Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:58 pm Off Topic.

Joe, I hope that you are aware a couple of kindle / google digital pratchett books are on sale cheaply ever month?

Whilst I have many, (inc a signed copy of the 5th elephant) it's nice to have digital to read anywhere(ish)
I do seem to remember him back in around 86 at the royal horticultural halls sitting at a table for a then still very new & not so known Discworld at a mostly empty table, ...I wish I had the balls to chat to him.

Great man, author, eternal child, sorely missed.

I "think" i've had a few beers in the same elbow space as Alan Moore (DR & Quinch, Swamp thing etc) a couple of times, but I don't like to invade someone's privacy, ..& he does have a rasputin-esque metal music type look that can kill. :lol:

(nor wanting to explain myself if it wasn't either)
Authors have their own mystique. The couple I've been around I leave well alone. On the TP's, got a fI'll set here in Scotland, 2/3rds set in Turkey and 9/10ths digital. I just loved his observations on the human.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Couldn't resist Ripples offer of securing first dibs in their second wind farm up in Scotland.
Having transitioned away from FF's in the last three years I won't know till the end of the year what our annual import might eventually turn out to be, so instead based it on a guesstimate of 4.5 MWh's and bought sufficient output in the first farm to cover most of it.
Have to confess to being tempted to top it up to the 100% in order to gain a third badge but resisted until now. Decided to plump for the 120% when the time comes.
Please correct me if I've misinterpreted matters but it appears to me that, in an average year with wholesale cost of leccy at 6.5p/kWh then the return on investment is an impressive 7%...ish. But I've no idea if 6.5p can be considered an average figure, either historically or in the future! :?
Any thoughts?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ripples last forecast was for a 4.5p rebate per kWh generated which works out at about 6% return. What you get is the difference between the wholesale price and the operating cost. The operating cost is cheap and largely fixed but is not zero.

With increase in the gas price, and therefore increases in electricity wholesale prices, I would think the return might end up being somewhat higher.

PS - Your admission has now added you onto my second secret list for WT2 which is currently 5 members. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

... except that the Ripple payment is for the electrons generated, which will offset our power bills and hopefully a bit more, but as I understand it, those of us getting our power through the mains pay about twice as much again for transmission including for the renewables obligation - even though we are hoping to consume only renewable energy!
So the Ripple payment might knock about a third off our bills. I shall be very pleased if it turns out to be better!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:36 pm ... except that the Ripple payment is for the electrons generated, which will offset our power bills and hopefully a bit more, but as I understand it, those of us getting our power through the mains pay about twice as much again for transmission including for the renewables obligation - even though we are hoping to consume only renewable energy!
So the Ripple payment might knock about a third off our bills. I shall be very pleased if it turns out to be better!
A
Yes but those of us on Octopus Go with batteries to get you through peak times only pay 5p / kWh anyway, so I expect my bill to be close to zero. My father bought 3x his usage so even on standard tariff his bill will still likely be zero.

If you buy less than 7000 kWh's worth, there is no evidence required on your actual usage. The limit was a Financial Services Authority (FSA) requirement to avoid tax evasion.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

Hi Nowty, you can add me to your secret list for Ripples second wind turbine.
All the best.
Malcolm.
20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mojomal wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:16 pm Hi Nowty, you can add me to your secret list for Ripples second wind turbine.
All the best.
Malcolm.
Now 6 members of a wind turbine we officially know nothing about. :lol:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm If you buy less than 7000 kWh's worth, there is no evidence required on your actual usage. The limit was a Financial Services Authority (FSA) requirement to avoid tax evasion.
Thanks for that, maybe I will buy in to No 2 on the basis of my planned heat pump (one day!)...
p.s: done - make it 7!

A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Inskip75

Post by Inskip75 »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm If you buy less than 7000 kWh's worth, there is no evidence required on your actual usage. The limit was a Financial Services Authority (FSA) requirement to avoid tax evasion.
I didn't know this - thanks for posting and very useful before WT2 :D
5.6kW PV
0.8kW WT1 and 1.2kW WT2
9.6kWh batteries
3.5kW+2.5kW ASHP
Zappi
Seat Mii Electric
nowty

Post by nowty »

Inskip75 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 pm
I didn't know this - thanks for posting and very useful before WT2 :D
To be clear on Graig Fatha the forcasted 6999kWh's per year is about 2600w or about £4,500.
The cost per watt might be different for WT2.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3