Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
John_S

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by John_S »

nowty wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 pm Found this publication, a bit old from 2005 but has some interesting tables about UK wind resource capacity factors.
https://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/d ... source.pdf

One of the tables from that publication.

The original forecast for WT1 P75 was based on an average capacity factor of 30.5%, so should be similar to the above graph. Most years vary + / - 10% but last year (2021) the onshore UK wind resource has been deemed by UK Greencoat Wind as down 20% on baseline, worse year since 2010. Don't know how this years is performing yet in terms of available wind resource.

I have just worked out the capacity factors (CF) for WT1 since the start as now the June figures are in,

March 36.7% (based on 16 days pro rata)
April 25.8%
May 22.4%
June 15.0 %

Therefore the average CF for WT1 for the 4 months is about 25% which compares with circa 28% on that graph above so we are not far off 10% of the target figure so far, so all looks good, especially with the initial teething problems and the first service. :mrgreen:

EDIT - June CF is actually 23.3% as Ripple have initially released incorrect data so average overall is now 27%.
I recall that the paid for generation in March and was more than the sum of the published post official opening generation. I had thought that the difference was due to pre official opening generation being added and paid to the us.
3 months in, my wish is that the dashboard contained a month to date kWh total that equalled the sum of the relevant daily totals and that both figures included adjustments to daily figures when relevant.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

John_S wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 pm
nowty wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 pm Found this publication, a bit old from 2005 but has some interesting tables about UK wind resource capacity factors.
https://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/d ... source.pdf

One of the tables from that publication.

The original forecast for WT1 P75 was based on an average capacity factor of 30.5%, so should be similar to the above graph. Most years vary + / - 10% but last year (2021) the onshore UK wind resource has been deemed by UK Greencoat Wind as down 20% on baseline, worse year since 2010. Don't know how this years is performing yet in terms of available wind resource.

I have just worked out the capacity factors (CF) for WT1 since the start as now the June figures are in,

March 36.7% (based on 16 days pro rata)
April 25.8%
May 22.4%
June 15.0 %

Therefore the average CF for WT1 for the 4 months is about 25% which compares with circa 28% on that graph above so we are not far off 10% of the target figure so far, so all looks good, especially with the initial teething problems and the first service. :mrgreen:

EDIT - June CF is actually 23.3% as Ripple have initially released incorrect data so average overall is now 27%.
I recall that the paid for generation in March and was more than the sum of the published post official opening generation. I had thought that the difference was due to pre official opening generation being added and paid to the us.
3 months in, my wish is that the dashboard contained a month to date kWh total that equalled the sum of the relevant daily totals and that both figures included adjustments to daily figures when relevant.
I asked them about that very wish a couple of months back John and they said they were working on it. Cumulative totals on varying timelines would be great to have as well as the graphs showing individual days.

As AE has shown in his last couple of updates Ripple have been communicating well and are actively hunting down faults/improvements swiftly. The fact that we are only 3.5 months live and a few small teething problems is I think exemplary. More data will be great when they can deploy it. Saves the daily xl sheet update!
Great to think that this learning curve can be deployed by Ripple on the 8 WT field at Kirkhill with its added complexity. I checked and wind speeds at Turnberry are running 2.5mph faster that GFWT1 for midday today. :twisted:

I might head down in Bongo Sept to Kirkhill site for a nosy and ice cream at Nardini's in Largs. Anyone have the GPS co-ordinates of the wind farm site?

Great to see WT1 taking care of my daily standing charges, minute Summer power purchase for EV and a little left over to begin topping up the personal Winter VB to maybe 1.5%. I'm not sure what to call this state of affairs. 'On grid with Off grid benefits' maybe?

It's a very surreal state off affairs to be living in and has a near future sci-fi feel to it. I'm sure Asimov would be smiling. I didn't really expect to be seeing over 400KWh from the WT in Summer months yet here we are. If its doing this now, Winter will be spectacular👌.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

This should get you to the Kirk Hill site Joe. 55°18'43"N 4°44'19W

It's an extremely narrow lane, when I visited last April I only saw one other vehicle and that was a farmer in a Land Rover.

I think the shape of the trees tell the story.

20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mojomal wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:03 am This should get you to the Kirk Hill site Joe. 55°18'43"N 4°44'19W

It's an extremely narrow lane, when I visited last April I only saw one other vehicle and that was a farmer in a Land Rover.

:) Cheers! Outstanding treeage! Reminds me of all holidays on the Ayrshire coast.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:10 am
Mojomal wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:03 am

:) Cheers! Outstanding treeage! Reminds me of all holidays on the Ayrshire coast.
I went on a holiday to Ayr for a week when I was 3 years old. I don't remember it, but apparently it peed down every day and my mother vowed never to go back there again.

I also did some work at Prestwick nearby many years ago and stayed in a hotel in Troon by a golf course. The only thing I remember about it was the wind, had trouble getting to my car. :lol:

Sounds a great location. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:12 pm

I went on a holiday to Ayr for a week when I was 3 years old. I don't remember it, but apparently it peed down every day and my mother vowed never to go back there again.

I also did some work at Prestwick nearby many years ago and stayed in a hotel in Troon by a golf course. The only thing I remember about it was the wind, had trouble getting to my car. :lol:

:D I think Kirkhill is going to be momentous.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:12 pm

Yes indeed. Ideal for a wind farm. Reminds me of a Billy Connelly tale about visiting the Orkneys and how the wind blew so hard you could lay into at a 45 degree angle and still not fall over!

In any case, I'm not sure it would be my first choice for a game of golf!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Anyone else get 'the offer' today?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:23 pm Anyone else get 'the offer' today?
Yes, but I’m already at 120%. :evil:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:23 pm Anyone else get 'the offer' today?
Yes, but I’m already at 120%. :evil:
Lie accordingly. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs