Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

Go Joe ! As long as there’s not too much Capsaicin floating around the room as they dry.

I could share a story of a friend borrowing the works van to go ‘courting’ - unfortunately ‘the works’ used to produce Capsaicin resin for the food industry. OK, Errol Flynn thought it was an aid - they didn’t :oops:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

BTB I have an African multiple condom story which may have been urban legend with regard to a hot sauce layer Sadly I can't share it here. I had my own finger to itchy eyelid experience with the not shown scotch bonnets harvested today. Blind in one eye for a good 10 mins! We freeze the Scotch bonnets flat and whole on trays then quickly bag and long term freeze. They don't stick together this way.

Par boiled home grown tatties for roasting, SWMBO is making tattie & leek soup and we are having coffee with her tropical sponge cake. Banana, coconut & pineapple.

Only the cake used electric, stove did the rest! :) Plus the seebeck effect is force drying the chilli's at the moment.

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I think a story where the first four words beginning with ‘African condom’ needs telling over a few beers :shock:

Chillies, though, fresh or dried, are a panacea. We just haven’t realised yet ;)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 pm I think a story where the first four words beginning with ‘African condom’ needs telling over a few beers :shock:

Chillies, though, fresh or dried, are a panacea. We just haven’t realised yet ;)
Absolutely, I will be hoping for a Ripple piss up, sorry picnic Spring 22. Chillies work with everything. We have been growing our own for years. I have a new small bush type that we picked up in Crete this year. Will grow that next year too.

Hopefully a few of 'us' will make it the picnic. We enjoyed Wales so much this year that we were speaking about coming back even before we were over the border. A lot to like!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Chillies are addictive! We got our children into eating curries by initially using a pinch instead of a teaspoon, then increasing it gradually as they grew up. When they left home we got more and more heavily into hotter curries... until we had grandchildren! Then it was back to mild curries so that we weren't disappointed when we ate with them.

We still have a jam-jar of shredded dried home-grown chilli that we aren't getting through at all, plus loads of dry whole ones. Plus some frozen ones...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We have been on the same path! No grandchildren yet though so still full steam ahead on the heat. I'll be throwing together a haggis broth soon and will add the scotch bonnet for the smokiness and heat. Any old excuse! :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Filling up a little each day.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tomato & chilli pasta sauce with scotch & cayenne alongside tomorrow Beef Stifado cooked with smoked paprika and scotch bonnet.

Water preboiled on stove for pasta then single electric element fed from batteries to cook pasta. Love this stuff! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Back up from a long weekend in Glasgow and a colder breeze is now defo blowing. Today's heat and cook has been par boil of home grown tatties and parsnips, full cook of SWMBO sticky red cabbage, 6 cups of tea, a full kettle drain clear thru pre holiday. No gas and all PV generated went into house duties or battery stack.

SWMBO goes into turbo mode pre hols so we've had washing machine on 3 times, Dyson has been on all day along with iron. Batteries at 80% and rising. Pretty much the ultimate test and quite unexpected! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Looking good - still to light the house stoves - solar gain/ambient is fine. Been cooking on the outside cooker, be on the inside one soon enough.

Turkish sunshine’s going to be a bit of a shock for you.