Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Oldgreybeard

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Although the principle of "energy saving" directives limiting the maximum power for things like kettles is a bit flawed (a 1.5kW kettle wastes more energy than a 2.5kW one, for example) there is merit in choosing lower power appliances when running from an inverter, just to keep the peak demand down. We have a boiling water tap, not the most energy efficient thing to have, but it does have the big advantage of only drawing very short pulses of power at about 1.5kW maximum. It's one less thing to worry about when thinking of simultaneous loads. it's hard wired to a time switch, so is only on during the day and early evening and overall I don't think it uses much, if any, more energy through a day than a kettle would.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Caesium wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm Do you have any workarounds for this (opening it up and bypassing the on switch probably not what I'm looking for :D) or stick to more dumb dehumidifiers?
I think this is one of those situations where a dumb appliance is more of a help than a hindrance, not that helps you in this case!
One thing to consider is the type of appliance as well, my dehumidifier is a desiccant model so should cope ok with stop and start. I wouldn't like to do this with a compressor model.
Short of opening it up, might not be much you can do.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Caesium wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm
I like ideas like this but the more modern an appliance is, I find, the more likely it has its own "smarts" and simply doesn't come back on after being turned off/on at the plug with a smart plug. You need to physically go press an "on" button on my dehumidifier for example to get it going again :(

Do you have any workarounds for this (opening it up and bypassing the on switch probably not what I'm looking for :D) or stick to more dumb dehumidifiers?
I have this dehumidifier: https://amzn.eu/d/21fzC88

It works perfectly via a smartplug (turns on when power is restored).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Krill

Post by Krill »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:09 pm Although the principle of "energy saving" directives limiting the maximum power for things like kettles is a bit flawed (a 1.5kW kettle wastes more energy than a 2.5kW one, for example) there is merit in choosing lower power appliances when running from an inverter, just to keep the peak demand down. We have a boiling water tap, not the most energy efficient thing to have, but it does have the big advantage of only drawing very short pulses of power at about 1.5kW maximum. It's one less thing to worry about when thinking of simultaneous loads. it's hard wired to a time switch, so is only on during the day and early evening and overall I don't think it uses much, if any, more energy through a day than a kettle would.
I was wondering about a boiling water tap.

What's it like to use? Do you fill up a teapot with it?
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Krill wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:23 pm
I was wondering about a boiling water tap.

What's it like to use? Do you fill up a teapot with it?
I have a boiling water tap (cheapo Insinkerator branded one) It is brill. Fills a saucepan of boiling water for pasta or whatever, perfect for the washing up bowl, halves the time it takes to make a cup of tea.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

As Stinsy says, it's brilliant. Not only can you make tea very quickly, but it also saves time, and I think also energy, when cooking things like peas or rice. Often there is no need to heat a saucepan at all. For peas we just put them in a small pyrex bowl and fill that with boiling water. A few minutes later the peas are cooked and ready to serve. Much the same with rice and pasta.

Doesn't seem to have a big impact on energy consumption as far as I've been able to tell. Ours turns on its heater about once every 20 to 30 minutes for around 20 seconds or so. During the day (it's on a time switch) it will usually turn on around 30 to 40 times, depends how often it's used, so it uses around 300Wh to 400Wh per day at the most. There's usually enough PV to cover most of that, so the running cost is pretty low. It's roughly the same as running a 2kW kettle for around 12 minutes a day.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Krill

Post by Krill »

Thanks for posting your experiences.

The lesson I'm taking away is that it is another incremental change that can reduce gas use (gas hob to cook on including boiling a kettle).
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Caesium wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm

I like ideas like this but the more modern an appliance is, I find, the more likely it has its own "smarts" and simply doesn't come back on after being turned off/on at the plug with a smart plug. You need to physically go press an "on" button on my dehumidifier for example to get it going again :(

Do you have any workarounds for this (opening it up and bypassing the on switch probably not what I'm looking for :D) or stick to more dumb dehumidifiers?
You can get a device that you stick on near the switch that will press the switch- can't quite recall its name at the moment.

Remembered;

https://uk.switch-bot.com/
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

MrPablo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:13 pm One thing to consider is the type of appliance as well, my dehumidifier is a desiccant model so should cope ok with stop and start. I wouldn't like to do this with a compressor model.
I run heat pumps controlled by my frequency system, based on an Arduino mega and Node-Red, but have timers set in the code so that they can't turn on until they have been off for a certain time and similarly they stay on for a minimum time. Works really well. I also set prioritising within the code to get the best out of each kWh as best I can.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW