Emporia tablet

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Emporia tablet

Post by Joeboy »

My MIL is 87 and fit as a fiddle. Nonetheless SWMBO worries. I thought it would be a good idea to get her a simple tablet for video calls.

First of all, we found that not all (or indeed many) tablets have sim cards. We settled on this Empotia tablet for seniors and got a £8 2GB.per month 1 year contract with Tesco.

Means she can go out and about with it but more importantly since it will live on the Dock, she'll be fully charged and data rich if the power goes out.

It is pricey at £300 through Amazon but that's cheap to give SWMBO peace of mind. Thought I'd share for anyone with a similar situation.

We are going up to fit it today. She's all excited! :D

The video, Google & phone functions are absolutely excellent as is the UI. BIG graphics and fonts. I am very impressed.

Refurb units available at £250 through Ebay.
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Re: Emporia tablet

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:34 am My MIL is 87 and fit as a fiddle. Nonetheless SWMBO worries. I thought it would be a good idea to get her a simple tablet for video calls.

First of all, we found that not all (or indeed many) tablets have sim cards. We settled on this Empotia tablet for seniors and got a £8 2GB.per month 1 year contract with Tesco.

Means she can go out and about with it but more importantly since it will live on the Dock, she'll be fully charged and data rich if the power goes out.
and even more importantly, when the power goes it will still work - unlike our now-digital land-line, which depends on the router being powered up.
Next phase of solar will include a UPS or similar, which for some reason Octopus didn't want to have anything to do with.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!