Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

Mmmm ! Not quite sure what hats within the spirit of the ‘challenge’ :lol: :lol:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:27 pm Mmmm ! Not quite sure what hats within the spirit of the ‘challenge’ :lol: :lol:
It would be a black stetson surely? :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:27 pm Mmmm ! Not quite sure what hats within the spirit of the ‘challenge’ :lol: :lol:
It would be a black stetson surely? :twisted:
Bleepy autocorrect :evil: You get the idea :lol:
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

No but the trouble is my morso has developed some sort of fault with the air control slide and whatever position it is in it allows some air to enter from under the multifuel grate (and I do not mean the tertiary air holes needed to minimise smouldering), so no matter how much I get a build up of coals it is out by morning.

Else it is a great little stove but what with the air control lever jamming and this under air problem I cannot recommend it.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm
No but the trouble is my morso has developed some sort of fault with the air control slide and whatever position it is in it allows some air to enter from under the multifuel grate (and I do not mean the tertiary air holes needed to minimise smouldering), so no matter how much I get a build up of coals it is out by morning.

Else it is a great little stove but what with the air control lever jamming and this under air problem I cannot recommend it.
Have you had the chance to look at the air control slide as it has some springs on it to keep the sliding plate in close contact with the base of the stove, perhaps one of these has failed and is allowing air in from below.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

That’s a bu99er ! Must increase your usage too - is the air control mechanism accessible ?
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

yes Fintray, it started giving trouble last year and the slide is preloaded with a spring adjusted with a screw and locknut but, Bugtownboy, it needs the stove to be removed and put onto its back. Any tips for setting it welcome but it is not meant for continuous use, like I do, and I think the sheer amount of ash I produce daily at this time of year overwhelms the slide.

As you say this increase air passing, worse it is primary air which I don't want as I only burn very dry wood. As primary air increases power the only control I have is to put small pieces of wood in, one at a time.

I can see the problem as the bright hot char around the grate slots is the giveaway and the problem dissappears if I allow the ash to build up on the grate but that makes de ashing a bit messy compared with pulling the ash pan out.

Apart from burning out the char overnight the associated problem is if I put a large dry log in when the fire is very hot the evolution of pyrolysis gas gets too much for the air supply ans a sooty flame fills the firebox, leading to brownish smoke, when normally none is visible. For reasons for which I have a theory this does not happen if the logs are less well seasoned.

I'm tempted to replace it with a Burley but saving up for a victron multi.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm yes Fintray, it started giving trouble last year and the slide is preloaded with a spring adjusted with a screw and locknut but, Bugtownboy, it needs the stove to be removed and put onto its back. Any tips for setting it welcome but it is not meant for continuous use, like I do, and I think the sheer amount of ash I produce daily at this time of year overwhelms the slide.

I'm tempted to replace it with a Burley but saving up for a victron multi.
Got to admit that I haven't had any problems with ash affecting the slide in over 20 years of use so have never needed to adjust the spring pressure.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugger!
Yet, :D
Stacked out the garage woodstore too.
Even Milliamp Mike the WT is in on the action today!
Never felt this utterly prepared for Winter. It's a nice feeling. :D 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Very festive! :D

We had a few flurries in the Llanberris area and Snowdon and the surrounding mountains have snow on their shoulders but here its still just clear and 6 degrees, I think the proximity to the sea helps to prop the temperature up but its a good 4 degrees colder the next valley over.

Moxi