Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Fintray

Re: Small things matter

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:58 pm Absolutely, tomorrow is treefelling and wood collecting at a mates. I think we are drying for Winter 24 now. :D
Brushwork, Friday.
On the solar front, we managed 09.50 to 13.50 today at a constant 73% soc. TBH, I'm not looking for anything at this time of year so it's excellent to see!
Got 9.5kWh today which was a bit of a surprise, having a wood stove means always thinking ahead.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

A Chap down the road from us just bought an old house and they are steadily doing it up - yesterday and today they have been cutting and logging two large trees out of the garden, one was a sycamore so ok for firewood but the other was a laburnum - I hope the fella knows his trees, he should do as he brought a tractor in today with a PTO splitter on the back.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:14 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:58 pm Absolutely, tomorrow is treefelling and wood collecting at a mates. I think we are drying for Winter 24 now. :D
Brushwork, Friday.
On the solar front, we managed 09.50 to 13.50 today at a constant 73% soc. TBH, I'm not looking for anything at this time of year so it's excellent to see!
Got 9.5kWh today which was a bit of a surprise, having a wood stove means always thinking ahead.
Nice one! We were under 3kW total. The logs I Stacked today were split Feb. I'll empty that front store by Feb 23 or so and go again to fill it! We start with about 8 cubic mtrs split when both stores full.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ran the stove up properly today. Hits 265 deg on the WBS itself,150+ on the inner layer of thermal bricks and a little over 100 on the outer layer. Will have try a couple big hardwood logs and see where it goes to. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Thought you might like this Joe.

We did some major digging in the garden - it slopes, we built ‘raised’ beds to terrace it. House is 1930’s, though the land used to have stabling for a coach house (16C) below us.

Found many pottery bits and pieces - found this about 3’ down. Heavily corroded.

Anyway, cleaned up ok and still works :lol:

Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:48 pm Nice one! We were under 3kW total. The logs I Stacked today were split Feb. I'll empty that front store by Feb 23 or so and go again to fill it! We start with about 8 cubic mtrs split when both stores full.
How did you do today, I had less than 0.5kWh all from the garage panels, the Solaredge system did nothing due to the panels being covered in snow. :(
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:21 pm Thought you might like this Joe.

We did some major digging in the garden - it slopes, we built ‘raised’ beds to terrace it. House is 1930’s, though the land used to have stabling for a coach house (16C) below us.

Found many pottery bits and pieces - found this about 3’ down. Heavily corroded.

That's got a look of a kilt pin or similar, nice find. Or Roman toga!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:28 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:21 pm Thought you might like this Joe.

That's got a look of a kilt pin or similar, nice find. Or Roman toga!
I thought it was a poker, but not got the obligatory mug to scale it by.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

It’s a small poker - suits the stove in the ‘day room’. Took the pic in a bit of a hurry (Granddog needed to go outside) while I remembered. Then realised no scaling :roll:

Here you go, sorry, no mug, just the only thing I had to hand :lol: And yes, Fintray was right, a poker - well, that’s what we’re using it as.

Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Bit of satisfaction today. We removed a couple of Bay trees (approx 12’ tall, trunk approx 8-10”dia) while remodelling part of the garden.

Although small, logged, split and stored them. Surprisingly, ready to go now (15% mc).

Used them today - wow - burns so well and hot.

Very few fuel miles (about 30 metres) and better than disposing of them - could have left them to decompose in the garden, but we do have plenty of other areas to support flora and fauna.

Only regret - didn’t cook something on the stove today - always tomorrow ;)

We also have a lot of Hazel hedging - keep meaning to manage it more productively for wood - it’s never going to give anything more than ‘large kindling’, but it makes garden management a bit more cyclical.