Solis RAI-3K 5G

Umski

Re: Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Umski »

Kenny000666 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:24 pm Just a cheap plastic-y enclosure. But it’s the only one I could find that fits my space and not exposed.

3 Module Consumer Unit Box, Plastic Circuit Breaker Distribution Box, Transparent Cover Distribution Protection Box For Circuit Breaker Indoor on the Wall 3-4 Ways https://amzn.eu/d/dd6NjOb

Wylex do a good water proof CU that fits the meter perfectly with a see through cover that’s cheaper, https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-wbe3-i ... sure/74436.

Unfortunately it’s too tall to fit in my space.

Yeh I was thinking of just mounting it, but having an exposed AC connection is too much out of my comfort zone.
Good find, Toolstation have a couple of blank boxes but seem to be out of stock, I may head to Screwfix as they have some that are similar. Hadn't thought of looking on Amazon, I tend to head to ebay but there was very little in similar designs which is unusual.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Umski wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:09 am
Kenny000666 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:06 pm Got the inverter, Garage Consumer Unit, Meter box and wiring pushed through. Just waiting on battery to arrive, and sparky to wire it all up.
Nice and neat :) Which enclosure did you use for the Acrel meter? I just bought a small length of DIN rail which is mounted to the wall but it has mains fed into it so I'm sure someone will say it needs to be enclosed!

I'm now in two minds whether to bother with my 4 lead acids as I'll need a load of 5 or 6AWG wiring and lugs to hook it all up - ITS are now showing the US5000 as being available start of October...
Yes you need an enclosure! Single insulated cables should never be accessible.

Something like this is perfect: https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-wbe3-i ... sure/74436

Lots more choice here though: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index ... index.html

I wouldn't worry about the lead-acids just get the Pylontechs ordered as soon as possible!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Umski

Post by Umski »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:12 am
Umski wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:09 am
Kenny000666 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:06 pm Got the inverter, Garage Consumer Unit, Meter box and wiring pushed through. Just waiting on battery to arrive, and sparky to wire it all up.
Nice and neat :) Which enclosure did you use for the Acrel meter? I just bought a small length of DIN rail which is mounted to the wall but it has mains fed into it so I'm sure someone will say it needs to be enclosed!

I'm now in two minds whether to bother with my 4 lead acids as I'll need a load of 5 or 6AWG wiring and lugs to hook it all up - ITS are now showing the US5000 as being available start of October...
Yes you need an enclosure! Single insulated cables should never be accessible.

Something like this is perfect: https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-wbe3-i ... sure/74436

Lots more choice here though: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index ... index.html

I wouldn't worry about the lead-acids just get the Pylontechs ordered as soon as possible!
Thanks, yes on reflection and having found that those blank enclosures are a thing, this was what I was looking at doing. Yes already have the Pylon on pre-order, so it's in the pipeline already...the dates keep changing and were showing as end of October when I placed it hence the indifference!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I believe that if an enclosure like this is going inside a house it now has to be made of non-flammable material, the newer ones seem to be made of steel. The plastic ones are OK outside or in an outbuilding, I believe.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am I believe that if an enclosure like this is going inside a house it now has to be made of non-flammable material, the newer ones seem to be made of steel. The plastic ones are OK outside or in an outbuilding, I believe.
Only the main consumer unit has to be non-combustable. I've heard electricians explaining that this is dumb because the add-on units for electric showers are a major source of fires. Also the "main switch" supplied by the DNO will be in a plastic enclosure...

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 am
Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am I believe that if an enclosure like this is going inside a house it now has to be made of non-flammable material, the newer ones seem to be made of steel. The plastic ones are OK outside or in an outbuilding, I believe.
Only the main consumer unit has to be non-combustable. I've heard electricians explaining that this is dumb because the add-on units for electric showers are a major source of fires. Also the "main switch" supplied by the DNO will be in a plastic enclosure...
Does that mean if you have a searate CU for say your PV that it could plastic rather than steel? Does a garage or shed CU need to be steel?

OK is this a valid explanation (or out of date)? https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-ma ... mer-units/
Last edited by Countrypaul on Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 am
Acccording to the IET all indoor switchgear enclosures have had to be non-flammable since 2016 (my added emphasis on the relevant part of the regulations): https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-ma ... mer-units/
421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.

NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

NOTE 2: The implementation date for this regulation is the 1st January 2016, but does not preclude compliance with the regulation prior to that date.[/quote
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

OK, you got to it first... :D
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

You've missed the definition of "Similar switchgear assemblies". It

Similar switchgear assemblies
The phrase ‘similar switchgear assemblies’ in Regulation 421.1.201 means those assemblies used for the same fundamental application as a consumer unit. A consumer unit is defined in Part 2 of BS 7671:

‘Consumer unit(may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.’

An example of a similar switchgear assembly is a three-phase distribution board that is intended to be operated by ordinary persons. This would have to have isolation that interrupts the three incoming line conductors and the neutral, rather than just double-pole isolation as mentioned in the above definition.
By All means fit a non-combustable enclosure. However the reason plastic enclosures are still sold is that they are not required if it isn't a CU!
Last edited by Stinsy on Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:14 am You've missed the definition of "Similar switchgear assemblies". It

Similar switchgear assemblies
The phrase ‘similar switchgear assemblies’ in Regulation 421.1.201 means those assemblies used for the same fundamental application as a consumer unit. A consumer unit is defined in Part 2 of BS 7671:

‘Consumer unit(may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.’

An example of a similar switchgear assembly is a three-phase distribution board that is intended to be operated by ordinary persons. This would have to have isolation that interrupts the three incoming line conductors and the neutral, rather than just double-pole isolation as mentioned in the above definition.
By All means fit a non-combustable enclosure. However the reason they are still sold is that they are not required if it isn't a CU!
Not sure how on earth you can say they are "not required" when it appears that the regulations mandate that they are required! Wriggling around to subvert an obvious safety requirement by a bit of dubious interpretation of the actual words seems unwise, especially as there is no cost penalty involved. The steel enclosures aren't much different in price to the plastic ones.

The critical bit is the terminations as a cause of possible fire, I believe, so it makes complete sense for ANY switchgear assembly that includes wire terminations to be in a fire resistant enclosure if it is inside. Arguably it makes sense to use a fire resistant enclosure anywhere, really.

I had this discussion with the electrician that fitted a small enclosure in our meter box, years ago, to house the fuse and RCD. He used a steel enclosure, even though the regulation quoted above hadn't yet come into force, as he said that it made sense to bring the installation up to the fire resistance standards that would be required in a year or so's time.