Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:51 pm Ay, I think it must have been Boreas - we went with BiL & SiL (Glasgow) to visit the Dundee V&A. Also managed to meet my hero - Desperate Dan.
Dundee is a nice town, it's always come back from adversity. Nice folk.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We liked it - read the press and it’s an awful place. Different when you’re there.

Just. We’d to do something about that wind !

Belting trip on the train from Glasgow too.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:10 pm We liked it - read the press and it’s an awful place. Different when you’re there.

Just. We’d to do something about that wind !

Belting trip on the train from Glasgow too.
Heading down to Glasgow this weekend for lunch, dinner and a hotel overnight. Glasgow rocks & Edinburgh is well worth the time too. Glad you came up!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Yep, know Glasgow reasonably well - many trips for work and BiL now lives there. Edinburgh a favourite city - again, visited for work and pleasure many times.

Nice afternoon in the Balmoral Hotel on one visit.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mince & carrots are on as is a triple batch of my arrabiata. Grew some lantern type chilli's this year, 1/4 Size of a fist? Would think Israel peppers maybe, oh not at all! These things are way beyond cayenne or even scotch bonnet. :D
Accidentally touched myself on a toilet break, oochah beastie!!! :twisted: That was after 2 handwashes too. :lol:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Never done that with chillies but I did once with deep heat - :roll:

Still not cold enough here in North Wales for a log fire yet, walls are still holding around 20 degrees but the air temperature outside is now generally high teens only so its definitely starting to shift towards the mellow months.

All cooking is being done for free on the double hob and the air fryers still.

Moxi
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:03 am Never done that with chillies but I did once with deep heat - :roll:

Still not cold enough here in North Wales for a log fire yet, walls are still holding around 20 degrees but the air temperature outside is now generally high teens only so its definitely starting to shift towards the mellow months.

All cooking is being done for free on the double hob and the air fryers still.

Moxi
Between A levels and Uni, I worked in a food factory - one of their processes was extracting capsicum resin from chillies. We (the lab) would assay the resin so that the resin could be applied to an inert carrier (rusk/salt) to provide a standardised ‘heat’ product to the food industry.

One of the guys in the lab ‘borrowed’ the works van that had been moving this stuff around for some ‘courting’.

Surprising where that resin/extract ended up - think his girlfriend was more affected than him. Allegedly.
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Was a bit chilly in the cottage last night for the first time in months so lit the fire rather than turn on the heat pump. We use the top down fire stacking method, have done for years. One load burned for the duration of making dinner and watching a long film and was still putting out a gentle warmth when we went to bed. All that was needed instead of heating the whole house. I think there'll be a lot of that coming in the months ahead.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

WBS 1 is on and running on offcuts from a workshop clear out. Scored a relatively large amount of build grade offcuts to revitalise the goto woodpile for small build jobs, so we did a full clear out of the old and got a LOT of the workshop floorspace back. :D

Currently heating the room, a kettle, drying a load of washing and also batch cooking chilli for around 10 people. Nothing else really multitasks for me this way.

It has been a poor day for PV here yet the WBS and airfryer have done a great job of preserving the soc in the stack, can live with 70% tonight. ;)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Been a below average day here for PV, only about 14kWh, but it's been uncomfortably humid and warm, so the aircon is still running. We rarely need to turn the heating on before November, last year it went on right towards the end of November.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter