Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

nowty

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by nowty »

I'm going switch to OffGrid mode at 16:58 to see what happens and I'll be checking the output from my Octopus Mini for the live readings. :geek:

Hoping to get a rounding error and minimum reward out of it like last year. :mrgreen:

But the use of Octopoints (8 octopoints = 1p) make it possible to dilute the savings to fractions of a penny. :evil:

Maybe still get lucky in a mystery prize. :D
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:28 pm I'm going switch to OffGrid mode at 16:58 to see what happens and I'll be checking the output from my Octopus Mini for the live readings. :geek:

Hoping to get a rounding error and minimum reward out of it like last year. :mrgreen:

But the use of Octopoints (8 octopoints = 1p) make it possible to dilute the savings to fractions of a penny. :evil:

Maybe still get lucky in a mystery prize. :D
I think Mr Gus has a point about gimpage! I have lit a candle, the wbs is on, it's absolutely chucking it down, big background audio track as is the high winds. In 15 mins gonna kill all the lights and just kick back for an hour. Shall there be red wine in the dark as the pasta sauce cooks, 😋 maybe...

Life was never this much fun when we treated power as the masses do.
Edit 16.53, game on! :D

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fully offgrid now and checking the meter, yeah I'll be saving something alright. :lol:
SWMBO has just put the washing machine on, she's not getting into the spirit of this. :roll:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm SWMBO has just put the washing machine on, she's not getting into the spirit of this. :roll:
More training required!

My wife's got the hang of it now, looks at the forecast and the HA screen and if it doesn't look as if we'll be generating much she sticks the thing on overnight, using the timer. I always put the dishwasher on, because rather annoyingly it doesn't have a timer (when we bought it several years ago no one seemed to make a built in one with a timer). The dishwasher does annoy me, as if it needs to go on overnight in the summer I end up having to stay up late to turn it on. Not so bad in winter, as off-peak starts at 11:30pm, and the thing doesn't start to use significant power for the first ten minutes or so of its cycle.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Half hour in and the Octopus Mini is showing the correct reading. 8-)

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:38 pm Half hour in and the Octopus Mini is showing the correct reading. 8-)

My SWMBO sold a chest of drawers 20 minutes ago so the garage lights came on and the garage door rolled up, killed my curve man!, :lol:
A five second 130W bump. :roll:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:21 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm SWMBO has just put the washing machine on, she's not getting into the spirit of this. :roll:
More training required!

My wife's got the hang of it now, looks at the forecast and the HA screen and if it doesn't look as if we'll be generating much she sticks the thing on overnight, using the timer. I always put the dishwasher on, because rather annoyingly it doesn't have a timer (when we bought it several years ago no one seemed to make a built in one with a timer). The dishwasher does annoy me, as if it needs to go on overnight in the summer I end up having to stay up late to turn it on. Not so bad in winter, as off-peak starts at 11:30pm, and the thing doesn't start to use significant power for the first ten minutes or so of its cycle.
I've got an older dishwasher that doesn't have a timer and found that if I use a smart plug I can get the dishwasher to come on during the cheap rate.
To do this I make sure the smart plug is on then press the start button on the dishwasher then switch off the smart plug (using the button on the smart plug!).
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Fintray wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:58 pm I've got an older dishwasher that doesn't have a timer and found that if I use a smart plug I can get the dishwasher to come on during the cheap rate.
To do this I make sure the smart plug is on then press the start button on the dishwasher then switch off the smart plug (using the button on the smart plug!).
I tried this, but ran into two problems. The first is that, as the dishwasher is built in, getting to the socket means unscrewing it from the cabinet and pulling it out to get at the socket. I did this, thinking that a remotely controlled plug might sort it, but unfortunately the dishwasher forgets the settings as soon as the power goes off, even forgets that the on button has been pressed. Daft bit of design, really, as it also falls over if the power goes off part way through a cycle.

The newer model does have a built in timer, but I can't justify throwing out a perfectly good, if around 7 year old, dishwasher, just to get one with a timer.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:13 pm
Fintray wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:58 pm I've got an older dishwasher that doesn't have a timer and found that if I use a smart plug I can get the dishwasher to come on during the cheap rate.
I tried this, but ran into two problems. The first is that, as the dishwasher is built in, getting to the socket means unscrewing it from the cabinet and pulling it out to get at the socket. I did this, thinking that a remotely controlled plug might sort it, but unfortunately the dishwasher forgets the settings as soon as the power goes off, even forgets that the on button has been pressed. Daft bit of design, really, as it also falls over if the power goes off part way through a cycle.

The newer model does have a built in timer, but I can't justify throwing out a perfectly good, if around 7 year old, dishwasher, just to get one with a timer.
Would one of those smart switch bots work to operate the start button?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Interesting, could they not retrieve my readings because they were zero ?,
Or maybe my baseline amount was so near zero we are into rounding errors again. :lol:

I don't think I'll be complaining about saving the average amount. 8-)

That is the correct number Octopus, its just the way it is here at Nowty Towers and its hardly my fault your trying to divide by zero.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3