Camelot Members Annual Green Electric Generation

Update your annual/monthly generation data. Please list system details in first post.
Joeboy

Re: Camelot Members Annual Green Electric Generation

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:58 pm Big update time as I have added a new category of Energy Storage. :shock:
So, I'm asking a favor time, if you don't have your EV(s), home battery storage, hot water storage, storage heaters, etc in your sig, PM me with details. We must have masses more hot water / thermal stores heated via solar diverters or off peak tariffs.

In an average year 96 Camelot members will generate 495 MWh of renewable electricity onsite and 177 MWh remotely. :mrgreen:

Onsite Generation
PV - 451 MWh
Wind - 42 MWh
Hydro - 2 MWh
Total - 495 MWh

Remote Generation via Coop's
Ripple WT1 - 40 MWh
Ripple WT2 - 132 MWh
Hydro - 4 MWh
Total - 177 MWh

Grand Generation TOTAL - 672 MWh

AND

The same 96 Camelot members have a combined 1466 kWh of onsite Energy Storage capacity. :geek:

Home Batteries - 688 kWh
EV Batteries - 580 kWh
Hot Water Storage - 98 kWh
Thermal Mass Storage - 100 kWh
Storage Capacity TOTAL - 1466 kWh

Keep em coming, there must be more of you out there generating and storing. :twisted:
Publicly reply to this thread or PM me with your PV (kW installed or annual kWh), Ripple project, Co-op or other generation.
And now EVs, hotwater and thermal mass storage (like storage heaters).
Outstanding figures Nowty, will we be adding the energy4all offshore turbines down the road? :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Quick Nowty Towers back of fagpacket calculation, :geek:

If the numbers of the 96 were reflected across the whole population of the UK I calculate we would be generating an annual 441 TWh's which is more than the UK at 333 TWh's (according to google). :shock:

We would also have 962 GWh's of storage. And as I will inevitably have missed quite a few EVs and hot water storage from the 96, it would be well over 1TWh of storage. :mrgreen:

OK, one or two don't live in the UK but you get the idea. :D
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm Quick Nowty Towers back of fagpacket calculation, :geek:

If the numbers of the 96 were reflected across the whole population of the UK I calculate we would be generating an annual 441 TWh's which is more than the UK at 333 TWh's (according to google). :shock:

We would also have 962 GWh's of storage. And as I will inevitably have missed quite a few EVs and hot water storage from the 96, it would be well over 1TWh of storage. :mrgreen:

I’ve said before that new-builds should have 1kWp of solar and 2.4kWh of battery for every bedroom. Just imagine how stable the grid would be if every house had micro-generation and storage!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Krill

Post by Krill »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm Quick Nowty Towers back of fagpacket calculation, :geek:

Given that people don't live one person per house we're these figure worked out on per capita basis or on a per house basis? Can't even do per household really given flats can't have much solar...
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Krill wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 pm

Given that people don't live one person per house we're these figure worked out on per capita basis or on a per house basis? Can't even do per household really given flats can't have much solar...
It's a back of fag packet calculation as a bit of fun, from the raw data of a subset of 96 members, so don't take it too seriously.

If there are typically 2 per household, then halve the extrapolation, and flats can still buy into Cooperative generation. In fact some of the 96 members don't even have any solar.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:19 pm In fact some of the 96 members don't even have any solar.
I’ve heard of lots of people installing batteries recently but skipping the solar. Apparently it is possible to do the sums and come up with solar not being financially worthwhile. Maybe the payback from batteries is just comparatively quicker, maybe solar installers are profiteering from the uptic in demand and raising prices?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:13 am
nowty wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:19 pm In fact some of the 96 members don't even have any solar.
I’ve heard of lots of people installing batteries recently but skipping the solar. Apparently it is possible to do the sums and come up with solar not being financially worthwhile. Maybe the payback from batteries is just comparatively quicker, maybe solar installers are profiteering from the uptic in demand and raising prices?
They must have a good crystal ball. They must be relying heavily on the price differential between peak and off peak and T.O.U tariffs. Great if they stay as they are BUT if more and more demand is shifted to the cheap slot then it won't be so cheap any more.

An "interesting number" would be to see how much consumption members of this forum has shifted to the off peak periods in the last couple of years. In my case it is 100%, prior to batteries and more PV being fitted earlier this year only 25% of consumption was "off peak".
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I think it will take quite a lot of people fitting batteries and using mostly off-peak electricity to make a dent in the big disparity between the daytime demand (largely driven by industry and businesses) and the night time demand. The day/night demand variation is roughly 10GW to 15GW each day, as shown for the grid demand data for this month, and that for 14th November (gives a better idea of the times):

November grid demand.jpg
November grid demand.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
14th November grid demand.jpg
14th November grid demand.jpg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
If a million UK homes were to install batteries, and were each to charge those batteries overnight at 3kW for 4 hours, then that would increase grid demand overnight by about 3GW for that 4 hour period, and reduce daytime demand by perhaps 0.6GW for the remaining 20 hours.

I think we're several years away from home batteries having any significant impact on the balance of demand between day and night, TBH. EVs are most probably going to have a much bigger impact, and more rapidly, given how sales are going.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
marshman

Post by marshman »

Don't disagree that the actual demand shift will be tiny, but we have already seen the erosion of the price differential between the E7 night rate and the day rate. And many members on here "pull" a lot more than 3kW for 4 hours (I appreciate that was to illustrate the small effect!), as they are not only charging batteries, but their EV and their storage heaters as well, something that was not happening just 2 years ago.

My point was that in my opinion PV is a safer bet on the return front than just relying on batteries for time shifting. I suspect there will be a significant proportion who have installed them to cover the possibly rolling power cuts that "may" happen this winter - and do the "man maths" to justify the cost. I know of at least two households getting batteries and inverter without PV for exactly that reason.
Stig

Post by Stig »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 am If a million UK homes were to install batteries, and were each to charge those batteries overnight at 3kW for 4 hours, then that would increase grid demand overnight by about 3GW for that 4 hour period, and reduce daytime demand by perhaps 0.6GW for the remaining 20 hours.
But they could reduce the evening peak by 3GW over 4 hours, that could ease the load on the grid and avoid using (presumably less efficient) peaking generation.

I agree that EVs will likely have more impact, is it my imagination or was average electricity consumption higher this summer than last?