More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by AGT »

Saw the Proclaimers last Saturday, all the old stuff was good, not so keen on the new stuff, as always the shocking acoustics of the Caird Hall in Dundee didn’t do them justice.

http://www.leisureandculturedundee.com/ ... ll/history
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:59 am Saw Madness live at the V festival in 2012 along with The Stranglers, Tom Jones, The Human League, Happy Mondays, Noel Gallagher, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, Pixie Lott and Nero. I missed the Proclaimers having got up too late.

Note - Only watched Pixie Lott because she was on before Happy Mondays who I was determined to see and get to the front. Nero was after the Happy Mondays so as we were already at the front, I thought we may as well see them as they headlined at that stage even though I did not know who they were.

The security looked at SWMBO and me and asked us if we really wanted to be there as we were double the average age. Then they told two teenage girls next to us, if it gets too much for you put your hands up and we'll pull you out. 20 mins in they put their hands up. All I can say it was an experience. :lol:
That is some band lineup! I love Madness, I come back to them every couple of years and they just get better. 'One better day' is absolutely beautiful.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Well tonight's we are now proper sub zero with ice on the cars outside.

Inside I have been running on the A2A HPs all day and they just continue to pump heat out and my lounge is still 25 degrees. :shock:

I have just checked both inside and outside units with my trusty IR thermometer. Inside unit +50 degrees, outside unit -24 degrees. Still not a hint of any icing on the outside unit. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AGT

Post by AGT »

Awesome, convinced SWMBO to go down the A2A route, but with other projects needing to be completed it might be 9 months away.

Gives me time to source bits and pieces at leisure.

Thanks to everyone who has undertaken projects and shared, it’s inspiring
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

ASHPs usually stop icing up once the outside temperature drops below zero, because there's little or no water in the air to form ice (it will have already condensed out as frost). I monitored this for a time when first setting our main one up, and having icing problems with the default settings. The real risk period for iciing seems to be in the zone where the outside temperature is around 4°C, when any moisture in the air really wants to condense out on any cool surface; it's when you start to see a lot of dew forming outside. Even then icing can be reduced, even eliminated, by just not having the heat pump work too hard.

I found that as long as our ASHP didn't need to work at a Δt of more than about 40°C then it never ices. It can work at a slightly higher Δt if the RH is low and it still won't ice up.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The evaporator on ours usually runs at between -8°C and -25°C. Never seen it warmer than about -5°C I think, and that was in the early days, before I had properly adjusted the settings. I think they all run well below zero in heating mode much of the time, thinking about it, they have to in order to extract a useful amount of heat from fairly cold outside air.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

We are currently being assisted by the fact that the cold air from the polar regions is naturally dryer as per OGB's observation. Even here on the north west coast where we are clinging on to plus 2 overnight there was zero frost on the ground or the cars - at 7 am we had a ten minute rain fall that froze on impact with the cars - but not the ground? and then a snow flurry and now its bright the air is still and as a result it feels warmer than it actually is.

Moxi
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Finally its iced up. :evil:

I sensed there was not the same amount of heat coming out of the downstairs unit, but not that much less.

A little later it automatically stopped, I think the standby light came on, I went outside and I saw the ice on the outdoor unit, then the fan stopped and the compressor went into reverse for about 10 mins. No cold coming out of indoor unit, all ice gone and another 5 mins and there is hot air coming out of the indoor unit again. I did not have to do anything, it was all automatic.

And the heat is way up again in the lounge so no drama so far in this sub zero spell. :mrgreen:

As my GSHP is currently out of action I am leaving these A2A HPs on 24/7 for now.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3