1st "Wham-Bam" moment.

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Mr Gus

1st "Wham-Bam" moment.

Post by Mr Gus »

Wife was on the road early when motorbike on the dual carriageway (directly ahead) hit some crud in the road & came off, she forgot to press save at that point but got back to the car quickly (there was a doctor who stopped same time) & managed to save footage in case he needed it later on.

Suffice to say, 15 minutes later she left to see her own patient & was wondering how to transfer, it perhaps needs to be as clever as the rest of the car itself & auto transfer to your Tesla app phone to be pinged to those involved rather than via usb removal from the vehicle. ..mmm, that would be nice Elon.

Brakes worked a treat.
(no, sadly it wasn't in "bing-bong" mode) ..she enjoys driving it too much & forgets about assist.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Re: 1st "Wham-Bam" moment.

Post by Mart »

Wow, that's funny Gus, I also had a Wham Bam Teslacam moment yesterday. I was on a two lane road that's about to merge, I'm in the outside lane as that's where you join it from a roundabout slipway. The vehicle behind me, a driving instructor, moves over to the left lane and drives up to me, but then matches my speed and leaves plenty of room for me to merge with the lane markings, but as I start to merge, the car 'alarms' go off and flash a big red car on my left, as he'd suddenly accelerated alongside my rear panel, into my blindspot at that very moment.

I had to go straight, onto a chevron area, with an artic in the lane on the right that now joins us (from a flyover). The car then pulls up level with me and swerves at me almost touching, but I'm able to brake, and then pull in behind the car. I blast the horn and he does a hard brake check on me (and a couple more small ones for good measure).

I ring the driving school and report the matter, they say they will contact the instructor. The instructor then rings me at home, and says that he drove past me, and then I tried to swerve into him, and he never brake checked me, and that I drove dangerously, pulling back into the left lane cutting up the transit van behind him, causing it to swerve.

I thanked him for his time and then sent footage from the front, rear and nearside b pillar to the man running the driving school.

This morning I had a full apology from the school, agreeing that the instructor had apparently done this deliberately, for no reason to create an incident. That it was not how they should drive and teach, and that he would have to take action over it. I was going to send it to Operation Snap, but didn't want to damage the guys career, or the driving schools reputation (I'm a bit soft like that).

The moral of the story, I think, is don't drive like a prat, especially around vehicles with a boatload of onboard cameras.

Anyone interested in seeing the footage if I can find a way to link to it?
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Love to see it Mart.

& frankly, don't be a soft touch, if he has done this to you (& lied) he's done it to others, thus stick it to him & send people after him, ..god knows what is being taught there.

Not suitable to teach let alone drive with that degree of W--kerdom

You are more forgiving than me.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

you "could" send it to wham bam, it would make a good story piece, & mentioning that the driving school took action gives both you & them a get out clause of responsible behaviour (just not, sadly from their, likely fired instructor).

I presume operation snap is a community police thing?

The dumb thing is most folk know to give a tesla a wide berth (my wife thinks so anyway) due to camera's presence, so the arrogance of this "professional driver" conduct is likely DNGAF attitude, & that has no place on the road, pub, etc.

Dob him.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mart

Post by Mart »

OK Gus, here goes, I'll try to pop the clips on via Dropbox, but the Alpha Geek (Wifey) is busy. Also they had to be copied via phone camera, and snipped down, and then reduced resolution in order to get them to a size I could e-mail to the driving school. If it works, the front cam sets up the scene and shows why I'm in the outside lane, but to be fair most of it is unnecessary till near the end, when it gets squeaky bum time, and then the brake check.

Front cam

Rear Cam

Nearside B pillar cam

Don't think I've done this right, but here goes!

Edit- Sorry Gus, I see that Operation Snap is a Welsh thing, I didn't realise. But you can submit dashcam footage for them to review and take action on for offences, dangerous driving etc..
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Mart, we have Operation Snap in Devon and Cornwall too, so there may be other English police forces using it as well.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It works just fine Mart.

(you are leading in what I'm sure will become common posting matter)

My wife is the techno wizard also. :ugeek:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Forum folk..

Operation snap is limited to Wales, Hampshire & a few other places it seems.
However you can use this link, select your local force of inadequates & forward them the footage.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national ... ty-portal/

We've had 3 incidents in 3 days, 2 near misses.
One of them I think might even have been a relative of mine that i've not seen in years, driving like a prat, being a vet i've no idea if he was on his way to a big animal emergency or just being a prat) ..both were big SUV's "pushing" :roll:

I think I've found a glitch in the tesla cam software though, need to go back out to the car & see if it is attributed to deleting lots of alerts whilst parked "memory catch up" or otherwise.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting footage Mart, that guy is a complete plum! Nice how you moved out of the way to let the Fire Engine through earlier in the sequence too.

I've got some dashcam footage of a motorbike pulling away from a set of lights with a 50m long wheelie. This is in a 20mph zone. Pondering what to do with it at the moment...

By the way you can set the Tesla Dashcam to save the footage when you press the horn.

Also by the way there are some 3rd party apps that allow you to download and sync up all of the footage from the Tesla dashcams outside of the car.
Here's one
https://sentrycam.appspot.com/

But I suspect you probably need to be a bit handy with Adobe Premiere to do it properly!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

Cheers Dan, it was an interesting encounter.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but what I can't understand is why he backs off and leaves me space to merge (merge in turn, as the highway code states), only to accelerate when he's in my blindspot because I'm turning slightly to the left.

Had he continued at the speed he was going, he would have drawn level with me, jumping the queue (not merging in turn) but I would have seen him, thought what a price bexxend and had to safely back off, and gone in behind him.

He basically made sure we would collide, and I'm not 100% sure I'd have spotted it without the Tesla alarms going, and the bright red car appearing on the screen to my rear nearside warning me of the collision, as he tucked himself into my blindspot, then matched my speed again, staying behind my field of vision.

Am I completely crazy to wonder about 'crash for cash'?

Again, please don't think I obsess over every little mistake, or silly bit of driving, it's just that this episode makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.