HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by dan_b »

GarethC wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 pm Thanks Dan always enjoy these. Think more will appear as yet unplanned? Feels like we will need even more interconnectors.
I've not yet gone near the X-Link proposal to Morocco in these updates, but I suppose that is the big one from left field and perhaps I should add it to the list- a 3.6GW set of 3800km HVDC interconnectors linked to a 10GW solar and wind farm with 20GWh of battery storage to provide 24/7 transmission.

Although I'm highly sceptical that it'll get built.
16billion in construction cost - half of which is the cabling.
Even with HVDC, transmission losses will be in the order of 15%

China has a 3400km HVDC transmission line running cross-country. It operates at 1.1million volts and has a transmission capacity of 12GW.
This is longer, and up to 700m below the sea.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

I think that's a sensible decision Dan. It's such a monster scheme it's hard to believe it will happen, but if it does, what a beauty.

Not trying to be difficult here, but a thought has ocurred to me. I'm wondering if that's an interconnector in the same sense as we are discussing? As it's a one way, almost constant power supply, then it seems to me to be more akin, to say an offshore wind farm, just with a near 100%cf. So more of a constant power, power station, just located a rather long way away. :?:

First weird thought of the day for me!
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

That's a good point. It's really "just" a far away power station with a private wire. I've seen nothing to suggest that UK power would flow in the other direction, or that the power generated at the renewable park would go anywhere else.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

dan_b wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:42 am
GarethC wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 pm Thanks Dan always enjoy these. Think more will appear as yet unplanned? Feels like we will need even more interconnectors.
I've not yet gone near the X-Link proposal to Morocco in these updates, but I suppose that is the big one from left field and perhaps I should add it to the list- a 3.6GW set of 3800km HVDC interconnectors linked to a 10GW solar and wind farm with 20GWh of battery storage to provide 24/7 transmission.

Although I'm highly sceptical that it'll get built.
16billion in construction cost - half of which is the cabling.
Even with HVDC, transmission losses will be in the order of 15%

China has a 3400km HVDC transmission line running cross-country. It operates at 1.1million volts and has a transmission capacity of 12GW.
This is longer, and up to 700m below the sea.
I suppose compared to Sizewell C at 20 Billion and similar output, it’s a reasonable proposal. Energy security issues exist with both projects.

Perhaps the Morocco project would be delivered far quicker than Sizewell too ?
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:38 pm I suppose compared to Sizewell C at 20 Billion and similar output, it’s a reasonable proposal. Energy security issues exist with both projects.

Perhaps the Morocco project would be delivered far quicker than Sizewell too ?
Slightly off topic, but I am starting to have grave concerns about big, new, generation or transmission projects, as a consequence of what has been happening in Ukraine. It seems far too easy for big interconnectors or power stations to be knocked off line, leaving millions without power.

I can't help thinking that lots of smaller generators, well distributed around the country, might make for better energy security. The Rolls Royce SMR concept seems a sound one, given that we are likely to need baseload generation for a few decades to come. I've often thought it would be nice to have one of the portable nuclear generators we had at Harwell, when I first started work. They were completely sealed steel finned things that would output around 50W to 100W (IIRC) for many decades. Be neat to have one as a home battery trickle charger, although I dare say the H&S mafia might not approve. I think these things used Sr90 as the heat source, with the heat just coming from normal radioactive decay.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:31 pm I've often thought it would be nice to have one of the portable nuclear generators we had at Harwell, when I first started work. They were completely sealed steel finned things that would output around 50W to 100W (IIRC) for many decades. Be neat to have one as a home battery trickle charger, although I dare say the H&S mafia might not approve. I think these things used Sr90 as the heat source, with the heat just coming from normal radioactive decay.
I want one !

Hoping in the future for a similar output from a home fuel cell using something like ethanol or hydrogen.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:31 pm I've often thought it would be nice to have one of the portable nuclear generators we had at Harwell, when I first started work. They were completely sealed steel finned things that would output around 50W to 100W (IIRC) for many decades. Be neat to have one as a home battery trickle charger, although I dare say the H&S mafia might not approve. I think these things used Sr90 as the heat source, with the heat just coming from normal radioactive decay.
I want one !

Hoping in the future for a similar output from a home fuel cell using something like ethanol or hydrogen.
I think there are loads of them stored as waste, plus lots of old Russian ones that they used in lighthouses just lying around, like these ones:

25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

RTGs are used on some spacecraft which operate in deep space where solar power isn't going to be sufficient.
But I'm not sure they're related to HVDCs!
smegal

Post by smegal »

dan_b wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:56 pm Small Viking Link Construction update

25% of the UK-Denmark cable has now been laid, and construction is about to commence on the two HVDC converter stations in Bicker Fen and Revsing. Start date now firmed up a little from "Q4 2023" to December 2023
It's moving along

https://www.balfourbeatty.com/news/balf ... entId=1212

successfully delivers final land cable pull on the Viking Link electricity interconnector project

05 December 2022

Balfour Beatty has laid the final piece of UK land cable for National Grid’s new Viking Link electricity interconnector.
Work is a key milestone for the project which will stretch 470 miles to join Lincolnshire with Denmark.
Cable will now be joined to the sea cable which will ultimately link the UK with Denmark
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Small update.

AQUIND may not yet be totally dead - the developers have had a Judicial Review Hearing at the High Court of then Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng's decision to kill the AQUIND Interconnector.

This has upset the good folk of Portsmouth as they seem to be quite opposed to the whole scheme.

We'll see what Mrs Justice Lieven has to say in due course.