Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:00 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:32 pm
We also had a leak! Insurance job, upstairs ensuite shower waste coupling had backed off works start Monday. :shock:

That's a bit of a bummer, though a chance to uprate any insulation if required.
Thanks Iain, it looks a lot worse that it is. Left it to dry while we were in Turkey, just pulled it down yesterday a simple fix which was easily rectified with good access. It's very tight now! :lol: you got your power back on ok?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Fintray wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:00 pm That's a bit of a bummer, though a chance to uprate any insulation if required.
don't you want the downstairs heat to leak upwards and help the room upstairs? When we designed our heating I am sure one of the factors used was heat conducted up from the room below.
I wondered whether the insulated ceiling might pre-date the upstairs room/ en suite...
With Joeboy being away until recently, did the house get colder than usual, cause a plastic pipe to shrink and pull the joint apart? I am always very conscious of the high thermal expansion (and contraction) of plastics.
A
p.s. just seen Jb's reply, so not caused by a cold house...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:13 pm don't you want the downstairs heat to leak upwards and help the room upstairs? When we designed our heating I am sure one of the factors used was heat conducted up from the room below.
I wondered whether the insulated ceiling might pre-date the upstairs room/ en suite...
With Joeboy being away until recently, did the house get colder than usual, cause a plastic pipe to shrink and pull the joint apart? I am always very conscious of the high thermal expansion (and contraction) of plastics.
A
p.s. just seen Jb's reply, so not caused by a cold house...
Interestingly, building regs mandate sound insulation under floors between storeys, which also means putting thermal insulation in there in reality. I had to fit 200mm of acoustic insulation in the ground floor ceilings, packed tight between the joists, with a decoupling layer isolating the floor above from the joists. The acoustic insulation had pretty much the same U value as thermal insulation, so very little heat travels through to the bedrooms from the rooms below. I'm glad I had to do this, though, as my wife tends to go to bed an hour or so before me, and it means that she can't here the TV from the room below our bedroom.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That space you see is a part of the cold air side of the remainder loft. The loft conversion.upstairs is its own insulated pod sitting in a cold air loft. The insulation in this triple extended home is I guess a compromise of times and build regs thru the decades. I did add a lot over the years beyond the build regs but stopped at a known point (kind of) as I didn't want to risk impeding fresh air flow removing whicked moisture.

If I ever find that plot and craick on it will be a different game entirely. :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:34 pm If I ever find that plot and craick on it will be a different game entirely. :twisted:
If you do (and it took me two years of hard slog to find our plot) then be prepared for an absolutely ball aching job in doing a self-build. I'd researched self-build and passive house principles for over a decade before we found a plot and committed to building this house. The build damned near killed me, not from the physical work involved at all, but from the stress of having committed every penny we had to building the house, and knowing that it just had to get built.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:10 pm Thanks Iain, it looks a lot worse that it is. Left it to dry while we were in Turkey, just pulled it down yesterday a simple fix which was easily rectified with good access. It's very tight now! :lol: you got your power back on ok?
Power came back on at 14:30 so only 5.5hrs it was off and not a problem with having the Lister to run the house, that 4 days without power after storm Arwen was more than enough and not to be repeated.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:46 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:34 pm If I ever find that plot and craick on it will be a different game entirely. :twisted:
If you do (and it took me two years of hard slog to find our plot) then be prepared for an absolutely ball aching job in doing a self-build. I'd researched self-build and passive house principles for over a decade before we found a plot and committed to building this house. The build damned near killed me, not from the physical work involved at all, but from the stress of having committed every penny we had to building the house, and knowing that it just had to get built.
Despite the stress of the build, it does sound if it was worth it to have the house just as you wanted it.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Fintray wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:58 pm Despite the stress of the build, it does sound if it was worth it to have the house just as you wanted it.
I think it was, on balance, worth it, but I'm not the same person I was when we started this ten years ago. I'm now far less of a risk taker than I always used to be, and I believe that's entirely due to the stresses involved in the build. The big problem was that I was doing something that was alien to the vast majority of building tradespeople. The main consequence of this was that I had to learn to do things myself, as I just couldn't trust anyone else to do work without compromising the airtightness and overall integrity of the house. Taking responsibility for all the systems in the house, when I just didn't have anywhere near the experience required (I was at best a reasonably OK DIY'er when this started) took its toll, as I constantly worried about whether work I'd done was OK and safe.
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:32 pm
Adokforme wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:17 pm
When I worked on deck in North Sea, my Winter wear was boxers, two pairs insulated socks, top and bottom helly hansen thermal underwear, t-shirt, sweatshirt, thermal lumberjack shirt, thermal coveralls, jeans and waterproof jacket & trousers. Hard hat had a wool kepi too and a thermal skullcap . Needed about 5,000 calories per day. January on deck in the North sea is quite a serious environment!
Don't envy you those conditions Joe, I hate the cold. Just spent the morning outside assisting with linking up fourth battery then getting wheelbarrow and gear together for gleaning Savoys tomorrow pm. I was feeling pretty chilli by the time I got back in, and it's a balmy 8 degrees C here!
Put the ashp on to get the lounge toasty for the afternoon and evening.
Discovered a leaking joint into the cistern in the garage so mustn't get too comfortable. Turned the water off for now, so must get back out again and sort afore settling in for the evening.
I know, us softy southerners don't know we're born do we! :D
We also had a leak! Insurance job, upstairs ensuite shower waste coupling had backed off works start Monday. :shock:

Whoa! that was serious, don't envy you that either, so credit for taking it all in your stride.
Thank goodness we're in a bungalow, :D Mind you, we may not have an ensuite waste to worry about, but all the main feed and DHW pipes are up there so all higher pressure stuff. :o
Think I've got ours sorted, it was the cold feed to cistern so a plastic to metal fitting situation. I daren't overtighten those so stripped apart, cleaned up and applied a sealant to appropriate items. All very straight forward really. Mind you I've left a plastic tub underneath to catch any future drips should it go again. If it hadn't been for installing the battery I probably wouldn't have come across it for weeks or even months, so glad it went in today. :D
nowty

Post by nowty »

By the end of today's poor show, the capacity factor of WT1 will have dropped to 42% which is smack on baseline for November. But looks like a full solid week of decent generation coming, maybe not full tilt but should keep us nicely above baseline. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3