Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
AGT

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by AGT »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:46 am
AGT wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:23 am
Joeboy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:08 am
That's is quite a thought! I think that this is the month (and Feb) we've all been waiting for to see what the beastie can do.

Me n swmbo are into Jan with £50 in the VB and incrementally improving PV. Looking forward to seeing just how far we can get before ponying up. :twisted:

Can I ask what the ‘cf’ means where you have 86.35%?

cheers
Capacity factor, means the percentage of potential performance realised. Also the easiest way for us to talk on a level playing field as owners. Regardless of how much an individual owns we all have the same capacity factor

If Johnny owns 1kWh of the turbine and it runs at 90% cf than means Johnny generated 0.9kWh in that hour.

In 24hrs at 100% cf Johnny should generate 24kWhs. If he generates 18kWh then 18/24 is 75% cf for the day.

Appreciate you taking the time to explain!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Up until midnight last night CF for Jan was 62.5%. It will undoubtedly fall back from this hiatus by month end but what a ride we'll have in the mean time. :D
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:29 am
John_S wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:57 am Now that the final December numbers are in, I see that Ripple adjusted daily generation back to 23 December. Prior to that, daily figures had never been adjusted after the updated to date on the dashboard.
I hadn't really noticed much difference, but you are right, my monthly return has been slightly above my calculated total. However as it's only a percent or so (and always upwards!) I'm not going to worry about it...
It would seem the total figure has now been corrected on their website. At least on my account anyway. Well spotted both!
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:14 pm Each time I get enthused about getting some more in Ripple I have to remind myself that I can use gas at about 10 pence a unit or electricity at 36p! Even with Ripple rebates of 9.6p, soon to be 27p a unit, using more electricity is an own goal as I pay more transmission charges etc.
A
Have you thought about an investment in a small battery system and go with a TOU tariff to get that average price per kWh down. I appreciate you might not have an EV but even a E7 tariff might dramatically help you.

It might, and I have, but I want to go the whole hog! I was going to get the whole thing done at once, but my current thoughts on phasing my transition (which probably ought to be in another thread) are as follows:

1) get pv on W-facing front roof with batteries in enclosed unheated porch, job to include removal of chimney stack which shades it. Unfortunately this can only happen after we replace the current open-flue gas fire...

2) extra pv (200% more) on E and S-facing roof... which has to wait for me to rebuild the eaves, needed anyway but will enlarge the roof too!

My difficulty is finding a supplier prepared to fit in with this - and go with my wishes for loads of Pylontechs supported off my own hanging framework!

I hadn't thought of just doing the batteries as phase 1...
Thanks
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:12 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:14 pm Each time I get enthused about getting some more in Ripple I have to remind myself that I can use gas at about 10 pence a unit or electricity at 36p! Even with Ripple rebates of 9.6p, soon to be 27p a unit, using more electricity is an own goal as I pay more transmission charges etc.
A
Have you thought about an investment in a small battery system and go with a TOU tariff to get that average price per kWh down. I appreciate you might not have an EV but even a E7 tariff might dramatically help you.

It might, and I have, but I want to go the whole hog! I was going to get the whole thing done at once, but my current thoughts on phasing my transition (which probably ought to be in another thread) are as follows:

1) get pv on W-facing front roof with batteries in enclosed unheated porch, job to include removal of chimney stack which shades it. Unfortunately this can only happen after we replace the current open-flue gas fire...

2) extra pv (200% more) on E and S-facing roof... which has to wait for me to rebuild the eaves, needed anyway but will enlarge the roof too!

My difficulty is finding a supplier prepared to fit in with this - and go with my wishes for loads of Pylontechs supported off my own hanging framework!

I hadn't thought of just doing the batteries as phase 1...
Thanks
A
My AE, that's sounds quite a task you have in mind there, but will be a brilliant setup once complete. All power to your elbow on that matter.
Your mention of a chimney stack reminds me of taking one down some twenty years ago when our son bought his property. Nothing to do with PV, it was just a tad on the lean so didn't want to risk it falling through the roof at some future point. Was just as well for he finally got round to installing PV last year on both E and W facing roofs. The chimney would have been at the south end of it and causing shade on each so a fortunate coincidence perhaps.
I have often thought that when not in use what a huge heat sink they must be, sucking heat from the rest of the structure.
No idea if the latter makes any sense?
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:16 pm
Fintray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:13 pm Decembers figures are now on your dashboards. :D
Cheers Fintray, better than I expected, standby for capacity factor graph. :geek:
And now deposited in our Octopus account so less than 24 hrs since the generation figure was submitted to Ripple!
As for Capacity Factor 34.4% according to my sheet.
Perhaps Nowty would be kind enough to advise if it measures up to expectations based upon historical data!

Ooops! Apologies Nowty, just discovered you already have! :roll:
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:46 pm
nowty wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:16 pm
Fintray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:13 pm Decembers figures are now on your dashboards. :D
Cheers Fintray, better than I expected, standby for capacity factor graph. :geek:
And now deposited in our Octopus account so less than 24 hrs since the generation figure was submitted to Ripple!
As for Capacity Factor 34.4% according to my sheet.
Perhaps Nowty would be kind enough to advise if it measures up to expectations based upon historical data!
I posted it a page back but here it is again. :evil:

Latest capacity factor graph update for WT1 verses the share offer P75 baseline.
Dec was a bit down due to the very cold high pressure weather but Jan looks like its going to smash the baseline.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Cheers Nowty and apologies once again.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:41 pm Cheers Nowty and apologies once again.
No worries, another excuse for posting capacity factors. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

:lol: Agree with you there. It's not something I've previously particularly understood, or taken too much notice of. Now, I've added a column specifically for it showing a rolling figure for the month as each days total is added. Currently sitting at 61.6%.

As you say any excuse. :D