Anything bad about Octopus? Looking to switch to them.

John_S

Re: Anything bad about Octopus? Looking to switch to them.

Post by John_S »

ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 pm
When you order smart meter from Octopus makes sure you ask for isolator switch as well. They do it for free but it takes more effort to do it separately.
When Octopus converted replaced my old meter with a smart meter, they also replaced my isolation switch with a new one. I was a bit annoyed that they did no leave the old isolation switch as it was me who had paid for it.

Without an isolation switch, you would need to remove the service fuse to isolate the system and the DNOs no longer like/allow electricians to remove the service fuse and charge to come and remove it and then replace and reseal it.
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

John_S wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:03 pm When Octopus converted replaced my old meter with a smart meter, they also replaced my isolation switch with a new one. I was a bit annoyed that they did no leave the old isolation switch as it was me who had paid for it.

Without an isolation switch, you would need to remove the service fuse to isolate the system and the DNOs no longer like/allow electricians to remove the service fuse and charge to come and remove it and then replace and reseal it.
My electrician didn't bother with notifying DNO when replacing CU but apparently it's a bigger issue when a smart meter is installed.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm
John_S wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:03 pm When Octopus converted replaced my old meter with a smart meter, they also replaced my isolation switch with a new one. I was a bit annoyed that they did no leave the old isolation switch as it was me who had paid for it.

My electrician didn't bother with notifying DNO when replacing CU but apparently it's a bigger issue when a smart meter is installed.
Pretty much all electricians will pull the main fuse if they need to isolate the supply. This used to be allowed, then it was frowned upon, now it is outright banned and smart meters are programmed to send an alert to the DNO who can send an enforcement team round and there are stories of sparks getting fined.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm My electrician didn't bother with notifying DNO when replacing CU but apparently it's a bigger issue when a smart meter is installed.

There's no requirement to inform the DNO when it comes to the majority of electrical work, like a CU change. AFAIK, the only time the DNO need to be told about something, or give consent, is when there are high load appliances installed (car charger, hot tub, heat pump, etc) or when there is generating equipment or battery storage installed. In your case the DNO should have been notified that a G98 compliant battery storage system has been installed. This is a pretty straightforward process for a system that is under 16A per phase, just notification after installation. You can do this, some DNOs have an online system to allow easy notification, I believe.

When it comes to pulling main fuses, the policy varies from one DNO to another. For example, SSEN are fine with granting consent to pull the fuse over the phone here. The chap that installed our car charger used our landline to get consent to pull the fuse from SSEN and said that he does this pretty much everyday. My understanding is that the DNO people that pull and replace fuses aren't fully qualified electricians, anyway, which makes a bit of a mockery of the whole daft situation.
Last edited by Oldgreybeard on Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 pm
ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm

Pretty much all electricians will pull the main fuse if they need to isolate the supply. This used to be allowed, then it was frowned upon, now it is outright banned and smart meters are programmed to send an alert to the DNO who can send an enforcement team round and there are stories of sparks getting fined.
When I was going to change my consumer unit, I called the local DNO (SSE) and told them what was happening, and they said go ahead and they will get someone round in a couple of weeks or so to put new seals on the main fuse.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

When my smart meter went in (long story!) the Octopus guy put in the isolator and an additional ariel to ensure we stayed connected. It failed to send signal after a few days so they came out again and successfully made it work :)

No issues with Octopus since, happy camper :D
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 pm There's no requirement to inform the DNO when it comes to the majority of electrical work, like a CU change. AFAIK, the only time the DNO need to be told about something, or give consent, is when there are high load appliances installed (car charger, hot tub, heat pump, etc) or when there is generating equipment or battery storage installed. In your case the DNO should have been notified that a G98 compliant battery storage system has been installed. This is a pretty straightforward process for a system that is under 16A per phase, just notification after installation. You can do this, some DNOs have an online system to allow easy notification, I believe.
Is it my job if an electrician has done the installation? I'm not sure he's done it but I wonder whether I should chase him or just do it myself?
I was reviewing a pack from solicitor for a friend of mine who is buying a house and there was a question about changes that should have been notified. So, I guess when it comes to selling my house someone may ask for a paperwork for the new mini CU, but I haven't got anything.
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

As far as I know there are two bits of paperwork you're legally obliged to do - send a G98 notification to the DNO, and obtain a BS7671 certificate for the wiring modifications. I'm going through the same process myself right now.

The BS7671 probably won't be an issue until you come to sell the house (?) but if you've had an electrician install your system then I would chase him for it otherwise you'll have to pay someone else for one at a later date. And many are reluctant to certify someone else's work.

The G98 you can definitely do yourself, there are threads on this forum from people who have done the same.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

dangermouse wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:18 am As far as I know there are two bits of paperwork you're legally obliged to do - send a G98 notification to the DNO, and obtain a BS7671 certificate for the wiring modifications. I'm going through the same process myself right now.

The BS7671 probably won't be an issue until you come to sell the house (?) but if you've had an electrician install your system then I would chase him for it otherwise you'll have to pay someone else for one at a later date. And many are reluctant to certify someone else's work.

The G98 you can definitely do yourself, there are threads on this forum from people who have done the same.
That's as I understand it too, with the proviso that lodging the electrical installation certificate on the building control database, to show compliance with Part P, only applies in England and Wales (Scotland doesn't have Part P I think). The DNO notification applies for the whole of the UK I think.

The Part P thing in England and Wales is just for notifiable electrical work, not everything. Notifiable work includes installing new circuits like a new inverter, car charger or outdoor socket, replacing a consumer unit, etc. Just doing things like fitting new light fittings, sockets, minor wiring alterations (outside kitchens and bathrooms) or replacing existing things with new (for example swapping a failed inverter for a new one) doesn't normally require part P approval, AFAIK.

All the work needs to comply with BS7671, anywhere in the UK, and all electrical work normally requires some sort of certification, ranging from a minor works certificate for something like replacing a socket to a full electrical installation certificate for something like a new circuit or consumer unit change. Unless the work is notifiable under Part P, then the certificate only needs to be given to the customer, although I had to chase to get a copy of one last time I had work done. The reason I chased it was because the lack of any certificates for our old house was picked up by our buyers solicitor when we sold it, I needed to do a periodic inspection and give that to them to keep them happy. I think this is a relatively new thing, as it didn't come up when we moved house 15 years earlier.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter