Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

WS2 will be on a stone based base. It's already rigged for rear entry. My goal is to bring it in relatively safely for under £200. Will be 5" Viterous pipe all the way but shielded and isolated to the best I can for a scrapyard challenge. :twisted:

The online reviews for the Clarke Buckingham stove are pretty bad. That's ok though as I am not looking for much, just the glow, bit of heat and a place to cook. Bring it in for a couple of hundred, that'll do! One more place in the home that is non grid reliant and we can happily live/be in.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Well, so far on this journey I have spent £78 towards the sub £200 goal to install WBS2 in the cabin. Picked up a 90 deg access bend in Tadcaster on the run South, bought a stabilising stand off bracket for a fiver and just now bid and won on a couple of 1mtr 5" pipe sections.

Need to find a few slabs and a washing machine and I'll be within hailing distance of success. So far, everything is repurposed.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This is going well
WS free
5" vitreous 90 deg access bend £30
5" vitreous 1mtr pipe section x 2 & 1 500mm pipe sec £43
5" clamp stand off £5
3 aeresol of matt black high temp tape free
Black fire cement & 2 rolls high temp fibreglass tape £11
Total to date £89

SWMBO is trying to track down a marble hearth which I will cut to size. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joe, if DW has no luck with the marble, you could always try a local stone worktop supplier. They may have a piece cut out of a worktop for a hob or sink you could blag.

Also, if you pass a Monsieur Bricolage (one just off the A20 outside Limoges), pop in. They have a wondrous supply of things, including WS related stuff.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they had stone hearths.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:40 am Joe, if DW has no luck with the marble, you could always try a local stone worktop supplier. They may have a piece cut out of a worktop for a hob or sink you could blag.

Also, if you pass a Monsieur Bricolage (one just off the A20 outside Limoges), pop in. They have a wondrous supply of things, including WS related stuff.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they had stone hearths.
Cheers BTB, have seen a few of those Bricolage stores. She has landed the marble hearth, will collect on return to Scotland.
Been looking at chimney cowls online. I reckon I can do better with my angle grinder (solar powered), tin snips and pop rivet gun along with the remaining panels in the washing machine heat shield donor. Might bring this job in at under £100...all in. :lol: 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Kind of caught on the horns here, could source a couple of foc used stainless splashbacks for a sleek look heat deflector or could go for a Frankenstein pop riveted approach on multiple mediums.... I've got the art skills and metalworking to a level thats no too bad, hmmmnn. :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Bear in mind the expansion coefficients of different thicknesses and materials for the Frankenstein option - although that is also my personal preference as I like the steampunk style :)

Just wouldn't want the extra work to be undone by buckling and the gentle but oft annoying click ping and clank of expanding and contracting materials.

With that in mind and considering your recent work in the conservatory with the WBS and thermal mass would you not be better using concrete paving stones on edge behind and to the side of the WBS? If you want to exercise your inner artist you could face the slabs with ceramic tiles in a Victorian style.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Cheers Moxi, good thoughts there on the creaking!

I will likely go for boring s/s splashbacks repurposed or cut up a washing machine casing. Won't be needing thermal mass on this one as the room is 4x4(mtrs) only so it will be more a nice thing in the corner that will be run very gently on a kindling bed and single VERY dry logs.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

What an insane rainfall we just had. :o Literally tropical monsoon for 15 minutes. Had to set up the WS tumble dryer to finish off the gear from French France laundry. Also descaling the 9 Euro Brocante bought kettle for WS2. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:41 pm What an insane rainfall we just had. :o Literally tropical monsoon for 15 minutes. Had to set up the WS tumble dryer to finish off the gear from French France laundry. Also descaling the 9 Euro Brocante bought kettle for WS2. :D
I was outside and looking towards Inverurie and it did look like it was chucking it down, look on the bright side the plants won't need a water. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf