Anyone else had a bill for the recent cold snap?

Stig

Re: Anyone else had a bill for the recent cold snap?

Post by Stig »

Just got my statement from Eon:
£40.04 electricity
£105.15 gas

A bit of a shock as I've been trying to be frugal, only heating to 18C ish.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

What's the betting we see a rise in the price of insulation? Spoke to the chap that runs our parish council just before Christmas and he was complaining about not being able to find anyone to give him a quote to add insulation to his old house. Apparently the insulation companies are now getting rushed off their feet. Nothing like a cold snap, combined with high energy costs, to get people thinking about insulation.

In his case I doubt he'll be able to do much, his house has solid stone walls and single glazed sash windows, and, unlike us, he's in the conservation area, as well as being within the AONB. Only one step down from being in a national park in terms of restrictions on what you can do.

Can't help feeling sorry for people caught like this. They bought nice looking houses, in a lovely little village, and now find there's not much they can do to insulate them and heat them affordably.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

£174.79 electricity
£5.80 gas

Once I’ve added back the government bung, WT1 ripple rebate and redeemed the Octopoints on a couple of saving sessions, bill will be about £60 negative.
Last edited by nowty on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:31 pm What's the betting we see a rise in the price of insulation? Spoke to the chap that runs our parish council just before Christmas and he was complaining about not being able to find anyone to give him a quote to add insulation to his old house. Apparently the insulation companies are now getting rushed off their feet. Nothing like a cold snap, combined with high energy costs, to get people thinking about insulation.

In his case I doubt he'll be able to do much, his house has solid stone walls and single glazed sash windows, and, unlike us, he's in the conservation area, as well as being within the AONB. Only one step down from being in a national park in terms of restrictions on what you can do.

Can't help feeling sorry for people caught like this. They bought nice looking houses, in a lovely little village, and now find there's not much they can do to insulate them and heat them affordably.
How long is it going to be until it is recognised that keeping houses warm at a reasonable cost (and not wasting energy, does anybody in authority think that matters?) is crucial? The listing of buildings is treated as some holy cow when in fact it ruins people's lives.
(The other thing is that it might only be some specific feature which is listed, so that reading the small print releases people from lots of imagined restrictions. My parents had a listed house and they found that the only feature that they were not allowed to change was an (one) oriel window overlooking the road.)

It must be acceptable to put in internal secondary glazing at least... Above that our uPVC double-glazed sash windows are almost indistinguishable from what we had before, and I think that if I had gone for a "ripply" outer layer of glass in the units nobody would have spotted that they were new.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

We have machined a deeper rebate in sash windows to fit 16mm double glazed units for people who live in conservation areas. You can also buy parting beads and staff beads with grooves in them for draught proofing. I am pretty sure you would be able to do this in a listed building too..

Not so sure about EWI with Silicone render though.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Cost of energy directly impacts the cost to melt rocks to spin into rock candy floss. Can't do that on wind power.

PIR also similar increase in cost.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 pm Cost of energy directly impacts the cost to melt rocks to spin into rock candy floss. Can't do that on wind power.

PIR also similar increase in cost.
Did the PIR ever come back down in price after the shortage/German factory fire?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

No, wholesalers aren't silly.

Same with sheetwood. :lol:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:52 pm No, wholesalers aren't silly.

I thought it would go that way. :(
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Swwils wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:52 pm No, wholesalers aren't silly.

Just make that anything!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf