Rationing of vegetable oils?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
AE-NMidlands

Rationing of vegetable oils?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61193141 *Supermarkets set limits on sale of cooking oil"
Some supermarkets are limiting how much cooking oil customers are able to buy as supplies are hit by war in Ukraine.

Tesco is allowing three items per customer. Waitrose and Morrisons have limited shoppers to two items each.
The majority of the UK's sunflower oil comes from Ukraine and disruption to exports has led to some shortages and an increased demand for alternatives.
The British Retail Consortium says the restrictions are a temporary measure "to ensure availability for everyone."
Olive, rapeseed and sunflower oils are included in the limits being put in place by some supermarkets, both in-store and online.
If it's not for Mayonnaise, just use lard (or beef dripping!) Chips are far better made with it, and animal fats are much more thermally stable, so don't generate or accumulate PAHs like vegetable oils do (other than olive oil, which has more saturated fat!)
SWMBO says in the 1970s she used to start making bread by rubbing lard into the flour (as you do with fat into pastry.) Nowadays we just use oil in the mix, but why? Saves a job, I suppose...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Re: Rationing of vegetable oils?

Post by Stinsy »

We could easily have seen this coming! Wheat too won’t be far behind. I guess it has been deliberately under-reported to avoid panic buying making things worse.

Seed oils are horrible for your health. Butter/lard is much better. I know this goes against multi-decade advertising campaigns funded by billion-dollar food conglomerates but the information is there should you choose to look. I don’t remember seeing many obese people back when chip shops used lard or beef dripping!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I can recommend air fryers to anyone who doesn’t already have them. We do a pan fully of chips, enough for four people using only 8ml of oil or lard. Throw two sausages in with them and you can forget the oil or lard 😊

We cook all sorts in our air fryer and find it better than using the oven in most cases as foods less fatty, less energy to heat the smaller compartment and delicious food

Moxi
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

more like people were putting it in they're cars
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:03 pm more like people were putting it in they're cars
Really ??? who would do that? :o :D :D
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:03 pm more like people were putting it in they're cars
Ha Ha. Only works on the old diesels with mechanical fuel injection and low-pressure fuel systems.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
billi

Post by billi »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:11 am
Ha Ha. Only works on the old diesels with mechanical fuel injection and low-pressure fuel systems.
Well , my conversion kit , delivered to Ireland about 15-20 years back , for a Pick-up Work-Truck , costed me 290 Euro and for sure some hours to install for me

At the time i was under the impression its the right thing to do , as well the whole neighborhood and chip shops , that knew me , asked me if i can use their waste vegetable oil , and i said "SURE ,I CAN ! "

In retrospective , i would never do that again (only if waste ore used oil/lard/other fats are used)
As one can produce about 10 times per ha more energy from a PV than fuel for vehicles ,

But was not a money saving idea at the time

that i have to pay 4 Euro for a litre of sunnflower oil now, instead of 75 cent at the time in Ireland , shows a lot to me today , that i have to think off (again) as much as one wishes to be independent , as much it it complicated too to do so !

But those are Luxury Problems those empty shelf's of veggie oil and toilet paper , compared what others have to go through right now
Phoooby

Post by Phoooby »

I remember the days of veg oil being a thing to save money. I even looked into it and discovered the "newest" car I could use Veg oil in was 5-6 years old at the time; a VW "pre common rail" type. I also looked at bio diesel but it all seemed very complicated. I visited a site where someone in the US was an advocate for blending which was basically using mis fuel (someone filled their car with the wrong fuel) with whatever oil use could get hold of. There was a table and calculations for determining the % of petrol to diesel in the mis fuel so you could work out how much to add. The chap in question seemed to blend with any oil he could get, chip oil, lubricant oil from garages etc. He swore by blending and filtering but was running it in a 30 year old GM (6.2lt) van.

Thinking back, this must have been about 2012-2013 so EV's were just hitting the market. I remember looking at the price of veg oil in Tesco and thinking it was not much cheaper and there was a risk of ruining your engine. I never got into the veg/bio/blending but went straight to EV in 2015 but I do remember watching someone with a trolley full of veg oil pouring it straight onto their Rover 45 in the car park of a local Morisons. Sad though it may seem, but my initial thought was "you don't end up with a trolley full of empty plastic bottles when you go to the local BP".

Bit of a thread swerve but it would now seem that Ukraine does provide lots of cooking oil so were are potentially screwed on that front as crops have not been planted etc. I amsure we will survive and less fried food will probably do everyone some good in the long term.
billi

Post by billi »

Thinking back, this must have been about 2012-2013 so EV's were just hitting the market. I remember looking at the price of veg oil in Tesco and thinking it was not much cheaper and there was a risk of ruining your engine. I never got into the veg/bio/blending but went straight to EV in 2015 but I do remember watching someone with a trolley full of veg oil pouring it straight onto their Rover 45 in the car park of a local Morisons. Sad though it may seem, but my initial thought was "you don't end up with a trolley full of empty plastic bottles when you go to the local BP".
Well , not all want to buy a new car or are proud of the need of a car at all . Nor is or was a market for "work vans/trucks "

A decade ago , just out of interest i did a calculation about the "green" benefitt s of an electric car and came to the result that , if one buys a new petrol /diesel version of an model plus an Photovoltaic install for the same cost as the similar version of that car as an EV , than, one drives much more Greener ( depending on the co2 content of the charging source)

Still today, that Model , the VW UP is about 12000 Euro cheaper than the electric version , or in other words same price for the Gas version and a 10 kW PV included

to move / power that economic vehicle even a lightweight, i need about 16 times more energy , than my electric bike for 60 miles (100 km)
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

Phoooby wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:59 am Bit of a thread swerve but it would now seem that Ukraine does provide lots of cooking oil so were are potentially screwed on that front as crops have not been planted etc. I amsure we will survive and less fried food will probably do everyone some good in the long term.
I'm sure we, in the rich world, will survive a shortage of veg oil (which will probably just result in price increases) but it won't be limited to one product in one place. Obviously wheat is a big export from Ukraine that will also be affected but we seem to forget that we are trying to completely shutdown Russia's economy and Russia is the world's biggest exporter of wheat and, crucially, fertiliser.
With world fertiliser prices having gone up 400% in the last year many farmers will not be able to afford it leading to drops in yields of everything. For us this means price rises, for some in poor countries this means starvation.

Wonder why countries like India are not joining sanctions against Russia? It's, partly, because the primary job of their government is to ensure that the people can eat.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV