Battery Storage

JR

Battery Storage

Post by JR »

I have had my 2.5 system in since July 2012. I have lots of low use electric heaters so on a good generating day, I can have some warmth without putting the gas central heating on. I am a very low user of electricity, can use less than 1 unit in the summer per day. I am being really careful now and the most I have used in a day is 1.5.

What I am wondering, would it be worth me having a battery? Would I benefit being such a low user? Also if generated electricity is stored into a battery, does it then not go to the national grid and the fit payment isnt given?

I have spoken to a local company who fixed a fault on my system a few years (they soon found the fault, got it done and were very reasonable) and they have said they didnt think it was worth the outlay of a battery for me to get any real benefit from it. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
nowty

Re: Battery Storage

Post by nowty »

To be honest, your one of the very few who probably wouldn't benefit from a battery if your usage is that low.

To answer your other query, once the battery was full the rest would go to the grid as it seems most of yours currently does.
Last edited by nowty on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

JR wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:41 pm I have had my 2.5 system in since July 2012. I have lots of low use electric heaters so on a good generating day, I can have some warmth without putting the gas central heating on. I am a very low user of electricity, can use less than 1 unit in the summer per day. I am being really careful now and the most I have used in a day is 1.5.

What I am wondering, would it be worth me having a battery? Would I benefit being such a low user? Also if generated electricity is stored into a battery, does it then not go to the national grid and the fit payment isnt given?

I have spoken to a local company who fixed a fault on my system a few years (they soon found the fault, got it done and were very reasonable) and they have said they didnt think it was worth the outlay of a battery for me to get any real benefit from it. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Not sure if it would be worth you having a battery but as for the FIT's question there is no problem with this as you can use all you generate and you will still get paid for it
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
JR

Post by JR »

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

JR,

As others have said, not much use for a battery system BUT don't forget you can get small home appliances that use battery sourced power so if your very low electric consumption is partially down to lighting and you need to replace a light you could opt for a battery unit with PIR sensor so that as you enter a room the light comes on then goes off after you leave, such lights have around 15 hrs of use before a recharge which you can do in the day when you are generating power.

We have a battery powered Vac that replaced the old plug-in vac when it died a few years ago and that gets charged on a good solar day and removes any grid use for hoovering.

I wouldn't advocate rushing out to replace everything with battery powered alternatives, but it could be worth consideration at an item's replacement time perhaps.

Moxi
Stig

Post by Stig »

I'm in a similar situation to JR, I import about 1 unit a day in the summer and 3-4 units a day in the winter as I have quite a bit of winter shading of the panels. I do fancy the idea of a battery system but the only way it would be financially viable is if I moved to a good E7 tariff -and that's a gamble as it's anybody's guess what day/night rates might be over the next few years. Shame, as I'm sure I'd enjoy the nerdy pleasure of minimising peak-rate import as others on here do.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stig wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am I'm in a similar situation to JR, I import about 1 unit a day in the summer and 3-4 units a day in the winter as I have quite a bit of winter shading of the panels. I do fancy the idea of a battery system but the only way it would be financially viable is if I moved to a good E7 tariff -and that's a gamble as it's anybody's guess what day/night rates might be over the next few years. Shame, as I'm sure I'd enjoy the nerdy pleasure of minimising peak-rate import as others on here do.
I have just enquired about economy 7 and whilst Eon are a bit coy about the rates they do want £157 to change the meter.

I am still waiting for the day and night charges per kWh and standing charges but with my grid use at 450kWh it looks unlikely to be worthwhile.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

Octopus are offering me, in the South West, the following,
Flexible ECO7 Not fixed.
Daily charge 51.09p
Day 42.9p unit
Night 14.61p unit.

The unit prices are part of the Gov't price guarantee (in theory).

No mention yet of a charge to change my meter.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The high standing charge is a bit of a kicker. The difference between our E7 standing charge and that standing charge would, using our consumption figures, and allowing for the much lower usage during the summer months, make the off-peak rate equivalent to about 20p/kWh.

It's getting to be hellish difficult comparing tariffs now, especially with PV and batteries, as what looks attractive at first sight may not be when the other costs are factored in and the actual consumption hour by hour at each rate through the whole year is considered.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

These are only rated for a 10 year life use.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20693859/ ... va-russia/

Searched on EBAY. Cant find any thing that would last longer. :o
Any thoughts about a better design / Where the Stuff to make them can be got hold Offfff