Energy Tariffs

Oldgreybeard

Re: Energy Tariffs

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:23 pm 70% soc! :D
Hot water full charged, battery fully charged, car fully charged, now exporting a bit to the grid :)

Home Assistant.jpg
Home Assistant.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 878 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:23 pm [
It certainly brings into focus the increasing value of all those harvested kWh's we generate at our homes across the full year. Not to mention various FIT's and Ripple too. Regardless of how market forces and politics drive the price of energy I genuinely think myself very fortunate indeed and will continue to invest in RE projects for the remainder of my life. :ugeek:
Too right. I just wish I were as clever as some of you lot so I could manage to do more.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:52 am Too right. I just wish I were as clever as some of you lot so I could manage to do more.
Like most things in life, it isn't as complicated as it might seem. Building your own solar install involves a lot of detail but each part is pretty simple to execute. Some of the design considerations require experience/knowledge but this forum has lots of that...

If you've got a good spot for some panels get 'em up!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I'd second what Stinsy has written above. Broken down into parts none of this is very difficult. I find the mechanical stuff most challenging, for example, and don't really have a problem with wiring. Others may be happier with the mechanical stuff and find the wiring a bit more of a challenge. The great thing about a place like this is there is pretty much bound to be someone that has done what you want to do already, so advice is usually forthcoming, unless it's something very oddball.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:54 pmAt the time I started working through ideas for a zero energy home, in the late 1990s, everyone I knew thought I was a bit of a nutter, including my wife.
Oh that one I know very well. My journey started at age 15 (I'm 56) when I did a project on alternative energy at school, which totally captured my imagination and has been one of the things I've stayed connected to for the past 40 years. I had catalogues from all the Scandinavian kit house builders, the nascent solar industry. With the birth of the internet I connected through newsgroups on alternative energy and off-grid building with people all over the world.

My dream was always to build my timber framed, off-grid house in the mountains somewhere, I guess it still is :) Life took several different turns and I've lived in several countries but 10 years ago we bought an old stone farmhouse in Devon and it's been my project to make it as efficient as possible without losing it's character. The day the solar panels went on, 7 years ago, was one of the most rewarding of my life, my first big step in home-scale renewables.

We have new neighbours who have, over the past two years, converted a run-down barn into a beautiful, modern eco-home and it's been so much fun to talk with them and help them a little in their choices of how to make their home as efficient as possible. Maybe one day I'll build from scratch but, for now, bringing an old, cold, damp and draughty house into the 21st century has been thoroughly rewarding.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW