Any providers to avoid, or recommend?

My domestic broadband is with Virgin Media and I believe they have a link to O2 where you can get a discount/enhanced package (Volt?) if you have an 02 Mobile and a Virgin Broadband connection. But it doesn't appear to allow 2 numbers?

I’ve always bought the handset and tariff separately. We have 4x sim only tariffs on Vodafone. The trick is to wait for Black Friday or another time when they do silly deals. They did “10gigs extra free” a few years ago so my wife and I have 1gig plans that are really 11gigs and cost £12 a month (that is way more data than we actually need). The kids have unlimited data plans for £20 a month which is a spectacular Black Friday deal from a few years ago unlimited basically removes the need to have an argument about them having no data left.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 am

I’ve always bought the handset and tariff separately. We have 4x sim only tariffs on Vodafone. The trick is to wait for Black Friday or another time when they do silly deals. They did “10gigs extra free” a few years ago so my wife and I have 1gig plans that are really 11gigs and cost £12 a month (that is way more data than we actually need). The kids have unlimited data plans for £20 a month which is a spectacular Black Friday deal from a few years ago unlimited basically removes the need to have an argument about them having no data left.
My current plan is unlimited everything with a Samsung S23 for £23 a month, 2 year contract.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
richbee

Post by richbee »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 am
dan_b wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:02 pm Help!

I fairly recently upgraded/downgraded my Vodafone sim only deal from 100Gb for £20 down to 25Gb for £8!
I was very impressed and don't use anything like the total data amount.
Mobiles.co.uk give good offers to upgrade and keep your number if you stay with Vodafone.

Having said that, a couple of months after I started my new plan, I broke my current phone and had to buy a new one - if I'd synchronised I might have got a better phone+ sim deal, but not by much
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
robl

Post by robl »

I seem to have aquired family members on my phone bill - 4 of us now on a great value family O2 mobile tariff. 10GB/month each, unlimited minutes and calls, £20 in total for all 4. None of us comes close to using the data - it's only happened when abroad and wanted to watch netflix/similar. Generally good experience, though O2 do seem to keep wanting to phone me up, not that I take their calls.

Worst experience is when on a family interrailing holiday - free roaming everywhere ... except Switzerland. "Welcome.." the text said when we arrived, shortly followed up with "you have used your £5 cap and are being disconnected" - we were using googlemaps to find the air bnb !
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

That's a very good package.
I think Virgin Media have a cross-promotion with O2 as well, will check that out
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work