Self build in Lincolnshire…..

Lincs Robert

Re: Self build in Lincolnshire…..

Post by Lincs Robert »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 pm
Lincs Robert wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:16 pm And typically I can’t find the lugs supplied with the unit. The manual describes them as M6, so I’m assuming a M6 lug with a 6mm hole? I’m torn between buying the £10 crimp tool you hit with a hammer, or a £27 ish hydraulic crimper which seems a lot more elegant for just a little extra.
Rob
The terminal size needed is for 25 sq mm cable with an M6 (6mm) hole. The switch fuse uses 25 sq mm M8 (8mm) terminals IIRC (I can go and check in the morning).

The hydraulic crimp tool is one heck of a lot better and more reliable to use than the hammer type, as it will form a proper hex shaped crimp all around the cable. I have had one of the cheap Chinese made hydraulic crimp tools for many years now, it's never missed a beat.
Thanks - I’ve downloaded the spec on the switch/fuse & its M8 as you say. I’ve just ordered the hydraulic crimper as well - the hammer one looks ok - but I’d probably do myself a mischief using it! 🤪
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Good to know that my ageing memory cells still seem to be OK at remembering things like terminal eye sizes!
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:27 pm Good to know that my ageing memory cells still seem to be OK at remembering things like terminal eye sizes!
Ha ha, I’m with you on that one. I can remember config information on equipment I worked on 40+ years ago, but ask me what I had for breakfast & I’d struggle to remember……..
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Ok, so here’s the update after a couple of weeks radio silence.

4 of my 10 Pylons have now gone - thus funding the purchase of the second Chinese Stack. I’ve asked Colin for a quote and will get that ordered ASAP.

It’s a crazy time of year to have your battery capacity reduced by 40%, but needs must I suppose.

I’ve cleared space for the new stack(s), done my structural woodwork and taken delivery of the Frankenstein DC breaker/fuse. I think I’d better get another one on order pretty sharpish. Active cell equaliser is ordered, and I’ve now got my crimps & hydraulic tool ready & waiting to be put to use. I’ve also constructed the plywood end caps for the banks of 5 cells and collected the threaded studding, wingnuts etc. Would a 3mm thick hardboard spacer suffice for going between cells? I’m assuming that when the cells/spacers/plywood caps are assembled that the wingnuts are then “gently nipped up” tightness wise?

Next steps are to get the 25mm DC cables ordered up and the Frankenstein switches wired in - I can do all that prior to my big deliveries arriving.

Am I right in assuming that the capacity of my target configuration will be 13.44 + 13.44 + (2.4 x 6) = 41.28 kWh. Less a bit I suppose for the Pylon reserve 10%, or a tad less than 40kWh overall. That’s a 17kWh increase in capacity above when I had my 10 Pylons, funded pretty much by the reduction from 10 to 6 Pylons.

Cheers- Rob
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Lincs Robert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:15 pm Ok, so here’s the update after a couple of weeks radio silence.

4 of my 10 Pylons have now gone - thus funding the purchase of the second Chinese Stack. I’ve asked Colin for a quote and will get that ordered ASAP.

It’s a crazy time of year to have your battery capacity reduced by 40%, but needs must I suppose.

I’ve cleared space for the new stack(s), done my structural woodwork and taken delivery of the Frankenstein DC breaker/fuse. I think I’d better get another one on order pretty sharpish. Active cell equaliser is ordered, and I’ve now got my crimps & hydraulic tool ready & waiting to be put to use. I’ve also constructed the plywood end caps for the banks of 5 cells and collected the threaded studding, wingnuts etc. Would a 3mm thick hardboard spacer suffice for going between cells? I’m assuming that when the cells/spacers/plywood caps are assembled that the wingnuts are then “gently nipped up” tightness wise?

Next steps are to get the 25mm DC cables ordered up and the Frankenstein switches wired in - I can do all that prior to my big deliveries arriving.

Am I right in assuming that the capacity of my target configuration will be 13.44 + 13.44 + (2.4 x 6) = 41.28 kWh. Less a bit I suppose for the Pylon reserve 10%, or a tad less than 40kWh overall. That’s a 17kWh increase in capacity above when I had my 10 Pylons, funded pretty much by the reduction from 10 to 6 Pylons.

Cheers- Rob
Well done! I used a black plastic sheet between the cells. Just a builders sheet on a roll that I had in a shed. Isolates them in case. I bought my 25mm2 cables from Ebay. Do you want a link?

I ran my retaining rods up then nipped them up. Although I was doing vertical lifts so needed them as one. If you are building at floor level I think run up handtight then a 1/4 turn would suffice.

Your capacity estimate looks good, exciting times!
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
marshman

Post by marshman »

3mm might be too thick for the spacers to allow the standard connecting straps/links to be used without opening out the holes. Sure I read somewhere a max of 0.5 to 1mm.
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Lincs Robert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:15 pm Ok, so here’s the update after a couple of weeks radio silence.

Cheers- Rob
Well done! I used a black plastic sheet between the cells. Just a builders sheet on a roll that I had in a shed. Isolates them in case. I bought my 25mm2 cables from Ebay. Do you want a link?

I ran my retaining rods up then nipped them up. Although I was doing vertical lifts so needed them as one. If you are building at floor level I think run up handtight then a 1/4 turn would suffice.

Your capacity estimate looks good, exciting times!
Thanks, you put the link in your thread somewhere & I’ve already used them for lugs etc
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

marshman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:47 pm 3mm might be too thick for the spacers to allow the standard connecting straps/links to be used without opening out the holes. Sure I read somewhere a max of 0.5 to 1mm.
Good thinking - thanks
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Lincs Robert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:51 pm
marshman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:47 pm 3mm might be too thick for the spacers to allow the standard connecting straps/links to be used without opening out the holes. Sure I read somewhere a max of 0.5 to 1mm.
Good thinking - thanks
And I’ve just had a rummage around and found something suitable of the correct thickness. I was putting off cutting up the hardboard, I always find it messy stuff to cut anyway. Thanks again for the heads up 👍
nowty

Post by nowty »

Lincs Robert wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:15 pm Am I right in assuming that the capacity of my target configuration will be 13.44 + 13.44 + (2.4 x 6) = 41.28 kWh. Less a bit I suppose for the Pylon reserve 10%, or a tad less than 40kWh overall. That’s a 17kWh increase in capacity above when I had my 10 Pylons, funded pretty much by the reduction from 10 to 6 Pylons.

Cheers- Rob
Sounds correct to me and you've just pushed the secret list to over 3.3MWh of energy storage. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3