Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

dlw

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by dlw »

Oh looking at everyone elses 3hr usage I wish I fully charged my battery now, I'm not at home but I could see that the family had used a bit of electricity, if this works I am going to make sure I get as much use as possible next time but at the moment anything will be better than the 0 I received for the last few sessions
16 250w Trina panels
Voltronic Axpert Max 8Kw hybrid inverter
3 x Chinese 125Ah (19Kwh total) batteries
To be done, more panels and a wind turbine
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

MrPablo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:42 pm The API returns an uncapped value, somehow I managed to roll over onto another 12 months at a 6p cap this summer.

http://mysmartenergy.uk/Tracker/North-W ... d-Cheshire is useful to see historical and current tracker prices, at least once you adjust your area. On a day like this I'm glad I'm still on the v1 tariff...
I have that for my area too. Huge disparity between the two. I'm going to go sunnyside up and assume I'm being charged 1.57p per kWh. Fingers 🤞
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Now we are in the saving zone I decided not to go offgrid this time as I don't want my GSHP to restart and maybe blow a fuse. But I did add an additional 10W of fixed export to my battery inverter and forced a washing machine moratorium on SWMBO until 7pm because I don't want any electric motors stopping and starting leading to some import leakage. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
marshman

Post by marshman »

I like "gaming" the system as much as the next person, but at the risk of being chastised as being a party pooper, I must say I find it wrong that members of a "sustainablilty" forum are are literally wasting electricity for the sake of it just to make a few quid - especially at a time when the grid is pretty "dirty", no in fact very dirty with coal, OCGT, biomass, and gas all pretty much maxed out. Then on top of that all good intentions of not burning gas go out the window, again for a few quid.

Most things I have done in terms of energy efficiency and "treading lightly" on the planet have been done have been done with major consideration to saving money, so I understand the attraction of the "game", but not to the extent where I would blatantly waste or use as much as possible just to make money . It sticks in my throat almost as much as the RHI paying commercial enterprises to burn as much biomass as they could resulting in them turning the heating up full and leaving the doors open.

There I have said it !
nowty

Post by nowty »

@marshman, I appreciate your view,

Its not wasted though, the car was at 20% and I don't have any cheapslot headroom, its freezing outside and I still need home battery charge to get me through without resorting to gas. I still need storage heater top up to supplement my heatpump. And the headroom I have now created for tonight will go into the EV. If my EV was already full I would have drawn much less earlier because otherwise I would have been wasting it.

Some others may have also learnt a bit more about their battery systems and how they can get the most out of them.

And finally we may be helping foster the saving sessions to more folk who might join in the live events and avoid the need for any planned blackouts.
Last edited by nowty on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

marshman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm I like "gaming" the system as much as the next person, but at the risk of being chastised as being a party pooper, I must say I find it wrong that members of a "sustainablilty" forum are are literally wasting electricity for the sake of it just to make a few quid - especially at a time when the grid is pretty "dirty", no in fact very dirty with coal, OCGT, biomass, and gas all pretty much maxed out. Then on top of that all good intentions of not burning gas go out the window, again for a few quid.

Most things I have done in terms of energy efficiency and "treading lightly" on the planet have been done have been done with major consideration to saving money, so I understand the attraction of the "game", but not to the extent where I would blatantly waste or use as much as possible just to make money . It sticks in my throat almost as much as the RHI paying commercial enterprises to burn as much biomass as they could resulting in them turning the heating up full and leaving the doors open.

There I have said it !
My caveat on gas as stated a couple of months back is that I'll take up to a 30% personal financial hit to keep off gas, beyond that and I'll use it, today I am on a 71.5% discount gas v's electricity. I learned a lesson today on the difference in pricing on various web resources and will be speaking to Octopus about that tomorrow. Would I have let the WBS burn down and kept the GCH on if the price stayed negative, absolutely yes. I am no angel. :twisted:

The truly interesting part of this is the dynamics available. I will soon come off of a great go faster rate, I'll lose an hour charging and the price per kWh will more than double. On the upside I have three separate systems, two of which I can control from anywhere with a net signal. Ripple are tripling the per kWh take from March on WT1, who knows what price will be set on WT 2-9. The Northern hydroturbine is chucking out power, don't even know the price per kWh there. I am a seriously networked microgenerating multi faceted beastie. This is without mentioning PV or storage. I guess we all set our own limits based on an internal moral compass. See, even more dynamics! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

marshman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm I like "gaming" the system as much as the next person, but at the risk of being chastised as being a party pooper, I must say I find it wrong that members of a "sustainablilty" forum are are literally wasting electricity for the sake of it just to make a few quid - especially at a time when the grid is pretty "dirty", no in fact very dirty with coal, OCGT, biomass, and gas all pretty much maxed out. Then on top of that all good intentions of not burning gas go out the window, again for a few quid.

There I have said it !
I 100% agree with you, and very, very firmly believe that the best ethos for us all is to tread as lightly as we can on the ecosystem of this planet. We don't have a reserve, despite what Elon Musk might think about Mars, and in my view (which everyone is free to disagree with, or ban me from here for stating) is to use the least resources we possibly can, and make the very best use of those resources to live well, support our families and try to make this planet sustainable for our children, grandchildren and many future generations. We should be setting an example by our actions as to how we can cause the least damage to all life on this wonderful planet of ours.

I'll go back into hibernation now, remembering to poke that rod up my backside as instructed yesterday for daring to speak my mind.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

nowty wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:55 pm

Some others may have also learnt a bit more about their battery systems and how they can get the most out of them.
Yes I am in that category and as I wrote before it got me into understanding how to program my charging even though I do not have access to an off peak rate[1]. It has also shown what I had already guessed, that I would have benefited from a bigger battery to carry me through a whole day.

I guess the only loss of efficiency was the charge-discharge cycle of 3kWh through my battery.

I also think it was a valid exercise in showing how a battery can be used just for peak lopping.

[1]Actually the Eon eco7 rate is quite attractive, standing charge unchanged and peak rate moves up to 40p while economy7 at 15p (actually I cannot remember the exact rates and I am having trouble logging into my account atm.

The kicker is they want £157 to replace the two year old smart meter
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
nowty

Post by nowty »

The Octopus was a bit bemused earlier,

Its for warming my dinner plates and keeping the oven hot for cooking my dinner after 7pm, thermal mass you know, stays hot for the whole saving session.

I had a thread about using an oven as a storage heater a while back.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=638
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:20 pm

There I have said it !
I 100% agree with you, and very, very firmly believe that the best ethos for us all is to tread as lightly as we can on the ecosystem of this planet. We don't have a reserve, despite what Elon Musk might think about Mars, and in my view (which everyone is free to disagree with, or ban me from here for stating) is to use the least resources we possibly can, and make the very best use of those resources to live well, support our families and try to make this planet sustainable for our children, grandchildren and many future generations. We should be setting an example by our actions as to how we can cause the least damage to all life on this wonderful planet of ours.

I'll go back into hibernation now, remembering to poke that rod up my backside as instructed yesterday for daring to speak my mind.
I dont know that anyone on here has wasted any energy.

My point of view is that I have invested heavily, out of my own pocket, to be more green and self sufficient. Now it seems that the government is trying to encourage people to help them out of the mess they have created, by offering financial incentives. By time shifting my usage I am taking advantage of that incentive. Why should I not benefit from that, when others can, after all it's only a very very small refund on the investment I'd made.

Many times in the past the government has penalised me by subsequently altering the rules and rarely helps those that help themselves.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW