Dont buy a tesla, serious fault they fail to recognise happened again.

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Oldgreybeard

Re: Dont buy a tesla, serious fault they fail to recognise happened again.

Post by Oldgreybeard »

marshman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm £20,000? I would want to be paid more much more than that to have a Tesla, or any modern technobox ;)
There are very real issues with the way car tech is going, for sure. Even our little EV is effectively brain dead here, as without a mobile signal none of the smart stuff works at all. I'm just thankful that it does at least still have a fob so we can unlock it and turn it on, as if it relied on a phone for that as well it would just be a lump of metal, plastic and rubber sat on the drive.

It keeps pestering us about updates whenever we drive somewhere with a signal, but only does these when parked and I'm blowed if I'm going to drive somewhere to get a signal and then hang around for however long it takes to upload and sort itself out. The app may as well not exist for all the use it is, why on earth they couldn't make the thing work over WiFi I don't know, maybe they assumed that no one living in a rural area would want to buy one.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Fanboi intervention time! :D

2018 Model S here, just about to turn 80K miles and could not be happier, best car of previous 57 I have ever owned!

Phantom braking is a known issue with the cruise on. Without it on I would be concerned.

We have the Samsung T7 Portable SSD 500GB and on returning to the car I can guarantee having footage to watch, even if only the cat walking past! Did take a couple of goes to get it formatted. Do you have no footage of any incidents?
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Sorry to hear of your negative experiences with your Tesla. I guess when any product is made 1 million times there will be variations. My own experience of my TM3 has been completely different. As has my experience of Tesla service, which has been really good for the few times I've needed it. I know that doesn't help you personally as that's just 2x n=1 examples.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I'm a bit curious as to why so many Tesla owners often seem to refer to the service from Tesla being good.

I owned a several Toyota's over a period of around 14 years, have owned our little EV for three years and in all that time have never once had need to get anything fixed in any of the cars, so I've no idea what their service is like. My only contact with garages has been when buying cars or getting them serviced or safety checked each year, and every time that's just been a dealership, I've not once had anything go wrong with any of the cars (touch wood) and haven't ever needed to contact a manufacturer.

Why do Tesla owners seem to need Tesla service after they have bought their cars? Is it because of things that go wrong?
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

OK here's the sum total of my contact with Tesla service in 3 years.

1 - 9 months into ownership, left rear light cluster fogged up so needed replacing. This was done with a Tesla Ranger who came and replaced it at home.

2. 18 months into ownership - I hit a bird whilst driving and the impact knocked out one of the ultrasound sensors. Had to take the car to Tesla Park Royal (4 miles away) and it was fixed overnight. Given a Tesla Model X as a courtesy car.

3. 2.5 years into ownership - same said ultrasound sensor fell out after giving it a jet wash. Took it to Tesla Guildford who repaired it whilst I waited. They used more glue!

Really can't fault that.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

I've had one service which was a surprise free inspection whilst charging at a Supercharger and given a free cup, pen and lanyard. :D

Car was only 2 weeks old so was quite funny watching them measure the trye tread depths. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

dan_b wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:16 am OK here's the sum total of my contact with Tesla service in 3 years.

1 - 9 months into ownership, left rear light cluster fogged up so needed replacing. This was done with a Tesla Ranger who came and replaced it at home.

2. 18 months into ownership - I hit a bird whilst driving and the impact knocked out one of the ultrasound sensors. Had to take the car to Tesla Park Royal (4 miles away) and it was fixed overnight. Given a Tesla Model X as a courtesy car.

3. 2.5 years into ownership - same said ultrasound sensor fell out after giving it a jet wash. Took it to Tesla Guildford who repaired it whilst I waited. They used more glue!

Really can't fault that.
So essentially one manufacturing fault (presumably) with the rear light. Not sure how that compares with my experience of owning 5 new cars, from two different manufacturers, over a period of 17 years with zero faults, though.

I was never in the market for a Tesla, just far too big for our needs; we need a small hatchback and Tesla don't make one, nothing other than that. However, when I was looking through EV reviews before choosing our car I did notice what seemed to be a very large number of Tesla owners almost fanatically defending their cars whilst still reporting what seemed to be a very high number of manufacturing related problems, from paint quality issues to leaks from badly fitted glass and leaking rear lights. None I read about seemed that major, but it seemed to me, as someone looking on from outside, that quality control wasn't as good as some other manufacturers.

It could be that I've just been lucky over the years, but none of the half a dozen new cars I've ever bought in my life has had even a minor issue that's needed attention from the dealer after collection. I think the closest I ever came to having a problem was picking up a new car about 20 years ago and noticing (before driving it away) that there was a plastic bag of wheel trim parts in the boot that hadn't been fitted by the dealer during the pre-delivery inspection (they apologised profusely and fitted them while I waited).
Last edited by Oldgreybeard on Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

The biggest thing beyond the software glitch is the incompetence of the people employed to follow customer service script rather than think for themsekves, you know how 5 year old kids are in awe of party magicians? ..it is that degree of does not compute, no logical thought, lots of "fillers" taking calls (45 min wait to answer) & not enough professionals.

fault with recording = no recording & therefore no time stamp at a basic level, no harder to understand than "when the clear glass door is open I can physically walk through it, but when it is not I can't ...& thats what they cannot get their head around ..ergo what use are they!?

Considering all calls are recorded (for improvement) they don't listen back, nor write on a pad & transcribe or they'd be more attuned to the above analogy

You have to call to "try" & get a loan vehicle (the app does not allow for this)
You then, having gone through all the detail of the problem on the phone, at length & time have to go to your tiny phone fill in details in a dark box all over again (rinse & repeat) as none of that phonecall is added on....

Then you get a message on your phone app " more detail on is needed"
Same problem, look in the database... ongoing unresolved issue.

& some useless haughty bitch cancels both your appointment ( up to 2 hours on the phone by end of call) & the potential loan car (which has disappeared when you get closer to your date of investigaton + the Saturday spent driving 95 miles for tesla to say there is nothing we can do! (the reply to date)

& no-one says, this is dumb, this is wrong, wasting time & costing everyone, shall we push it up the ladder? ..no, we dont have the acumen nor the balls to say this is an unusual & interesting anomaly that needs more than a tick box exercise.

In summary, that's not service that is just "shit" & close your eyes. & it will go away cowardice in order not to rock the boat & learn a new way ofgetting the techno-monkey off your back ready for next time!

It must be really crap succubus type yes men management at tesla uk.

Akin to a withered limb.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

We had a mobile engineer come out and replace the camera on the front left wing, as it was dropping out every so often. No other issues with the TM3, nor TiMmY who replaced it.

But lots of improvements since we got them, my favourite being the update to the charging so that you can choose the Amps, 5-10A on the granny charger and 5-32A on the main charger. This means we can better match it to PV generation.

Loads of other updates (one is running now as it happens), constantly polishing and refining, but I'm a bit boring and simple so they don't interest me too much.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Lads, when you keep, repeatedly taking physical damge to your car or person it's a different matter.
The insurance is lower than an equivalent type of price range on a variety of things,but doubtless in part the ability of the cameras to be used formulti angle assessment when crashes / damafe occurs, ..what is it without!? ..which is what ours is, takes it all back to your word against theirs for a claim.

All repairs you will have to foot the bill for(& have your honesty in doubt in absence of footage the vehicle is supposed to be so good at getting)

As per the police (who dont want to do their job either) " no footage no investigation, + no crime committed"

You order a meal & you get breadsticks plus a bill for your ordered meal? .be grateful & dont question us!?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more