Driving test application.

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mr Gus

Driving test application.

Post by Mr Gus »

I'm confused, hoping for some verification

What is the "instructor reference number" that the DVLA test booking system is asking for? (presumably it is his professional number of accreditation & set up to avoid an instructor double booking as well as keeping them going continuously compared to joe public)

Does it make any difference as to the speed of accessing a bloody hard to come by test slot right now?

Daughter has been told to try booking now as places are scant (I can confirm that) she was after Feb, March, but all dates "gone" up to may/ june of 2022.

Looking for some insight.

Additional: Daughter asked him for it after she saw the dvla request.. his reply was that he'd never been asked for it before & therefore didn't know what it was either.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
John_S

Re: Driving test application.

Post by John_S »

The DVSA (driving and vehicle standards agency) issue numbers to all approved driving instructors. You daughter’s instructor should have an ADI badge. It is illegal to charge for driving lessons without qualification.

I think that the DVLA cross check to see if the instructor has timetabled his/her availability.

As far as I know, you don’t have to have an instructor accompany you to the test, but if you are using their car they need to be there as you will not be insured to drive the car after the test.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks John.

It is a husband & wife team (both instructors) however its an industry whereby contact is vague (unanswered phones, no websites etc, all farcebook only FFS when looking for an independent, ..made harder to get lessons initially by fact that she's learning automatic mode)

Heads up to all members here with kids / grand-kids, nieces & nephews learning / about to.
The system is clogged worse than petrol stations, there is a maximum amount of times per hour you can check for the non existent dates.. so get in early & work towards it as a goal, she has been told 8 hours in book now & this is where we have come unstuck.

Like many uncertain things in "blighty" its a scramble into an abyss right now.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
John_S

Post by John_S »

I wish you daughter well.

Similar happened with mu son-in-law. Due to take his theory test in March 2020 but cancelled the day before due to COVID, even before lockdown started.

Now is taking practical test in December in Chester where his parents live. Trying to look for an instructor for some refresher lessons but not much luck. My daughter will have to take the day off work to ‘assist’ if he has to do the test in her car.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wow John, that really puts it into context.

Daughter subsequently realises how lucky she has been "winging it" since we applied for her provisional when she was still 16 just before the crisis hit in 2020, there are a heck of a lot of complaints doing the rounds with some over a year to issue (covid folks)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS