Hello from a Former Lurker

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
MrPablo

Hello from a Former Lurker

Post by MrPablo »

Hi all,

I've spent a while lurking on this forum whilst I was getting my self-installed solar & battery setup working, but I thought I'd finally join in properly!

In terms of my setup, I have 10 x 405w panels sitting on a wooden mounting structure which is attached to my garage. Unfortunately my house roof orientation is just not great, plus diy installation at that height didn't appeal!

The garage roof pitch is north facing, so the wooden frame allows me to mount the panels due south at 5 degree pitch.

As the second picture suggests, shading is a given in the early morning and late afternoon from October and will be until March, so most generation is during the noon period.
This is all coupled to a Solis 3.6kw hybrid with 3 x Pylontech US3000C, also located in the garage.
So far, the setup has worked really well with much lower costs due to the diy install!

I have spent a lot of time on the control and monitoring through modbus, home assistant and lots of data investigation, so I'm hoping to share this with the forum in case others could benefit.

Looking forward to being an active member and learning more!
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Joeboy

Re: Hello from a Former Lurker

Post by Joeboy »

Welcome onboard MrPablo!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Welcome, another Home Assistant fan here. I'm pulling data from our battery inverter using an ESP8266, connected to the RS485/Modbus port and using MQTT to get it via WiFi to Home Assistant (running on a Raspberry Pi).
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Hi and welcome,

With the shading issues you mention have you looked at optimisers such as Tigo?
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

I did have several Tigo optimisers on order from Voltacon but cancelled it after viewing the MPPT voltage & current data from the inverter.
The majority of the time, the MPPT pulls the voltage down and the shaded sections of the panels get bypassed anyway.

Instead, I'm thinking of buying some additional panels to mount on the south facing gable wall, so the cash will be needed for that!
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
nowty

Post by nowty »

MrPablo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:09 pm I did have several Tigo optimisers on order from Voltacon but cancelled it after viewing the MPPT voltage & current data from the inverter.
The majority of the time, the MPPT pulls the voltage down and the shaded sections of the panels get bypassed anyway.

Instead, I'm thinking of buying some additional panels to mount on the south facing gable wall, so the cash will be needed for that!
Yes, my SMA inverter does shade management by doing an occasional global peak MPPT scan. If your inverter does this and your panels are the same and facing the same direction (like yours), then TIGOs don't add much value. But if your adding mismatched panels or panels facing a different direction then TIGOs are superior.

Quite a nice looking array you have too. :D

If anyone complains they are more than 200mm higher than the roof, you say, they are the roof. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stan

Post by Stan »

Well done MrPablo. It looks great. If the frame of each PV panel stands 2 or 3mm proud of the glass, which is usually the case, then at 5 degrees slope water will sit at the bottom of the slope, leading to a build-up of dirt and alga eventually. This affects output but it looks as though you can easily reach to clean with an extending pole and soft buffer.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Yep, I've got the long pole on standby for cleaning duty! I would have liked more of a pitch, but so far they seem to drain pretty well.

Nowty, that's exactly my viewpoint, plus if there's ever an official issue, I'll just reroof the garage with a pitched roof that's suspiciously similar in profile...
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum! :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Im sure theres room for a "waffer thin" (small) ladder, step variety under there nowty 😏
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more