Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

Tinbum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 pm
I only got a replacement hob to fill the hole the old one left (however the fact that it doesn't work properly from new) due to naff design & poor construction makes for an expensive worktop.
Like toasters that the bread doesn't fit in!!
I've often wondered why the toaster designers/manufacturers seem to have never seen/measured a typical slice of bread!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Because a loaf slice may be a personal choice & there are so many of them.
(made harder of you are shopping in Waitrose though)

Most folk go with price & style before performance on what is deemed a disposable electrical item (for shame)
We went with a £3.00 4 slice unit that died beyond economical repair after 14 years, moved onto a 3 slice dualit, don't think the majority are even aware they sell spares.

To really solve it the world needs conveyor belt toasters (used in hotels, very good)

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... %3DApi&f=1
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Shockingly bad form for the UK grid currently, I thought 2 weeks ago was bad but this is worse. :(
And we are even burning coal in the middle of summer. :!:

Nowty Towers on the other hand is still running 99.5%+ renewables for the whole of July and has given away 1/4 of a MWh to the grid on top. :mrgreen:
And my home battery has not been lower than 60% SOC either.

OK I suppose I did top up the EV with around 12kWh on a free Tesco charger last week, but that still makes it 98%. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I like the idea of electric power generated vs bought from grid represented as a percentage. A good way to keep a close eye on the months result.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Slightly cooler the last couple of days so the heatpump was run briefly in the early mornings to keep the morning chill off. The immersun also dumped 10 kWh into the storage heaters and that is keeping Nowty Towers nice and toasty all evening. Hot water tanks full and EV topped up early evening from home battery.

Eleccy self sufficiency today was over 99.8%, and with over 10 kWh fed into the grid.

Happy House

House Energy Balance
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Took figures on 30th July as we flew to Crete the next morning. July was a 92.3% self reliant month for electricity. I find that to be a stunning accomplishment as the EV was charged many times at our house and we put well over a thousand miles in. Once Sept rolls around I'll check for 1 year figures with array 2 in the mix. :)

Nice graphs btw.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Well, managed to get through Aug with 99+% leccy provided by my renewables but with several consecutive days with very thick cloud, the home and car batteries have been getting lower and lower. A hospital appointment and therefore extra EV usage yesterday was the final nail in the coffin. :evil:

Nowty Towers finally threw in the towel last night and chose to import during the cheap rate period. :(

On the plus side, the next few days look much brighter and warmer, so we are not finished yet this year. :mrgreen:

The hour or so of import in the early hours on the same day was "a mystery" to me until I diagnosed that there had been some kind of comms failure where the whole system reverted to fall-back mode.

Compared with the UK Grid though, Nowty Towers is still winning hands down.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I thought that CCGT was supposed to be a fall-back intended to balance surges in demand or sudden drops in supply (eg from renewables), but CCGT seems to be an ever more significant portion of the energy mix in the UK.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Coal was basically replaced by Gas, that was what the dash for gas was all about, and sadly renewables have been on holiday for a couple of weeks due to that big anticyclone centred just NW of Scotland, as you say Gas also fills in the gaps in renewables.

Deps
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Serious question and not meant to be inflammatory, but how do we manage with 100% renewables when we have this scenario ?

Wind generation is seriously down in the windy bits and solar generation is down in what should be the sunny bits due to cloud.

Is there ever going to be enough storage to last several weeks of little generation, considering what was discharged wouldn’t be replaced ?