Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Moxi

Re: Small things matter

Post by Moxi »

Oh lol my apologies lol :lol: thats the sort of meal we have as a Saturday treat breakfast with sausages, tomatoes etc

We are supposed to have clearer weather later now so that will be welcome.

The infra red results were purely done on back of the hand temperature comparison as we don't have any temperature measurement system that will work like some of you have (we have in ear measurement for the kids but thats all).

But based on that alone and the fact the lamp is only 100W I can say it worked - a little bit of heat of the lamp body was all that was effectively warming the air and then the room by convection (not noticeable) the wall area covered by the lamp was noticeably warmer than the surrounding area in the evening which gives me hope that doing this regularly will not make the room over hot in the day but will charge the wall to help with temperature maintenance in the evening.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 am Oh lol my apologies lol :lol: thats the sort of meal we have as a Saturday treat breakfast with sausages, tomatoes etc

We are supposed to have clearer weather later now so that will be welcome.

The infra red results were purely done on back of the hand temperature comparison as we don't have any temperature measurement system that will work like some of you have (we have in ear measurement for the kids but thats all).

But based on that alone and the fact the lamp is only 100W I can say it worked - a little bit of heat of the lamp body was all that was effectively warming the air and then the room by convection (not noticeable) the wall area covered by the lamp was noticeably warmer than the surrounding area in the evening which gives me hope that doing this regularly will not make the room over hot in the day but will charge the wall to help with temperature maintenance in the evening.

Moxi
Nice, excess solar charging a passive battery for night release. Doesn't get much better than that.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

No it’s certainly one trick for the consumable power tool box - I need to figure out how to put the free direct HWT in to service it’s only a tiny 90 litre tank but the cottage really isn’t set up with space to best incorporate it.

My current thought is to house it out side and bucket hot water to where I want it - not optimum but it’s better than using gas, and just maybe once I show it works well to the boss she would consider something less manual and be willing to look at internal installation or outside installation plumbed in - three ft thick walls solid slate and some blue stone which is like hitting iron! So not an easy task.

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 am we don't have any temperature measurement system that will work like some of you have (we have in ear measurement for the kids but thats all).

This sort of thing offers great VFM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Therm ... B071NBJJ2Q

I think I bought the one I use from Aldi 10 years ago.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Cheers Stinsey,

I may well go for something like that - good price too, I had been holding out to try and get something like JB's FLIR but not seen anything close to the right sort of price - other option would be for my business to buy a FLIR as I could use it on mechanical assessment surveys.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:28 pm Cheers Stinsey,

I may well go for something like that - good price too, I had been holding out to try and get something like JB's FLIR but not seen anything close to the right sort of price - other option would be for my business to buy a FLIR as I could use it on mechanical assessment surveys.

Moxi
I use the cheaper spot temp gun more often than not
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I might ask the finance director if i can buy the spot thermometer in that case :)

The weather has been so calm today and happily the overcast sky gave way to very hazy sunshine about half three so we have been steadily putting 2.2kWh in to the house and grid since then :) My battery shed arrives tomorrow so a bit closer to being able to soak up the extra electrons to use later after the sun goes down.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:42 pm My battery shed arrives tomorrow so a bit closer to being able to soak up the extra electrons to use later after the sun goes down.

Moxi
Remember the pictures of the build, installation of the batteries etc. :)
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:42 pm I might ask the finance director if i can buy the spot thermometer in that case :)

The weather has been so calm today and happily the overcast sky gave way to very hazy sunshine about half three so we have been steadily putting 2.2kWh in to the house and grid since then :) My battery shed arrives tomorrow so a bit closer to being able to soak up the extra electrons to use later after the sun goes down.

Moxi
I prefer it tbh, glad you are making fwd progress.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yeah JB, progress feels slow of late but I am hopeful for some progress soon and if the worst comes to it I can always wire up the batteries and the inverter and feed some essential loads from the inverter AC out till the sparky gets here.

In the mean time i am chasing quotes on the parents annex roof you would not believe the number of companies that simply never reply ??

Then i have my pet projects - getting the HWT into use as a back up energy "sink",

and i want a set of easily deployed solar panels quite small wattage so they are easy to dot around in small sunny patches as and when i am around - more aligned to the winter months than summer, 18V camper van panels of around the 100W range seem to suit this in terms of size and ability to sit in between shade zones and easily tidied away after i have finished playing as the boss would say :? -the question being do I invert at the panels or do i arrange cabling outside to allow me to feed in DC to the hybrid inverter. Cable runs would be circa 10 to 14 meters max - need to recheck inverter DC voltage range - I would think an extra 400 watts of mobile PV would be rather helpful at parts of the year and being around 100mm by 600mm thay are easy to move around and store away

Moxi