Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Oldgreybeard

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 am We are cracking through just under 700kWh per week to run it all and stay off gas.
Ye Gods!

700kWh is about what we use for the worst month of the year, when it's fairly cold. The plot below is our monthly grid electricity usage so far this year and this includes charging the car. So far this month we seem to be averaging around 60kWh to 70kWh per week, and our ~1,400ft² house is all-electric, no other fuels:

2022 electricity usage.jpg
2022 electricity usage.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:12 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 am We are cracking through just under 700kWh per week to run it all and stay off gas.
Ye Gods!

700kWh is about what we use for the worst month of the year, when it's fairly cold. The plot below is our monthly grid electricity usage so far this year and this includes charging the car. So far this month we seem to be averaging around 60kWh to 70kWh per week, and our house is all-electric, no other fuels:

2022 electricity usage.jpg
'Each has their own set of circumstances, what doesn't work for you.....'
:D
Once upon a time we used 32,000kWh of gas per year, that has been reduced by 99.645% ;) (Approximately). The house is 2,500 Sq ft or so, doing about 1,000miles per month. All 2 stroke engines removed from the space, Nonetheless... :lol: Ah well, the price of all this beauty this far North. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Must be on about the landscape? ..not your grizzled self there joe!? (I hope) 😉
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
marshman

Post by marshman »

It is impossible to really compare usage between households, location, occupancy, age/lifestyle etc. all have a massive effect. Some are way up t'north where, so "they" tell us it is colder and the days are shorter at this time of year ;) Some live down south , longer days and supposedly warmer

Personally I think when monthly consumption figures are "published" EV's should be quoted separately as they can be a massive proportion of consumption and can distort the figures a lot. Also maybe house consumption would be better expressed in kWh/m2.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I agree that we will all have different circumstances, but there are some universal factors, like insulation and airtightness being massively more significant than the energy sources used, in terms of environmental impact.

House size is defined as the net internal floor area usually, so a house that has a 500ft² footprint and two floors of the same area would be 1,000ft², or 1,500ft² if it had three floors of the same area as the footprint. UK houses tend to be smaller than some in other countries, the list below gives some averages for the UK:

Average size of 1 or 2 bedroom flats and apartments = 656ft²

Average size of 1 or 2 terraced houses = 688ft²

Average size of 1 or 2 bedroom bungalows = 828ft²

Average size of 3 bedroom semi-detached houses = 1,033ft²

Average size of 2 or 3 bedroom terraced houses = 1,057ft²

Average size of 4 bedroom detached houses = 1,582ft²
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:10 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:07 am If you can up your electricity use you can go in for Proj 3?
but that still has to be electricity from the grid... at 36p a unit, a bit of an own goal when the ripple rate is around 9.6!
A
Each has their own set of circumstances, what doesn't work for you.....
but surely the principle still applies. Has anyone got a deal which costs them less or the same for electricity as Ripple pays? If not, then using more electricity and relying on Ripple is just a bit of damage limitation.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:10 am
but that still has to be electricity from the grid... at 36p a unit, a bit of an own goal when the ripple rate is around 9.6!
A
Each has their own set of circumstances, what doesn't work for you.....
but surely the principle still applies. Has anyone got a deal which costs them less or the same for electricity as Ripple pays? If not, then using more electricity and relying on Ripple is just a bit of damage limitation.
Yep, my average import is under 9p / kWh and thats including standing charge. And includes all gas thrown in on top.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 am but surely the principle still applies. Has anyone got a deal which costs them less or the same for electricity as Ripple pays? If not, then using more electricity and relying on Ripple is just a bit of damage limitation.
Without wishing to be in any way contentious I agree. I'm not 100% convinced that just switching fuels makes that big a difference in the overall scheme of things and may well be significantly worse for the environment.

For example, decent gas boilers tend to run at around 75% to 80% real world efficiency, gas power stations run at around 50% efficiency (source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/548 ... ations-uk/ ), so in basic terms it's better to burn gas for heating than burn gas for power. Although not a wholly fair comparison, it's close, as additional electricity generation tends to usually come from gas, so if the grid demand increases, say from consumers switching from gas heating to electric heating, it is usually gas generation that gets ramped up first.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:29 am but surely the principle still applies. Has anyone got a deal which costs them less or the same for electricity as Ripple pays? If not, then using more electricity and relying on Ripple is just a bit of damage limitation.
Without wishing to be in any way contentious I agree. I'm not 100% convinced that just switching fuels makes that big a difference in the overall scheme of things and may well be significantly worse for the environment.

For example, decent gas boilers tend to run at around 75% to 80% real world efficiency, gas power stations run at around 50% efficiency (source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/548 ... ations-uk/ ), so in basic terms it's better to burn gas for heating than burn gas for power. Although not a wholly fair comparison, it's close, as additional electricity generation tends to usually come from gas, so if the grid demand increases, say from consumers switching from gas heating to electric heating, it is usually gas generation that gets ramped up first.
For global warming issues, it depends on the carbon intensity of the grid at any one time. Typically if the grid is less than 220g / kWh then its better using leccy even in a resistance heater than burning gas. If using a heatpump its pretty much better all the time compared with gas.

Current carbon intensity is shown here,
https://carbonintensity.org.uk/

There is a paper on it, I'll try and dig it out if I can find it.

Then there are massive regional variations, in Joeboy land its nearly always very low carbon but here on the south coast its nearly always much higher carbon.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The question I would ask is: "What would happen if everyone switched from gas to electricity this winter?"

My gut feeling is that the carbon intensity of the entire UK grid would rise significantly, as gas, coal and biomass generation went into overdrive to try and keep up with demand.