More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by Stinsy »

How did you find bending the copper refrigerant pipes @Nowty?

I've heard that it is easy to crush them if you're not exceptionally careful...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

small hand bender or a spring
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

MoSTiE wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:00 pm small hand bender or a spring
I've been told that a metric hand bender designed for 8mm or 10mm water pipe will tear open the imperial-sized ultra-thin refrigerant pipes. There is apparently a knack based around making lots of teeny bends with your fingers...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm
MoSTiE wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:00 pm small hand bender or a spring
I've been told that a metric hand bender designed for 8mm or 10mm water pipe will tear open the imperial-sized ultra-thin refrigerant pipes. There is apparently a knack based around making lots of teeny bends with your fingers...
The installation manual specifically tells you NOT to use metric benders or internal springs.

The pipes are soft annealed, so are very easy to bend by hand. But as they were already wrapped in insulation, that helps to avoid any aggressive bending. They come coiled up so you carefully unroll and get them as straight as possible. Like Stinsy says, making lots of teeny bends with your fingers.

Then once you wrap them with the PVC tape and then again with duct tape over the top, it becomes quite a large stiff pipe which helps even more to prevent any extreme bends. I marked where the connections to the indoor unit where so I did not bend the pipe on the outside of the wall too close to them.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

I have finalised the electrical connection to the Aircon unit.

I was quite lucky in that I had an old redundant 4mm spur ending in a junction box under for lounge floor, only about 2 metres from my old chimney cavity where the power cord from the indoor unit drops down. So just added a single socket on the end of a short cable so the indoor unit can plug into it. :D

In hindsight, I should have made it a double socket so I can also plug the heat recovery unit into it, but that's easily rectified. :oops:

There is a power and comms cable packaged within the pipe bundle which transfers power through the wall to the outdoor unit.

Excellent as I was not looking forward to running another cable to the consumer unit. 8-)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Have not had the chance to use the new aircon unit in anger as temps have been too pleasant since Installed it but this evening with a cool wind it was not really necessary, certainly no GSHP on the heating. But I thought the lounge could do with 1 or 2 degrees of improvement in the local area in front of the TV.

Switched it on heating a degree or two above ambient and, Ooooh baby, a very gentle inaudible warm breeze with only about 500w being consumed. And after a short time it went into standby as local temp was just right. I would not be surprised if this unit is going to reduce my overall import from not needing the storage heaters as early or as late in the heating season. :mrgreen:

In a few days its going to be much hotter so the cooling aspect of it will almost certainly be tested. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm Have not had the chance to use the new aircon unit in anger as temps have been too pleasant since Installed it but this evening with a cool wind it was not really necessary, certainly no GSHP on the heating. But I thought the lounge could do with 1 or 2 degrees of improvement in the local area in front of the TV.

Switched it on heating a degree or two above ambient and, Ooooh baby, a very gentle inaudible warm breeze with only about 500w being consumed. And after a short time it went into standby as local temp was just right. I would not be surprised if this unit is going to reduce my overall import from not needing the storage heaters as early or as late in the heating season. :mrgreen:

In a few days its going to be much hotter so the cooling aspect of it will almost certainly be tested. :twisted:
Such a tart, I am literally pmsl at this A/C.appreciation! I like the 500W thing, so it's pulling that to run the exchanger yet pulling the heat from air?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:04 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm Have not had the chance to use the new aircon unit in anger as temps have been too pleasant since Installed it but this evening with a cool wind it was not really necessary, certainly no GSHP on the heating. But I thought the lounge could do with 1 or 2 degrees of improvement in the local area in front of the TV.

Such a tart, I am literally pmsl at this A/C.appreciation! I like the 500W thing, so it's pulling that to run the exchanger yet pulling the heat from air?
Yeah, it feels like putting you hand in front of a 3kW fan heater, less heat but a lot more volume so I recon its still circa 2kW of heat so around a COP of 4'ish.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:57 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:04 pm

Yeah, it feels like putting you hand in front of a 3kW fan heater, less heat but a lot more volume so I recon its still circa 2kW of heat so around a COP of 4'ish.
That's a very satisfying thought. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Wall to wall sunshine today, everything is full and on the export limiter.

Been a bit busy last few days as helping daughter and SIL to move into their flat in Paddington, which started a conversation where they questioned whether the station was named after a bear. :lol:

So had to educate them by forcing them to watch the very first episode from 1976. I had only seen it once and I was shocked to actually remember the taxi driver turning red faced, or maybe it was a darker shade of grey on the B&W in them days. :lol:

Back to work on the heat recovery room ventilator, cut a 110mm drainpipe which will be the wall sleeve.

Inside

Outside
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3