Out of the blue, almost!

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
spread-tee

Out of the blue, almost!

Post by spread-tee »

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the need for a reappraisal of our lives in the Solis alarm thread, and I thank you for your suggestions, I will try to follow them up. The need for the life change comes about because I have been diagnosed with Prostate cancer with some indications it is in my bones and maybe skin. I am still undergoing tests to find out what is really going on, but I am clued up enough to know this is not ideal.

The reason I say out of the blue is that the only symptoms I noticed are a slight increased frequency of peeing and a small sore patch on my right foot which as far as I know is a recurrence of a thing I had a few years ago, which healed completely after a few weeks. The peeing was noticed about a year ago for a few weeks and then it seemed to return to almost normal for a geezer my age 66. Then about 3 months ago I noticed a marked increase in peeing and one night despite the need it was a struggle to start.

That prompted me to call my doc who ordered a blood test to assure me all was well, after explaining that most old duffers my age have trouble in the sprinkler department, the very next day he called me to say that my PSA was very high 195 as opposed to a normal level of 5 and I was being put on “the two week rule” to get rapid diagnoses, three weeks later here I am already started on Hormone therapy with a whole shed load of stuff to come! Despite all its issues the NHS has be bloody magnificent.

Sorry for the ramble but I guess all I would say, as I am sure you know, any doubts get it checked out, even if like me you feel fine, four weeks ago I was digging out by hand a full foundation with no clue this shit was about to hit.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mart

Re: Out of the blue, almost!

Post by Mart »

You take care mate, and thanks for sharing. :praise:
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

health is the most important thing!
I realized this when my dad was sick last year, and recently I have been under a lot of pressure in both my life and work. I also need to find a suitable way to relieve my stress. I hope everything will be better.
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
nowty

Post by nowty »

Sorry to here the news.

I had a scare a few years back, after finding blood in a certain body fluid. :?

The GP did a PSA test which was OK but also sent me to the hospital for a digital prostate check and its got nothing to do with a computerised device. :shock:
Everything was fine, but it made me more aware, second most common cancer, roughly 1 in 7 men get it and the NHS don't do routine screening.

I have been getting my PSA checked by a PSA charity every year who visit the area. I know having a PSA test is not the most absolute indicator but its better if you have regular ones from the age of 50 so you know your baseline number and how it changes year on year.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health ... ading-Zero

16.9kW PV > 108MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 24MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Sorry to hear the news Desp, you have done the right thing and went and got checked and are now getting treatment to help you recover.
I too have nothing but praise for the NHS after the fantastic service I received from them last year.

Stay positive. :xl:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AGT

Post by AGT »

Take care Desp
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Sorry to hear your news Desp, stay positive and take care, the NHS will sort you out, they’re all brilliant professionals so you’re in good hands. :xl:

Moxi
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Sorry to hear your news, and fingers crossed for you.

I am shocked to know prostate screening is not a routine thing for you guys though.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just read this, sorry to hear it desp. Stay strong, a glass of Red maybe?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Desp, sorry to hear.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago - I’m now the same age as you.

Treatment and management is now so much better than a few decades ago.

Unfortunately, current screening strategy is not adequate - the most important is probably awareness, family history and ethnicity.

Things will improve with improved Blood/Urine testing and then MRI as a first line diagnostic rather than invasive (and uncomfortable) tests.

There is a Prostate Cancer Risk tool (https://prostatecanceruk.org/risk-checker) , so it’s probably worth any of the male members :shock: having a look.

Desp, if you want to PM me, feel free. I can offer aspects of my experience, but, as everyone is different, may be different to your situation.