Solis RAI-3K 5G

Umski

Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Umski »

Hello folks,

First 'real' post so take it easy on me ;) Background - I have 4kWp of PV on the FiT - I've been toying with battery storage with some leisure batteries I happen to have (4x12V@65Ah giving me a usable 30ish Ah and thus 1.5kWh) - if this works well then I would upgrade to Pylons - to enable this I was looking into a hybrid inverter/charger but instead happened upon the Solis AC coupled RAI 3kW unit at a very good price - originally I was looking at the Sofar ME3000SP but then had thought that 'future-proofing' for additional PV might be an idea. Anyway that's parked for now as hybrids are £££ more.

Looking at the manual, most of it make sense apart from one bit (though annoyingly the pdf is read only :roll: ) It refers to a logic interface (DRM) communication cable for UK only which is essentially a logic on/off trigger for the inverter to power off - it then goes on to say 'to use this function, contact the manufacturer' - helpful! What I don't get is where that comms port get its trigger from - one would have thought that it would know when the grid was down. Reading around the external DRM boxes for older Solis models, this model has the DRM integrated, but again where does the external trigger come from?! Anyone have any experience with the Solis models? I know a few have been discussing them in other threads..

Thanks!
Moxi

Re: Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Moxi »

Hello Umski,

The DRM is integral and gets its signal from the supplied smart meter which in turn takes its signal via a CT clamp. When I bought my kit the smart meter was part of the package.

Moxi
Umski

Post by Umski »

Thanks Moxi - that makes sense - so yes the kit comes with the Accrel meter and is connected to the 'meter' port on the inverter via RJ45 - is the DRM carried over the same connection? Or does the DRM port on the inverter need a separate connection to the meter via it's own RJ45 link? If so there doens't seem to be any indication in the schematics as to which pins on the Accrel do this :?
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The meter isn't exactly smart, I'm pretty sure it's just connected via a RS485 CANBUS/MODBUS connection to the inverter and sends import/export data via that cable. Other inverters have the meter internally and just run a cable to a CT clipped to the incoming supply tail. I'm pretty sure there are ways to access the data directly on the Solis inverters, as there are integrations available for Home Assistant.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ahh sorry Umski,

I'm trying to copy paste the section from the manual but not getting anywhere.

Section 4 located at Page 15 (top) indicates the Demand Response Monitor is made up from an RJ45 utilising pins 5 and 6, a length of coms cable and a switch.

With the switch open circuit the Inverter operates normally, switch closed, the inverter shuts down within 5 seconds.

No idea why the cable and switch isn't included in the box for the UK market but is a quick and easy build.

Moxi
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umski

Post by Umski »

Moxi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:36 am Ahh sorry Umski,

I'm trying to copy paste the section from the manual but not getting anywhere.

Section 4 located at Page 15 (top) indicates the Demand Response Monitor is made up from an RJ45 utilising pins 5 and 6, a length of coms cable and a switch.

With the switch open circuit the Inverter operates normally, switch closed, the inverter shuts down within 5 seconds.

No idea why the cable and switch isn't included in the box for the UK market but is a quick and easy build.

Moxi
Thanks, yes that was the section that I was referring to that then just abruptly ends - question was where the other two ends go for the logic trigger switch?
Umski

Post by Umski »

marshman wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:36 am On my Solis Hybrid inverter the Acrel meter plugs into its own RS485 connector on the inverter. The DRM (Demand Response Management) is a separate and unused connector - well I'm not using it! As far as I can tell it is so the inverter can be remotely shut down or started up for some reason other than grid controlled parameters.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking too - it's just the manual kind of implies that somehow the DRM control is needed for the UK - it seems kind of vague however!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

The other end connects to a switch,

switch open - inverter operates

switch closed - inverter stops within 5sec.

Its a UK requirement but no one seems to know why ?

Mine is labelled as the DRM switch in the panel house just in case anyone inspecting in later years needs to know what the "piddly" little switch does, it does look odd in there next to the big DC cables and the mains breaker!

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Umski,

If you don't want the faff of crimping your own RJ45 just buy an RJ45 patch lead and fix the switch to one end, you may even have a spare ethernet cable laying around the house?

Moxi