Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:55 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:42 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:32 pm Tomorrow will be a dead heat. ;)

Joking aside, I truly do hope you and others in the area will be ok with regards the rain. Even the rain down here over the past couple of weeks has been pretty bad.
My forecast has GF at 13mph at midday with KH at 17.4mph peaking at 23mph at 6pm tomorrow. Sadly its virtual but man is it moving!
I have GF winning up to midday and KH winning in the second half of the day, but as we both have both investments its a moot point.

I am hoping project 3 is an East Anglia or Cornwall project so we have an English one too. Cornwall would probably have a better capacity factor, but East Anglia would be better for generation diversity.
We are taking about PV then for P3 due to the latest ban on new onshore WT's in England? Absolute madness that decision..
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:58 pm We are taking about PV then for P3 due to the latest ban on new onshore WT's in England? Absolute madness that decision..
I'm not convinced they are actually banned because they have been allegedly banned for years but we still got WT1 and WT2 built but without any CFD support. It would have been a travesty if they ended up being subject to windfall taxes after standing on their own feet.

The problem I see is most projects are going to have been snapped up by other commercial entities or may be significantly more expensive due to the current energy prices.

You can also imagine other European countries snapping up all supply chain bandwidth with regards to wind turbines to displace as much gas generation as possible. Maybe WT2 made it just in time before it was too late.

Then again all the windfall taxes across Europe might scare off enough companies for there to still be some opportunities.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
smegal

Post by smegal »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:26 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:58 pm We are taking about PV then for P3 due to the latest ban on new onshore WT's in England? Absolute madness that decision..
I'm not convinced they are actually banned because they have been allegedly banned for years but we still got WT1 and WT2 built but without any CFD support. It would have been a travesty if they ended up being subject to windfall taxes after standing on their own feet.
They aren't banned, but getting planning is so difficult, they may as well be.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

smegal wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:05 pm
Well, I hope I am incorrect in this with fingers very much crossed. I need a new badge for my mod Parker. :D
Maybe a WT site up in the Dales? Or a South coast PV farm, hopefully know within the next 6 weeks.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
smegal

Post by smegal »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:52 am
smegal wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:05 pm

Well, I hope I am incorrect in this with fingers very much crossed. I need a new badge for my mod Parker. :D
Maybe a WT site up in the Dales? Or a South coast PV farm, hopefully know within the next 6 weeks.
I'm hopefully going to invest in the 3rd one, so I'm excitedly watching.
Last edited by smegal on Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Some local authorities have what amounts to a wind turbine ban. It's a standard planning consent condition here, it seems. There's a condition on my planning consent stating that a wind turbine cannot be erected and when I joked about it with the planning officer (we're at the bottom of a deep wooded valley so the clause is just daft) he told me that it was a standard condition on all planning approvals here.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I sympathise with Ripple, try to build a business from solid foundations and the plotical landscape is in such flux.

I'm sure they have had fallback plans in place to shift site if need be. If they can't get a PV farm going in England they should put up another turbine set in Scotland. Play to the regional strengths. A shame they didn't get in with a winner for the offshore WT licenses.....

25mph winds up here, Internet land connection is down but power is fine. My 1 week local forecast has rain for a solid week. The last big Aberdeenshire floods kicked off after 5 days of steady downpour. This isnt that though, easing up a little as I type.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:55 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:42 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:32 pm Tomorrow will be a dead heat. ;)

Joking aside, I truly do hope you and others in the area will be ok with regards the rain. Even the rain down here over the past couple of weeks has been pretty bad.
My forecast has GF at 13mph at midday with KH at 17.4mph peaking at 23mph at 6pm tomorrow. Sadly its virtual but man is it moving!
I have GF winning up to midday and KH winning in the second half of the day, but as we both have both investments its a moot point.

I am hoping project 3 is an East Anglia or Cornwall project so we have an English one too. Cornwall would probably have a better capacity factor, but East Anglia would be better for generation diversity.
Good point Nowty, there's several wind farms off of the coast here and the winds been blowing a good un all week. Checking capacity factors then of the four listed Gunfleet sands achieved 33.2%, Greater Gabbard 37.3%, East Anglia One 43.4% with Galloper topping out at 45.2%.
Onshore turbines are few and far between,but the one at Ness Point, Lowestoft built in 2006 was at the time the country's largest at 2.75 MW's and known locally as Gulliver. I've been unable to discover what capacity factor has subsequently been achieved. :(
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 am I sympathise with Ripple, try to build a business from solid foundations and the plotical landscape is in such flux.

I'm sure they have had fallback plans in place to shift site if need be. If they can't get a PV farm going in England they should put up another turbine set in Scotland. Play to the regional strengths. A shame they didn't get in with a winner for the offshore WT licenses.....

25mph winds up here, Internet land connection is down but power is fine. My 1 week local forecast has rain for a solid week. The last big Aberdeenshire floods kicked off after 5 days of steady downpour. This isnt that though, easing up a little as I type.
Power off here so running on diesel power meantime!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:39 am Power off here so running on diesel power meantime!
Is that your Mr Lister ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3