Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Joeboy

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Joeboy »

Caesium wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:43 am Notification out of the blue that DPD will deliver my batteries today by 1:30 :D

Didn't get any intermediate tracking info like customs or entering the country etc, just straight to delivery. Exciting though, now lets hope a box of bricks doesn't turn up ;)
Excellent, 42 days from date of order. That's right in the window of delivery they stated. Looking forward to seeing them. 👀
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Heard from the guy in China today and apparently the batteries are on the train from China. I remember reading about that freight train when it was set up a few years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiwu%E2 ... 6%20miles).

I'd love to make that journey, a proper Marco Polo adventure!, :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Here we go :)

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Caesium wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:19 pm Here we go :)

Ooh, funcy! Liking it! :D
Strangely, zero envy. :mrgreen:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Well that was genuinely terrifying knowing how much fire I could make if I touched the wrong thing, but its hooked together now.

Probably sort the balancer next then figure out if I can insulate individual terminals a bit more before hooking it up to the rest of the Pylontechs.

The ply intentionally juts out in front of the terminals to lessen the risk of anything dropping between the rows and shorting out

Ought to cut down the rods too. I have two at the back but only one at the front as thats all I could get out of a screwfix 3*1m pack.. think it'll do the job.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Caesium wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 pm Well that was genuinely terrifying knowing how much fire I could make if I touched the wrong thing, but its hooked together now.

Probably sort the balancer next then figure out if I can insulate individual terminals a bit more before hooking it up to the rest of the Pylontechs.

The ply intentionally juts out in front of the terminals to lessen the risk of anything dropping between the rows and shorting out

Ought to cut down the rods too. I have two at the back but only one at the front as thats all I could get out of a screwfix 3*1m pack.. think it'll do the job.
That is a fine looking build! Well impressed. Were the individual packs all close in terms of voltage on arrival?
3.2906V per now. Liking the wing nuts too. :D Exciting, non explosive times!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Yep they were all within two thousandths of a volt of each other, 3.290v - 3.292v, I thought that was pretty good. So the balancer won't have much work to do yet.

After seeing some croc clips on a balancer on a thread round here recently I cribbed the idea and ordered a bunch off ebay so I have more soldering to do now :) Can just clip onto the busbars then, nice and easy.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Caesium wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:28 pm Yep they were all within two thousandths of a volt of each other, 3.290v - 3.292v, I thought that was pretty good. So the balancer won't have much work to do yet.

After seeing some croc clips on a balancer on a thread round here recently I cribbed the idea and ordered a bunch off ebay so I have more soldering to do now :) Can just clip onto the busbars then, nice and easy.
That would be Nowty's set up. Excellent, you're nearly there!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Caesium wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 pm Well that was genuinely terrifying knowing how much fire I could make if I touched the wrong thing, but its hooked together now.

Yes it is, its like climbing off a ladder onto your roof, if your not used to it. You have worked out in miniscule detail that your plan is correct, but when you place that copper bus bar across those two batteries, you start questioning your own sanity. :lol:

Seriously, as I've said before, you've got to be game on and it's not for the faint hearted. :twisted:

From experience, I'd be onto that balancer in quick time if I were you. ;)

But that has its own entertainment. :?
Top tip, don't rush it and tape over every bare wire until your connecting it, not in the way I didn't. :oops:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Yes it is, its like climbing off a ladder onto your roof, if your not used to it. You have worked out in miniscule detail that your plan is correct, but when you place that copper bus bar across those two batteries, you start questioning your own sanity. :lol:

Seriously, as I've said before, you've got to be game on and it's not for the faint hearted. :twisted:

From experience, I'd be onto that balancer in quick time if I were you. ;)

But that has its own entertainment. :?
Top tip, don't rush it and tape over every bare wire until your connecting it, not in the way I didn't. :oops:
Did you make the connections from balance board wire to each battery with the multiplugs connected to the board Nowty?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs