Idiot's guide to a self build battery

MrPablo

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by MrPablo »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:35 am I’ve been giving this some thought…

If you’re ditching the 15s Pylontechs, why go 16s and not 17s?

I believe your inverter’s charge voltage can be set to 42-60V, given that Victron recommend charging 15s Pylontechs at 52.4V then this extrapolates to c. 59.4V for a 17s setup.
This is an intriguing idea, it would unlock a lot more discharge power for those of us with inverters that do a max discharge of 65a or so.
I might have to look into this further, especially as selling my Pylontechs will be quite easy I think.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Check your cooker, some do mange the total load used by the elements to kee the peak down, obviously doesn't apply if you have separate ovens, hob and microwave.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

marshman wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 am OGB, you clearly have your housemate (s) well trained !! can't see any massive sustained peak loads. My wife refuses to stagger loads - so brews a pot of tea, boils an egg, makes toast and uses the microwave all at the same time and sometimes goes for the washing machine whilst waiting for that lot ! Just seen nearly 7kW on the power meter (conveniently placed in the kitchen - but totally ignored) - I had a panic attack so checked where it was all coming from and was relieved that only 250W was coming from the grid - most was from the 6kW Solis inverter and battery with a few hundred watts from the other PV system, lucky it is a "bright" day. The peaks are short lived - except when the same person decides to tumble dry the washing at the same time as dinner is being cooked in the evening :roll: , but it explains the "leakage" of the odd peak rate unit or two into the house.

Tempted to fit some intelligent "power management" to the high power kitchen appliances - so that they can't all come on at once. Must be possible to fit/wire the cooker so that only one (maybe two) elements can come on at a time, despite my "man splaining" everything gets switched on at once - a simple bit of logic and a few relays could solve that. I might also reduce the peak power of the toaster by rewiring the elements or powering it via a transformer to reduce the voltage - I am sure she would never know :D
We're pretty good at only having high loads on overnight, or when there is a lot of PV generation. This is our power consumption for the same period (the past week) and shows that the big loads are only on during the off-peak period, and that we always stay under the inverter max power plus the PV power during the day. Biggest single difference over the past few weeks has been changing from using the full size oven to using the small combination oven/grill/air fryer. The high overnight peaks are a couple of times when we've charged the car overnight.

House power.jpg
House power.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

marshman wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 am I had a panic attack so checked where it was all coming from and was relieved that only 250W was coming from the grid - most was from the 6kW Solis inverter and battery with a few hundred watts from the other PV system, lucky it is a "bright" day. The peaks are short lived - except when the same person decides to tumble dry the washing at the same time as dinner is being cooked in the evening :roll:
Nowty Towers and others on here seem to experience this similar "panic attack" syndrome caused by their other half's obsession with simultaneous domestic appliances. :lol:

The problem is, to us the logic is inherent, positive and negative power calculations are computed automatically depending on time of year, weather compensated, house loads and battery SOC.

Example,

In Winter,
You can't put everything on together so don't run the microwave to heat your milk whilst the kettle and toaster is on and try and run the toaster after the kettle's boiled. :evil:

"OK, got that"

In Summer
Don't worry stick it all on its sunny. :twisted:

"But you said......!", yes but that was in winter.

"OK, got that everything on if sunny."

But then there is the time in Summer when its a bit overcast and you've got the EV charging in the background and SWMBO is running the washing machine. Suddenly, the kettle, toaster and microwave all go on together. :shock:

Nooooooooooo. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

My fix was to put together a pretty simple Home Assistant dashboard, with coloured segments on the dials. When the dials are green then it's generally OK to turn high power stuff on. My wife's getting to be very good at this, just checks the dashboard before deciding to turn on anything, other than when cooking. Even then she's very good at not turning lots of things on at once, so we don't go over the max the inverter plus PV can deliver.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Thankfully we have 3 phase and my wife is getting much better at doing things when the sun is shining. We have the odd blip every now and then but we are getting there.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Excess load above the inverter capacity is something I've been wrestling with.
Most of the time my wife and I are pretty good, pausing the dishwasher to boil the kettle, etc, but I will admit I am a lazy efficient person.
I very recently set up some automation with Node Red and Home Assistant to turn off certain loads if grid import goes above 50w for 10s. After it drops back below 50w for 10s, the load comes back on.

Here's the kettle causing the dehumidifier to turn off automatically.

Not for everyone, but I'm a fan of making things as hands off as possible.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

MrPablo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:51 pm Here's the kettle causing the dehumidifier to turn off automatically.

Not for everyone, but I'm a fan of making things as hands off as possible.
I like ideas like this but the more modern an appliance is, I find, the more likely it has its own "smarts" and simply doesn't come back on after being turned off/on at the plug with a smart plug. You need to physically go press an "on" button on my dehumidifier for example to get it going again :(

Do you have any workarounds for this (opening it up and bypassing the on switch probably not what I'm looking for :D) or stick to more dumb dehumidifiers?