Outside cabinet for battery and hybrid inverter

openspaceman

Outside cabinet for battery and hybrid inverter

Post by openspaceman »

Firming up the quotes on my daughter's installation I wanted an external installation on the wall that the consumer unit is mounted on internally. The installer thinks this is unusual but I am concerned about access in the event of a fire of the pylontech battery with a loft mounting.

I think dropping external SWA cables on the external wall from the two strings to a hybrid inverter and battery should make for an easier install but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Also recommendation for a weather proof external cabinet would be helpful, if we do go my route. It will have to accommodate the inverter and 3 pylon 3.5 battery packs.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
AE-NMidlands

Re: Outside cabinet for battery and hybrid inverter

Post by AE-NMidlands »

£10k worth of stuff... I would think it needs to be weatherproof and secure!
A friend suggested to me that extenal wires were the norm. I hade been fretting about runing a new channel down the wall of a bedroom which didn't otherwise need to be disturbed into the porch underneath: he said "Straight down the outside wall!"
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

I went down the Fire risk / not wanting batteries in the house.
First option was a Metal ? Shed. ( Do not buy one. Complete Usless Design ???? )
Rain / water came in various places.
Windy day. It bent / smashed to bits. :lol:

Got two plastic ones. Well impressed. No leaks / No problems.

nowty

Post by nowty »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:48 pm I went down the Fire risk / not wanting batteries in the house.
First option was a Metal ? Shed. ( Do not buy one. Complete Usless Design ???? )
Rain / water came in various places.
Windy day. It bent / smashed to bits. :lol:

Reminds me of watching someone livestreaming the slow destruction of an outhouse in a hurricane about 10 years back. :lol:

ALAN/ALAN D, just noticed, you seem to have some wind and PV, why not join the Camelot Members Annual Green Electric Generation, we are at over 1/3 of a GWh with 57 members. Just let us know your average annual generation from PV and wind. PM me if you like.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=13&t=922
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I installed the battery inverter and rack of batteries in a timber shed that was made locally and intended to be a log store. The company (Dorset Log Stores) modified it for me by adding doors on the front and it's just about ideal, as it had to fit into a narrow space alongside a path, so the ~2ft 6in depth both fitted the space and has enough room for the rack of batteries and the inverter.

Only thing I had to modify was to add some ventilation to keep the inverter temperature down. It used to get up to around 65°C when charging flat out but with the ventilation it rarely gets to 50°C. I have noticed that the inverter gets a lot warmer when charging than when discharging for some reason, perhaps it's not as efficient in charging mode.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter