More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by Stinsy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:45 am
Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:33 am
Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:49 am I just fitted a 13A fused DP switch next to the indoor unit, spurred off the ring (happened to be a double gang socket right below where I fitted the indoor unit). Makes it easy to isolate the power to work on it, could even pull the fuse out as an extra safety measure. These things need a fused supply anyway, so this seemed the easiest way to do it.
And that is perfectly acceptable in a domestic setting. Imagine a shop/office/factory, the guy working on the outside unit needs to be able to isolate it within eyesight so that he can be confident no one will re-energise it without his knowledge.

If someone wants to fit a rotary isolator next to the external unit at their house, they can. But it isn't "required".
I've locked off supplies many times over the years. Almost all of those lock offs will have been with a bog standard lockable clamp, with a small padlock fitted to it and a warning tag with my name on it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've locked off a rotary isolator, TBH. I've also locked off standard 13A switch fuses a few times, just pull the fuse and stick a cable tie and warning flag through the empty fuse holder. My bag of goodies includes half a dozen standard lock-off clamps that will fit any circuit breaker or RCD etc with a manual operation lever. I would be very surprised if any electrician didn't also have lock-off clamps and understand how to use them for safe isolation, TBH. There has never, ever, been any requirement in the regs for an isolator to be within eyesight at the point of work.
I didn't suggest there was a "requirement" to fit a rotary isolator close to the outside unit of an AC/HP. However you'll be hard-pressed to find a commercial installation without one for the reasons I detailed above.

However for a domestic install I wouldn't (And didn't) bother.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The reason that rotary isolators tend to be fitted to industrial kit that's outside is just convenience when servicing, nothing more. It's much quicker to lock-off next to something on a rooftop or mounted high up a wall, than it is to trek around to the main DB and lock it off there. Almost always still needs to be locked off at source (i.e. the DB) for any major work, though. Often the outdoor isolators are labelled as "service switches" as that's all they really are, as they don't allow things like unit replacement or cable replacement, as when locked that usually locks the lid, so there is no access to the connections. They are fine for HVAC people re-gassing or checking/cleaning the outdoor unit, but that's about all.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
AGT

Post by AGT »

2kw fan heater in location of indoor unit.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AGT wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 pm Image

2kw fan heater in location of indoor unit.
Excellent bit of bodgineering!
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

@AGT, liking the simulation test. :geek:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:42 am

The European way is to have the mains wired to the indoor unit (followed by a mains/signal 4-core to the outdoor), the American way is to have the mains wired to the outdoor unit (followed by a mains/signal 4-core to the indoor). My unit came pre-wired ready for European-style installation but you can wire it the other way around if you like.

Nope, sorry its the other way round, 99% of all split installs i've seen have mains wired to outdoor unit.
I've got a MHI 5kw split unit to fit at my mates house, just need to gather a few more parts and it should be ready to go.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Since I started this thread (about installing a A2A HP), approx half a dozen other members contacted me about the A2A HP I installed, and all have now either publicly or privately informed me of their own successful DIY install, the last one only a few hours ago with a comment of, "super toasty despite the recent drop in outside temperature."

Sometimes I write stuff and wonder if I'm talking to myself, not that it matters as I frequently talk to the cat, but it is nice to know when some others are going against the status quo and realising maybe some of this stuff actually works. And I have to admit myself, I don't really know when I start off a project whether it really will or not work out.

Sometimes I think I must be exaggerating like now when its 4 degrees outside, the lounge is 25 degrees and I'm running the HP's and SWMBO is doing an ironing session upstairs using green distilled water, all off my batteries charged overnight at a price less than the rebate from a wind turbine 150 miles away in December. :shock:

When you read it out loud it sounds almost nonsensical but its true. :mrgreen:
Last edited by nowty on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I love mine.

I bought 2 but have only installed 1 upstairs and really would have liked to have installed the other downstairs but didn't because;

I'm suffering with Long covid and it's got worse, I'm going to be building a new house and demolishing this one and I was limited as to where to install it (low ceilings and WBS).

My only gripe with all this stuff is, that because I wanted to do it (and spent a lot doing it), I can't reap the benefits that others can by being persuaded to do it for financial gain. But that's life!!
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 pm Since I started this thread (about installing a A2A HP), approx half a dozen other members contacted me about the A2A HP I installed, and all have now either publicly or privately informed me of their own successful DIY install, the last one only a few hours ago with a comment of, "super toasty despite the recent drop in outside temperature."

Sometimes I write stuff and wonder if I'm talking to myself, not that it matters as I frequently talk to the cat, but it is nice to know when some others are going against the status quo and realising maybe some of this stuff actually works. And I have to admit myself, I don't really know when I start off a project whether it really will or not work out.

Sometimes I think I must be exaggerating like now when its 4 degrees outside, the lounge is 25 degrees and I'm running the HP's and SWMBO is doing an ironing session upstairs using green distilled water, all off my batteries charged overnight at a price less than the rebate from a wind turbine 150 miles away in December. :shock:

When you read it out loud it sounds almost nonsensical but its true. :mrgreen:
A great read! :D Well done! We float through our days living as we choose to and I have a sense of dislocation sometimes. Had it today, raking up 100's of kilos of leaves for the composters with No1 son, enjoying the air & birdsong. Then it just hit me again. 600W incoming, sausage casserole on WBS1, WT1 kicking out a bit. Life's 👍. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Saw Madness live at the V festival in 2012 along with The Stranglers, Tom Jones, The Human League, Happy Mondays, Noel Gallagher, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, Pixie Lott and Nero. I missed the Proclaimers having got up too late.

Note - Only watched Pixie Lott because she was on before Happy Mondays who I was determined to see and get to the front. Nero was after the Happy Mondays so as we were already at the front, I thought we may as well see them as they headlined at that stage even though I did not know who they were.

The security looked at SWMBO and me and asked us if we really wanted to be there as we were double the average age. Then they told two teenage girls next to us, if it gets too much for you put your hands up and we'll pull you out. 20 mins in they put their hands up. All I can say it was an experience. :lol:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3