Decision time...

AE-NMidlands

Re: Decision time...

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:11 am AE, if you’re not with Octopus, you can get a £50 cashback on referral by a friend ;)
That’d help to offset some of the increase too.
I am with Octopus already, as they took over the Coop energy business and give Coop members a "special" tarriff - if you can believe what marketing people say.
However the one thing I can't find to put into my sums are the actual capped prices, so I can't estimate what any % rise means! I understand that they vary by region, and that suppliers can deviate in some ways, but only the "Average house" prices seem to be publicised.
Even Offgem say
Guidance for energy customers:
If you are an energy customer trying to find out your capped tariff price, please contact your energy supplier. You can find their contact information on an energy bill,
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:34 pm However the one thing I can't find to put into my sums are the actual capped prices, so I can't estimate what any % rise means! I understand that they vary by region, and that suppliers can deviate in some ways, but only the "Average house" prices seem to be publicised.
No supplier or OFGEM has announced official figures but the ball park will be 38.5p / kWh for leccy and 9.5p / kWh for gas from 1st October, capped for 2 years.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:34 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:11 am AE, if you’re not with Octopus, you can get a £50 cashback on referral by a friend ;)
That’d help to offset some of the increase too.
I am with Octopus already, as they took over the Coop energy business and give Coop members a "special" tarriff - if you can believe what marketing people say.
However the one thing I can't find to put into my sums are the actual capped prices, so I can't estimate what any % rise means! I understand that they vary by region, and that suppliers can deviate in some ways, but only the "Average house" prices seem to be publicised.
Even Offgem say
Guidance for energy customers:
If you are an energy customer trying to find out your capped tariff price, please contact your energy supplier. You can find their contact information on an energy bill,
I can only add that I am every bit as frustrated by trying to find what the "capped" prices are. It seems to me that there is some sort of weighting algorithm applied, and that the notional 54% rise allowed in April wasn't really 54% at all. Our prices were capped, as we are on a standard variable tariff, but the % increase in April was all over the place. For example:

Peak rate tariff was 27.773p/kWh. That increased by 19.76% to 33.26p/kWh under the notional 54% cap

Off-peak tariff was 7.56p/kWh. That increased by 135.86% to 17.831p/kWh under the notional 54% cap

Standing charge was 22.97p/day. That increased by 81.63% to 41.72p/day

Very hard to see how the 54% cap relates to those increases, but presumably there is some magic formula that is applied to make those increases magically add up to no more than 54%. For us the reality is that our bill has far more than doubled and will likely be around 4 times higher this winter than last, with the October increase as well.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I don't suppose a small DIY ground mount DC system would make a sensible alternative for you AE ? While you wait for the main system ? Thats assuming you have ground space and suitable aspect.

Moxi
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Or perhaps an RHI-supported hybrid heat pump?https://greenerenergygroup.co.uk/servic ... DwEALw_wcB
Burble61

Post by Burble61 »

There were very, very good reasons why the Arquiva operated long range radio system supplied by Sensus wasn't adopted in the South & Midlands regions....

Naff all to do with technology.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Thebeeman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:50 am
My Fronius inverter and Luxpower inverter with the new batteries all talk via the web.
You have done well to get it all up and running since June then!
Thebeeman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 am The 'new' Liz in our lives has mentioned doing something for us oil users but no details yet. I'm in need of 1500 litres but can wait and see for a month or two.
I wonder how it will work? No details as yet. Fortunately I was able to fill up at 77p, we will be lucky to see that price again this winter.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

sharpener wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:16 pm
Thebeeman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:50 am
My Fronius inverter and Luxpower inverter with the new batteries all talk via the web.
You have done well to get it all up and running since June then!
Homeenergygroup, good price AND had stock. The installer was down, in Devon, from Essex doing 3 jobs and had more in his schedule for the following weeks.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

kla456 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:42 pm Or perhaps an RHI-supported hybrid heat pump?https://greenerenergygroup.co.uk/servic ... DwEALw_wcB
It seems a sensible way to go, especially as the existing house system boiler needs replacing soon, but I got the impression that these sorts of things (being 2 technologies shoved together) have 2 sets of ways to go wrong...
Moxi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:00 pm I don't suppose a small DIY ground mount DC system would make a sensible alternative for you AE ? While you wait for the main system ? Thats assuming you have ground space and suitable aspect.
Moxi
I think I shall dip my toe in the water with something like this. I might try some pylontechs in the coal-shed, fed off a moveable array on the lawn. Hybrid inverter to allow for a future upgrade (or to re-sell) and a new dedicated circuit in the kitchen for transferring our cooking loads to home-produced electricity. Maybe a spur to the immersion heater (never used since installation 35 years ago) and definitely a separate additional earth spike.

What sort of cable for a moveable array? I am imagining it coming out of the coal-shed well above head height and going to the top of a pole on the array frame.

For the future (after I have sorted the eaves and gutters) I think my plans have crystallised to 2 in-roof pv arrays on the back faces that need replacing soon and an on-roof set of panels at the front. I think that will be when all the pv gets integrated and grid-tied.
Thanks to everyone here - and at the old place - for ideas over the years.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!