Extending life of stuff

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Extending life of stuff

Post by Joeboy »

Today I am trying something new. Fitting a new sole front section to SWMBO fave ankle 👢.

I am quite enjoying the challenge, using woodclamps and dumb Bell single weights to hold in place while the glue sets.

Total price, £5 for the kit
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Djs63

Re: Extending life of stuff

Post by Djs63 »

What kind of glue please?
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, PV 8 KW solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Go Joe :D

Firm believer in mend and make do, repair and reuse, recycling or whatever it’s called. So much stuff that is still useable is just binned.

It’s a great attitude to have and is immensely satisfying when you restore/fix something that’s deemed ‘broken’.

You only acquire skills by having a go.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Djs63 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:33 am What kind of glue please?
for sticking suede leather to the bottom of indoor shoes I use Evo-stik time-bond or similar. Have done it several times now and it works well - SWMBO buys suede remnants for the job from a fabric shop, Abakhan I think.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Got a very similar job, its been on my to do list for a couple of weeks now to SWMBO dismay. ;)

I'm currently using the excuse of its too cold to go to the shed to find my clamps. I'm going to have a go with slow setting Araldite, I have it in stock and I used some from a pair of 15+ year old tubes a few weeks back to fix the fridge door.

Last edited by nowty on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Djs63 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:33 am What kind of glue please?

It was a very drippy & squidgy for the first 5 to 10 minutes then it started to firm up. Will need a trim up once set otherwise there will be Yeti tracks on our drive!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Also making up black out fixed blinds for Turkish hoose. A window and a door to be done. Again recycling material to hand and a decent blue & white blind from an upcycling shop for a quid.

Hopefully the boots will bounce back when the weights are off! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm a little behind you Joeboy, but this glue will take till tomorrow to fully cure.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Glue, depends on the shoe.

My 14 year old leather sandals came loose (the foamy rubber sole) for which bostik? ..has a very good flexible fixer, they live on!

Conversely a hardly worn pair of sketchers "rockers" circa 2010..foam type sole crumbled into nothing requiring "binning" earlier.

Generally why I wear caterpillar colorado medium tops mostly (now with raised inner soles) asthey have proven durable & can be downgraded to mucky duty as they age, split etc.

Modern clamps are very handy, ..previously it was a bench vice or furniture lifted on to aid compression for glueing as the solution.

Been putting replacement heels on daughters riiding jodphur boots for years, same / less orice than lesser fashion boots also with "classic styling" always happy at the opportunity when leather outlasts the sole (which you must catch in time lest it go through deeper into a moulding allowing water ingress & debatable repairability)

Good shoes are old friends, & shoes are buggers where recycling is concerned, thus I wear em till they fall off my feet.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The soles of my work boots split whilst I was building this house, letting water in. At the time I had an open tube of black Sikaflex PU sealant I was using, so I swapped the boots for wellies and liberally squirted Sikaflex into the cracks with the sole flexed to open the crack right out, then just let it all squidge out and set. That was around six or seven years ago, and the boots are still going strong, although the mess of Sikaflex on the bottom doesn't look pretty!
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter