Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Bugtownboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Bugtownboy »

Nah ! I’ll be having a smug look on my face then anyway - can you have a double-smug look :?:

S’pose we’ll find out :lol:
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Do any of you actually live near the turbine? Does ripple offer a localised market for the generation?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:14 pm Do any of you actually live near the turbine? Does ripple offer a localised market for the generation?
Read their website.

It's kinda funny. I'll admit to being a thin skinned Jock with tbh, limited tolerance of wankers and an ongoing conflict resolution style that even i think is debateable. In saying that it seems that you flush one arsehole out the pipe that has ongoing 'views' and by a miraculous 'nature abhors a vacuum' rule, another pops right out.

Let's not do 'actually', let's not do 'should', let's in fact treat this space as the wonderful oasis of open optimism, sharing and learning in generalised RE that it is, has been and will continue to be in your or indeed my absence.

.You don't have to like that throttle on your amazing opinions but you also have the option to fuck off out the forum. As I said, my conflict resolution style is a bit basic but it does work and it's honest. I also hope it communicates the general 'don't be an ongoing dick' groove going on here to all.

P.S We are in a New Year, fortunate enough that we have 270+ wonderful members. Absolutely excellent 👏 👌.
The whole show here is to exchange ideas with the entire value and reason for the forum being your 💡 and their enormous value to each and every one of us. If anyone has an axe to grind, I respectfully ask them to seek a grindstone elsewhere, then come back refreshed.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:59 pm Nah ! I’ll be having a smug look on my face then anyway - can you have a double-smug look :?:

S’pose we’ll find out :lol:
Your smugness singular or plural will be appreciated. ;) I'll knock together a wee chart for those betting types that are in. Door remains open for those gaming types willing to contend for a cost free hour of smugness. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:42 pm
Swwils wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:14 pm Do any of you actually live near the turbine? Does ripple offer a localised market for the generation?
Read their website.

It's kinda funny. I'll admit to being a thin skinned Jock with tbh, limited tolerance of wankers and an ongoing conflict resolution style that even i think is debateable. In saying that it seems that you flush one arsehole out the pipe that has ongoing 'views' and by a miraculous 'nature abhors a vacuum' rule, another pops right out.

Let's not do 'actually', let's not do 'should', let's in fact treat this space as the wonderful oasis of open optimism, sharing and learning in generalised RE that it is, has been and will continue to be in your or indeed my absence.

.You don't have to like that throttle on your amazing opinions but you also have the option to fuck off out the forum. As I said, my conflict resolution style is a bit basic but it does work and it's honest. I also hope it communicates the general 'don't be an ongoing dick' groove going on here to all.

P.S We are in a New Year, fortunate enough that we have 270+ wonderful members. Absolutely excellent 👏 👌.
The whole show here is to exchange ideas with the entire value and reason for the forum being your 💡 and their enormous value to each and every one of us. If anyone has an axe to grind, I respectfully ask them to seek a grindstone elsewhere, then come back refreshed.
I can't see any mention of it on the website and they seem well placed to try the benefits of nodal pricing? I am just unsure if they would go for an arrangement like the 2MW at Ovenden.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:15 pm
Read their website.

I can't see any mention of it on the website and they seem well placed to try the benefits of nodal pricing? I am just unsure if they would go for an arrangement like the 2MW at Ovenden.
And?
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm
Swwils wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:15 pm

Read their website.

And?
And? It's literally what the NGESO put forward in market reform phase 3 so would have a huge impact positive on RE.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Are you suffering from 'everyone knows what I know' syndrome? I have zero idea of what NGESO is.
Enlighten us?

Anyway, it's late here, night all. See you for the CF count in the AM.

P.S I'm not being facetious but it is worth taking a moment to reference or explain. My original hope for the site was that we would share info and help each other other along.

I have pulled myself up short many times when talking realising that just because I know a thing, others don't. A basic human failing that all but the perfect fall into and i've not met them yet!
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

National Grid Energy System Operator - NGESO.

In this context where we are waiting for new transmission, generators and consumers don't care where the energy is coming from and going to (prices are independent in the UK) the NGESO pick up the bits and deliver the physical reality and have the final say in keeping the lights on. The NGESO look after the balancing mechanism that fixes the issues that crop up that would put the grid out of balance across the whole network.

Its meant to be a very light touch mechanism but in 2022 they have had to intervene with over 50% of generation in the UK. The balancing kinda has to happen in hour before the power is going to be used and this is a super costly way to optimise the system. I wont get into curtailment process but the base problem is that you generate RE, get paid, get paid to turn off, then pay again to generate the demand far away with gas since you cant get the RE to the location or store it.

A much more elegant solution would be to use location as the market, placing more responsibility on generators and consumers and actually worry about where the energy is coming from and where it’s going. This style of system is used in NZ, bits of US and Canada.

So the idea is you split the UK energy market into lots of small nodes and allowing prices to develop independently in each node. This would mean much lower power prices in places with high generation and low demand (Scotland, North) and much higher prices in places with lots of demand and not much generation (South).

This would provide an excellent incentive for generators, who might finally battle the NIMBYIsm of the South East and build more there. Youd also hopefully see energy-intensive industries move North, closer to existing RE.

NGESO like this idea and want to start to dramatically get it going in 5 years under the "Net Zero Market Reform Phase 3 Conclusions" - Catapult & Octopus estimate this could save £30 billion within 10 years. Other people in the market hate the idea as they remember the last rejig in 2000s.

1. https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 6/download
2. https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 6/download
Last edited by Swwils on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 pm National Grid Energy System Operator - NGESO.

In this context where generators and consumers don't care where the energy is coming from and going to (prices are independent in the UK) the NGESO pick up the bits and deliver the physical reality and have the final say in keeping the lights on. The NGESO look after the balancing mechanism that fixes the issues that crop up that would put the grid out of balance across the whole network.

Its meant to be a very light touch mechanism but in 2022 they have had to intervene with over 50% of generation in the UK. The balancing kinda has to happen in hour before the power is going to be used and this is a super costly way to optimise the system. I wont get into curtailment process but the base problem is that you generate RE, get paid, get paid to turn off, then pay again to generate the demand far away with gas since you cant get the RE to the location or store it.

A much more elegant solution would be to use location as the market, placing more responsibility on generators and consumers and actually worry about where the energy is coming from and where it’s going. This style of system is used in NZ, bits of US and Canada.

So the idea is you split the UK energy market into lots of small nodes and allowing prices to develop independently in each node. This would mean much lower power prices in places with high generation and low demand (Scotland, North) and much higher prices in places with lots of demand and not much generation (South).

This would provide an excellent incentive for generators, who might finally battle the NIMBYIsm of the South East and build more there. Youd also hopefully see energy-intensive industries move North, closer to existing RE.

NGESO like this idea and want to start to dramatically get it going in 5 years under the "Net Zero Market Reform Phase 3 Conclusions" - Catapult & Octopus estimate this could save £30 billion within 10 years. Other people in the market hate the idea as they remember the last rejig in 2000s.

1. https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 6/download
2. https://www.nationalgrideso.com/documen ... 6/download
Thank you, i will read the links in the morning, much appreciated. Where are you in this?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs