Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Tonight's WBS stove cooked meal is chilli con and 10 hour cold soaked rice which will be finished on the WBS. Got my new trivets for hot kettles & pans. SWMBO gave me Snoppy mitts as my Xmas! The chilli pot doubles up as an induction pot so two angles covered. Batch cooking my standard arrabiata sauce this afternoon too. :D

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I like the IKEA pot! I have similar!

Do you put Chorizo in the arrabiata sauce?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Looks good JB, you definitely need a wider hearth with edges to stop those stray embers though!

Same fan as we have - ours has been going strong for over ten years !

We bought some silicone oven gloves as we had a scolding incident last year, they are brilliant, used for the oven and the air fryer in the main though i sometimes use them to mold HDPE that's been softened on the old electric hob - hope she doesn't read this thread or I am one dead duck! :roll:

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:25 pm I like the IKEA pot! I have similar!

Do you put Chorizo in the arrabiata sauce?
Great pot taste! I don't tend to use Chorizio as it can be a bit dominant. Today it's bacon and pork loin.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

BTB, you process your own logs? I ask as I collect the woodshavings from my processing, bag em. Leave a year to dry then.pack them down tight into paperbags. One of those paperbags will burn for a full hour and the fire loves it. Can hear it heat up and it's very cool to watch the surface of the woodshavings ablate. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:16 pm BTB, you process your own logs? I ask as I collect the woodshavings from my processing, bag em. Leave a year to dry then.pack them down tight into paperbags. One of those paperbags will burn for a full hour and the fire loves it. Can hear it heat up and it's very cool to watch the surface of the woodshavings ablate. :twisted:

Seen this video of a home made machine for making briquettes from sawdust (he's an impressively good craftsman, too):

25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:19 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:16 pm BTB, you process your own logs? I ask as I collect the woodshavings from my processing, bag em. Leave a year to dry then.pack them down tight into paperbags. One of those paperbags will burn for a full hour and the fire loves it. Can hear it heat up and it's very cool to watch the surface of the woodshavings ablate. :twisted:

Seen this video of a home made machine for making briquettes from sawdust (he's an impressively good craftsman, too):

That's a good idea, I'll have a look. Been VERY surprised at the heat output and longevity of burn with the bags.

281degs on centre of WBS front(not glass).
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Looks like you are having a pleasant day there JB,

Have to admit to a very good day here in sunny(ish) North Wales, battery taking a small charge although tumble dryer is on at the minute, but best bit of today has been the clean dispatch of 3 brown rats in the chicken run - all snaffling corn. Thats an all-time best day for me and the air arms mistral.

WBS will be lit around 6 tonight as the cottage is still at 19 degrees downstairs despite it being 4 degrees outside this morning.

Also forgot to mention previously that we invested in one of those far infra-red panels (150W) for the boys bedroom, its on a smart plug and is scheduled for 6 of 15 minute bursts through the night, its a niffty bit of kit, akin to standing in weak spring sunshine, you feel it several meters away as a gentle warmth and as its silent its brilliant for keeping the boys comfy through the night.

Great for instant heat and to be recommended.
Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:42 pm Looks like you are having a pleasant day there JB,

Have to admit to a very good day here in sunny(ish) North Wales, battery taking a small charge although tumble dryer is on at the minute, but best bit of today has been the clean dispatch of 3 brown rats in the chicken run - all snaffling corn. Thats an all-time best day for me and the air arms mistral.

WBS will be lit around 6 tonight as the cottage is still at 19 degrees downstairs despite it being 4 degrees outside this morning.

Also forgot to mention previously that we invested in one of those far infra-red panels (150W) for the boys bedroom, its on a smart plug and is scheduled for 6 of 15 minute bursts through the night, its a niffty bit of kit, akin to standing in weak spring sunshine, you feel it several meters away as a gentle warmth and as its silent its brilliant for keeping the boys comfy through the night.

Great for instant heat and to be recommended.
Moxi
That's great to know, rats & IR panel. Will keep a look out.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ha ha neither was worth a new thread so I thought I would highjack your feel-good pages with it, hope you don't mind :D

Moxi aka Ratty :twisted: